Topic: Hysteroscopy...painful? knocked out or local anesthetic?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jan 10, 2014 02:49PM

Posted on: Jan 10, 2014 02:49PM

wallycat wrote:

My ultrasound showed a polyp and 7mm lining (I am post menopause) so they want to do an endometrial biopsy. I insisted on a hysteroscopy (take the polyp and the lining not just a scraping).

Has anyone had this procedure and can you talk about it?

I have and an endometrial biopsy with a valium, ibuprofen and local anesthetic and OUCH.

Help prepare me please.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Page 2 of 2 (16 results)

Jan 15, 2014 12:38AM wallycat wrote:

Good luck with your path report.

I have not had any bleeding.  This was an accidental finding.  I am in an early ovarian cancer detection study and the ultrasound happened to scan my uterus and they noticed it so of course they can't just leave it alone now.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Feb 4, 2014 02:14PM - edited Feb 6, 2014 11:07AM by wallycat

Timbuktu, how did your path come out?

I am going in Thursday (6th) for the hysteroscopy and it will be in a clinic setting so I think that means great drugs.

I will report back.

Best to all the ladies dealing with this ongoing monitoring.

Feb 7, 2014 01:48PM wallycat wrote:

Had the procedure yesterday.  Did not realize it would be general anesthetic (assumed twilight).  No nausea, no pain...

they sent me home with a rx for hydrocodone and I haven't even bothered with an ibuprofen.  Knock wood that continues.

Now I wait for the pathology.  HATE waiting.

I must say, the communication between this new-to-me-doctor and this surgical clinic was pathetic.

They forgot to schedule me, someone dropped the ball, they were all crying and yelling at ME, never mind I am the patient and I am paying for this crappy event.

Feb 7, 2014 02:11PM brooksidevt wrote:

So great that it's over and done with!   They never offered me the nighty-night option, but in my case, they were just going after a lonely polyp.  Anyway, I'm glad you had the anesthesia and no post-procedure pain, and must feel pretty appropriately victorious.  With the otherwise-welcome weekend upon us, I guess you'll have to wait an extra couple of days (note to self:  Schedule biopsy things on Mondays).

Dx 11/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2013 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/4/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 5, 2020 03:50PM Waiting4mylocal wrote:

This isn't a reply unfortunately, just a plea to New York City sisters out there seeking an endometrial biopsy with conscious sedation here in NYC/NJ/Long Island. I've been searching high and low for a gynecologist surgeon/oncologist who provides care for postmenopausal women (hyperplasia) needing doctor who offers dilation/does sono/offers twilight/or IV/or lidocaine. Why is this so difficult to find? Mt. Sinai and Weill Cornell offers none, only D&C under general anesthesia. Skittish to go to teaching hospitals where unwanted pelvic exams are common and sadly, legal here in Northeast. Grateful for any referrals

Mar 5, 2020 05:08PM flashlight wrote:

Waiting4mylocal, I had a D&C last August they called it a light general anesthesia. They didn't intubate as they would for a longer surgery and It was done as an outpatient. My Gyn tried to do a biopsy in the office and was unable to due to a large fibroid/polyp. If you have a D&C you really should have a hysteroscopy and that would be pretty uncomfortable in the doctor's office. Most of the OB/Gyn do this procedure routinely and know what they are doing. I went to chick-fil-A on the way home and was fine. You just can't lift anything over 10 pounds for a couple of weeks.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Page 2 of 2 (16 results)

Scroll to top button