We are 224,835 members in 82 forums discussing 157,969 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: July 2019 Surgery Support Group

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Jun 21, 2019 09:12AM

happyperidot wrote:

Hello and happy first day of summer. It doesn't look like we have a July thread yet, so I might as well start one.

I'll be having BMX, bi-lat SNB, and TEs on July 8. Pre-op appts are next week, after which I'll update my signature.

Anyone else?

Kelley, dx at 55; Oncotype 18 Dx 5/10/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/7/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Page 1 of 3 (82 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (82 total)

Jun 21, 2019 11:29AM 55cellos wrote:

My bilateral mastectomy & SNB is scheduled for July 1st. Ready to do this!

Jun 21, 2019 05:56PM ik0106 wrote:

I am having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on July 11.

Dx 5/24/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/11/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 8/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 9/26/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/26/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jun 21, 2019 09:31PM eds605 wrote:

This is my first time posting, but I've been coming here for a while for information and inspiration. I'm scheduled for surgery on July 16th, for a uni mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction. I'm nervous but also looking forward to getting this behind me.

Dx 1/4/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/23/2019 AC Targeted Therapy 4/4/2019 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 4/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 7/15/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jun 24, 2019 09:45AM happyperidot wrote:

Welcome, everyone.

55cellos and ik0106 - do you know if your reconstruction (TE's or implants) will be under/behind your pectoral muscle or in front of it? Mine will be in front (pre-pect).

Also, have any of you heard about the Prevena incision management system? My PS would like me to use it for the first week of recovery, but I'm not sure it's covered by insurance. Need to check.

Kelley, dx at 55; Oncotype 18 Dx 5/10/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/7/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jun 24, 2019 10:07AM Moderators wrote:

55cellos and eds605, sorry you are here and waiting for surgery... but wanted to say welcome! You are in good company here!

Kellye, thank you for starting this July Surgery Support thread!

If it helps you get prepared, here are some interesting links for those going through surgery:

Mx: 10 Tips to Get Ready for Your Hospital Stay and Recovery

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Good luck everyone, and keep us posted!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jun 24, 2019 10:11AM 55cellos wrote:

I am not having reconstruction. I’m in my mid 50’s and want to keep the process as simple as possible.

Jun 24, 2019 11:47AM - edited Jun 24, 2019 11:47AM by nleerussell

7/10 - SMX, Sentinel Node Biopsy and Expander to be placed at that time also. Super nervous but sooo ready to get moving the waiting is the worst part! Positive thoughts and hugs to everyone here!

Dx 5/30/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/10/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement

Jun 24, 2019 11:50AM - edited Jun 24, 2019 10:09PM by Basil77

Scheduled for unilateral nipple-sparing mastectomy with direct-to-implant reconstruction on July 10th at UPMC for borderline phyllodes tumor (the tumor was excised in April for full pathology after core needle confirmation of phyllodes

41 yrs old. Diagnosed April 2019 with 8 cm Borderline Phyllodes Tumor, Right Breast. Surgery 7/10/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jun 28, 2019 12:39PM happyperidot wrote:

Best of luck to 55cellos on Monday. Please check-in with us when you feel up to it. :-)

Jun 28, 2019 06:21PM 55cellos wrote:

thank you

Jun 29, 2019 12:36AM Boobietrap wrote:

I am having bilateral mastectomy July 1 with TE’s. Random question and I know my doctors told me but I have forgotten, what is average surgery time for BMX with expanders? I know it varies per patient per procedure but trying to remember how long I will be under.

Jun 29, 2019 09:58AM ucfknights wrote:

hi girls! I'm wondering for my mom, how long did you girls wait to have surgery after chemo? My mom finishes chemo July 23rd and we have an appt with BS July 10th to discuss the MX and MRi. Curious how long The wait is between end of chemo to surgery. Thanks!

Dx 1/23/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/4/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal Dx 2/28/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/11/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 8/19/2019 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Jun 29, 2019 11:20AM CinnamonSpice wrote:

My PBMX and SNB without reconstruction (I'm 66) is scheduled for July 10th. Her first one in the morning.

Jun 29, 2019 01:00PM Boobietrap wrote:

hi!

Glad to hear she is almost done! My last infusion was May 21 and my BMX is on July 1. Primarily driven by the schedules of my surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon. I think they ideally would have liked to do it 1-2 weeks earlier bu their schedules were full. That being said I think it was the perfect time frame. It would usually take me about 3 weeks to recover from my infusions. It was really nice to have a little break between infusion recovery and surgery. My advice remember that this battle isn’t only physical but mental as well. Allow yourself to take a break if needed and recharge for the next phase

Jun 29, 2019 03:13PM - edited Sep 8, 2019 10:19AM by happyperidot

Here's a summary of our schedule:

July 1: 55cellos - bilateral mastectomy & SNB

July 1: Boobietrap - bilateral mastectomy with TE's

July 3: sku - BMX with direct to implant reconstruction

July 8: happyperidot - BMX, bi-lat SNB, and TEs

July 10: CinnamonSpice - PBMX and SNB without reconstruction (I'm 66)

July 10: Basil77 - unilateral nipple-sparing mastectomy with direct-to-implant reconstruction

July 10: nleerussell - SMX, Sentinel Node Biopsy and Expander

July 11: ik0106: bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

July 12: baffledbutterfly7 - bilateral mx with expanders put in but not filled

July 16: eds605 - uni mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction

July 16: Cymplicity - Bilateral mastectomy, SNB and TEs

July 16: Toadism left breast mastectomy with expander placement.

