Log in to post a reply
Jun 19, 2019 01:51PM
Hi! Michelle recommended I come on over to the lumpectomy lounge and gather the wealth of information you all have, so here I am!
I was diagnosed in February with IDC grade 2, HER2 - , PR + oncotype 2(very low risk) . The MRI showed the little bugger to be quite diverse in how it was spread through the tissue of the breast. I was told: "Think fingers spreading out, not a lump."
The MO I saw and the SO conferred and decided to put me on Anastrozolex daily for 6 months, with 6 week checks to try to get the little bugger to shrink some so the surgeon would have to take less breast tissue for the lumpectomy to get clean margins. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. No big deal, very curable.
Well, I just saw the MO and the little bugger (per Ultrasound 2 days ago) has grown not shrunk. Pretty scary considering I am on Anastrozole AND it is a slow growing type tumor. The MO is consulting today with the SO for a final decision, but he is leaning toward lumpectomy sooner rather than later.
My head is swirling. From the start I was concerned, confused by and eventually convinced by my expert team that my outcome was the same if I waited and tried to shrink the little bugger or did the lumpectomy/node biopsy immediately. That I couldn't not have the cancer staged, because they were doing the lumpectomy AFTER trying Anastrozole to shrink it was frightening but I trust my MO. Now the little bugger is growing and what was so far off, in October, is suddenly right here: surgery and node biopsy.
I am scared the way it is shaped. Will it be hard getting clean margins. The MO and SO had originally agreed that hey wanted me to wait so the tumor was smaller , to allow the surgeon to take less tissue. So now what am I thinking? "Oh sh*t, its bigger, now how much is coming out during surgery??"
And of course, as our heads do, we worry and wait and worry some more. I am thinking about the node biopsy. All of my care team was happy to wait to do the biopsy until October, but if the little bugger is growing not shrinking, my brain is yelling "Oh crap, the nodes!! What if?".
I am not sure I actually have a question; more of a lump of fear in my throat that is larger than the little bugger in my boob.
If you are still here, thanks for reading my ramble, and thanks for being here :)
2/20/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)
Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal