Topic: Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk!

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 08:35PM - edited Feb 25, 2013 11:57PM by ToriGirl

Posted on: Feb 19, 2013 08:35PM - edited Feb 25, 2013 11:57PM by ToriGirl

ToriGirl wrote:

WELCOME TO THE LUMPECTOMY LOUNGE!

I've searched and searched BC.org and couldn't find a specific post just for those of us who have had lumpectomies (unless there was one and it got buried).  So, I thought that it was about time that we had our own place that we can come to...where we can discuss, ask questions, tell stories, seek advice, give comfort, give high fives and do the happy dance...and just feel free to let out our thoughts about the things that we have all gone through (or all currently going through, or about to go through).

Some of you have just had lumpectomies..some of you lumpectomies plus radiation, others have had lumpectomies, chemo and radiation, and still others who have had the lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and hormonal therapy.  We've all got stories...and with those stories we have questions and concerns and this is the place to put them.....so we can hear from others that have "been there, done that" and can give us a different perspective on all of it.

Let's reach as many folks as we can...I know that there are many out there that are asking, " Is this normal?  Should this be numb?  How am I supposed to sleep after surgery? When does it get better?  Do I need to call the doctor? Should this feel like this?" How is the "new normal" going to feel?  "How am I going to get through the next mammogram or MRI?"

Maybe some of you need some reassurance, maybe some of you need to know that there are others of us out there that can help...and still maybe some of you just need to scream, "My doctor didn't tell me that!"or "This sucks!" or just some nice "choice" words...  

Don't worry...we get it...we understand it...

Weather you are waiting to have your surgery, just got a lumpectomy last week or you got one years ago...share your knowledge and experiences here...

There is no limit to what we can talk about!  :)

Ready?  GO!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 26 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Apr 23, 2013 02:15PM - edited Apr 23, 2013 02:17PM by april485

Georgetta, congrats on being done with your lumpectomy.

I am in a clinical trial for partial breast rads but it isn't internal like brachytherapy/mammosite etc. I am having external beam 4-D (says 3 in my siggy cause that was the only option close enough) and I have a cone CT scan before each trmt in the morning session to make sure on point. I am having 10 trmts in one week, 2 x a day, 6 hours apart. It is very precise. Here is a copy/paste of what has been going on so far with this trial. I am at Yale btw.

Report of clincal trial so far-

Whew! I am starting to feel the exhaustion I heard tell of. I can barely function. I am not sure if by Thursday I will be working in between or driving the 45 -50 mins by myself. I feel kind of spaced out (is that what you all felt like?) and dragging big time... not myself as I am usually fairly energetic. This morning I barely made 1/2 mile on my treadmill and I stopped. Normally I pump out 2.5 to 3 miles every day.

Also, the sting is starting. But, as a frame of reference, I am on treatment #13 in two days if I was having the regular 33 trmt protocol..13 is approximately 40% of 33 in case you are wondering how I came to that. But, tomorrow morning, I am HALF WAY THERE!! 50% done with trmt #5/10!  A tiny tiny bit of pink near the nipple but no other color/skin changes that I can see. I don't suspect I will see that until after I am done as that has been what has happened for others in this trial. Only ONE person had really severe peeling the RO told me. The rest was mild to moderate.

I don't have much of an appetite today. I felt nausea again this morning and I made sure to eat some protein (Greek yogurt) before rads. I brought soup for lunch but couldn't eat it so I left it in the fridge at work and might have it tomorrow. That is about it so far. Just really really tired. Could also be other things though, who knows?

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/10/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/21/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 23, 2013 03:08PM LaurieParr wrote:

April,

We have the same DX, so it really helps me to hear your experiences. Thank you so much for sharing. God bless.

Xoxo
Laurie

"My kids are my life. They are my purpose." Dx 3/21/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 5/27/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 6/5/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/15/2013 Breast Dx 0/1 nodes

Apr 23, 2013 08:05PM RMlulu wrote:

Georgetta - so happy that all want well with your lx. Yippee no lymph nodes involved fingers&toes crossed for the final path results. Each day your body will begin to feel better and stronger. Remember we are in your pockets!
(((Hugs)))
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 23, 2013 08:11PM schoolmom wrote:

Got results of thyroid biopsy....all normal. Yeah!

saved my hair with cold caps with oncotype 21 Dx 9/12/2012, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/27/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/27/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/4/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/27/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/20/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 11/6/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Targeted Therapy 11/30/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Targeted Therapy 11/30/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Apr 23, 2013 08:14PM RMlulu wrote:

Schoolmom- yeah! Glad to hear thyroid is normal. Can't help but wonder what all is going on... My face is peeling and I wear sunscreen powder Jane Irdale makeup.
Take Care
Cindy

Dx 12/18/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/22/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/13/2013 Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 24, 2013 11:22AM ToriGirl wrote:

Fellow lumpies...

