Topic: do surgical margins need to be clear?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Feb 27, 2013 09:46AM

Posted on: Feb 27, 2013 09:46AM

sockarmom wrote:

Had lumpectomy, lymph nodes neg but surgeon called and said one edge of tumor didn't have clear margin so she wants me to go back in for re excision. I'm just now starting to feel good and my husband doesn't want me to go back in. Will radiation kill the cells if there are any or is it necessary to go back in for clear margins?

Page 3 of 3 (24 results)

Feb 4, 2018 11:18AM Paisley123 wrote:

All I am reading is bad news. What percentage of re-excision come back with good margins?

Feb 4, 2018 12:59PM Lula73 wrote:

paisley-for every 1 re-excision that comes back without clear margins, there are about 10 that come back clear. However, when they come back not clear that second time, an mri is a very good idea. What’s likely happening is there is another area that mammo & ultrasound did not detect and it can’t be seen with the naked eye. MRI should pick it up and give the surgeon a better view of where they need to excise. You can also request mri after the first margin comes back not clear before going back in.

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/1/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/3/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 5, 2018 11:17AM - edited Feb 5, 2018 11:23AM by Ann27

This Post was deleted by Ann27.

Feb 5, 2018 11:22AM Ann27 wrote:

I am scheduled to have a re-incision this upcoming week, as my margins were not clear with the first lumpectomy. Concerned about not having clear margins as well. It was recommended that I don't need chemo as my oncotype score was low. But this past weekend the opposite side of breast looked a bit red and sore. The incision site looks normal on the skin. It's been 7 weeks since the last surgery. Should I be concerned that it can be an infection this late in or something else?? Has anyone else experienced this not having clear margins before second surgery?

Page 3 of 3 (24 results)

Scroll to top button