Always so happy to see this thread thriving and the many people that keep coming back to share their wisdom and advice to each other.  Forgive my lack of communication on the thread, but life has got me going a million different ways right now...when it all calms down I'll be better at checking in...

Thank you for RMlulu and April485 for taking the time they do to keep the thread going strong!

Prayers for all my sisters in lumpiehood....

Tori

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 24, 2013 03:35PM debbiema wrote:

hi everyone!  I had a lumpectomy on April 18th and while I'm feeling pretty good, there is still swelling.  Can you let me know how long your swelling and bruising lasted?  Thanks so much!  My follow up with the BS is Tuesday and I'm still waiting for final pathology!!

Dx 3/28/2013, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/14/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2013 Hormonal Therapy 10/14/2013

Apr 24, 2013 03:59PM RMlulu wrote:

Debbiema - congrats on your lx! Everyone's body is different. I'm not sure when the swelling went down over time, but it took time. I saw my BS a week after lx to receive path and the 2 week check up stitches were out. Steri srips a bit longer. Then MO & RO visits. Had a 4 week gap to heal after stitches out....breast swelling eased by then...genie bra was comfortable. Just remember going on walks used a soft cami gene bra a boob sock and then my trusted surgery sports bra...bounce was controlled ha!
Sending healing thought and best wishes for a great path report. Don't be surprise if you wrap for joy and relief it's a challenging journey...you will be fine warrior!
(((Hugs)))
Cindy

Apr 24, 2013 04:01PM - edited Apr 24, 2013 04:07PM by 35_smiling

Hello I had my lumpectomy on Friday April 12, 2013 and suposed to start radiation on May 9, 2013 (which is now on hold).  Today I received a call for my results.

We spoke with the nurse this afternoon regarding my pathology report and they said the spotty scattered mass they removed was in fact another cancer close to my known cancer area (on the right breast). 

This was told to me over the phone but I can't wait to see it in writing so I can fully understand. I am still confused regarding this....they said they would rather see something of a 2 millimeter area removed but what was removed was under 1 millimeter and I have to have another surgery to make sure everything is out. Another surgery!!! Noooo

They want me to fly back to Boston next week to speak with the surgeon then return for May 8, 2013 for surgery. I suggested considering I live in Bermuda I need to make this a one trip thing. I suggested to just remove my right breast all together and be done with all this surgery and traveling back and forth I figure if the whole right breast is removed then at least they have all the cancer. They said my two nodes came back negative...she said its a good thing and a bad thing...Wha! So confused...I think I was just in shock that my understanding skill just went out of the window when she said I have to have more surgery asap.

Also, considering its not guaranteed if they do this surgery and only remove the tissues in the area where the spotty scattered mass was...it's not guaranteed the cancer is somewhere else in that breast either.

The nurse wants me to go home and sleep on it and talk it over with my husband some more. She is going to speak with the surgeon regarding my request and also look into other options and call me back tomorrow. Then we can decided of a course of action so I can just make one trip on May 8th to perform what surgery we need.

I am not happy about this result...I just want it over...now this...I will keep you posted...

Gosh, you all have been such good friends...I guess now after all this is done my baby making days are diffidently over (at the age of 38 crying)
Sorry all, I am just feeling really teary and down right now...

2Aug12~Underwent Laminectomy & fusion of the lumar spine. 3Aug12~Underwent L4 vertebrectomy and lumbar fusion lower spine replaced by rods & 9 rounds of radiation. 13Jul.13~Zoladex LA, Carvedilol, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Sevredol & Mst. Continus Dx 8/1/2012, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 8/28/2012 Bone Chemotherapy 10/22/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin) Targeted Therapy 12/17/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/17/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 4/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 5/23/2013 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2013 Hormonal Therapy 7/12/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 24, 2013 04:45PM RMlulu wrote:

35Smiling -

(((Hugs))) what a difficult phone conversation to receive. Hope that you are able to receive a hard copy or email of path report or a patient portal where you may review in detail.
Make a list of your question and call your BS back. I email questions...helps BC team know what are my concerns and answers ready.
Is the issue larger margins! Good surgeons go back for clear/larger margins all the time.
Nodes negative should be a good thing...we all want clear margins and nodes.

Bermuda paradise, but a long way from Boston. We live in TX but retained our medical in CA so it's hit the road or skies! Understand travel challenges...

Breathe! Cry! Lay under the moon light and stars...listen to the waves kiss the shoreline.
Sending calming thoughts full of hope your way.
(((Hugs)))
Cindy

Page 26 of 2,837 (28,361 results)

Scroll to top button