July 19: Dr. Mae - Left MX and Flap

July 23: Alden722 - double mastectomy with phase 1 of reconstruction

July 25: chek2inGA - double mastectomy w/ TE; exchange w/ fat grafting is scheduled for 10/10.

July 29: gkidsnana - clear the margins and skin graft

July 30: blue22

Late July: Cutie - unilateral MX with some Lymph Node sampling and lumpectomy on healthy breast

I think I got everyone, but if I missed you, please let me know so I can update the list. And, I'm sorry.

Jul 1, 2019 09:29AM nleerussell wrote:

Positive thoughts and hugs to both ladies that are having surgery today. Take care!

Dx 5/30/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/10/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement

Jul 2, 2019 02:21PM Cymplicity27 wrote:

Hello everyone!

July 16: Bilateral mastectomy, SNB and TEs

Dx 5/30/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/16/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jul 2, 2019 03:17PM nleerussell wrote:

How is everyone doing? Preparations? Nervous? Resigned? I had been operating on auto pilot since my first appointment after my diagnosis. I am just slowing down starting to really think about things. Trying to maintain a positive attitude but starting to feel more nervous/scared (never had major surgery or a major illness before).

Jul 2, 2019 03:22PM happyperidot wrote:

Welcome, Cymplicity. I've added you to the list.

I'm next up and am doing fine; just eager and impatient to get this behind me. We're having a "last hurrah" cookout at my house on Saturday. Very much looking forward to having my favorite people over while I'm still feeling great.

Jul 2, 2019 05:10PM Alden722 wrote:

I am an RN and a lot of surgeons use the preveena wound vac to help with healing. It helps protect the incision as well as pull away any fluid. The actual wound vac part that sucks continuously goes in a little "purse" so you can keep it with you. It just needs to be charged occasionally. With a lot of them once it's done the dressing is taken down and everything is thrown away.

Dx 12/31/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/29/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy

Jul 2, 2019 05:13PM Alden722 wrote:

I am having a double mastectomy with phase 1 of reconstruction on July 23. I had my first pre-op appt this week and will have another with the PS in 2 weeks. Not sure if I am nervous or not yet, just know it will be hard on my little 1 year old when Mama can't pick him up for 6ish weeks.

Dx 12/31/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/29/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy

Jul 3, 2019 08:38AM happyperidot wrote:

Hi Alden722. Thanks for the info about Prevena. I've added you to our list.

It's not much consolation, but hopefully your little one won't remember when you couldn't pick him up. Hugs to you.

Jul 3, 2019 10:24AM nleerussell wrote:

Happyperidot - This long weekend is a welcome distraction for our family as well. I can't wait to eat too much lol! I am also trying to make a few last minute purchases (button up shirts- I live in pullovers and tees apparently geez) and household preparations. Definitely ready to come out on the other side. :) Enjoy your weekend festivities!

Alden722 - I have never heard of Preveena - but it sounds amazingly helpful!

Jul 4, 2019 05:08PM - edited Jul 4, 2019 05:09PM by CinnamonSpice

Been working on distractions! Cleaning, packing, making jam and putting together a quilt top. I doubt it will get quilted by Tuesday, but I am sure going to try. It isn't very big so it won't take long after the top is completed. I would LOVE to get the binding sewn down too before Wednesday so I'll have some handwork for after surgery.

I have been doing ok anxiety wise but I know the closer it gets to Wednesday it will ramp up!

Praying for you all!

Jul 5, 2019 10:16AM Cutie wrote:

Hello,

New to this group.

II am planning to have unilateral MX with some Lymph Node sampling and lumpectomy on healthy breast in late July. My BS is on vacation and recent MRI showed something small shape in healthy breast in deep area. Wonder if it is false positive. The tumor is gone in right side after chemo. So, we thought ihe new one in left side may be benign and plan to do lumpectomy. Untrasound does detect may be small 0.7 mm. Very frustrating when I know this. MO didn't take initial MRI but PET scan before chemo. So nothing to compare this. I planned to remove left breast in next year after all treatments are done. I have to check with my BS in next appointment. After surgery, I planned to do radiation at armpit area.

Meanwhile I am also having neuopathy issues numbness and tingling on my finger tips from chemo. I had 4 AC and 4 Taxol dense doses just 3 weeks ago. Tried B6 and B12 but not help.

I am waiting for my surgery and neverous. Wishing you all quick recovery and keep us informed.

Cutie

IDC on R side with ER-/PR+

Dx 12/28/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR+, HER2+

Jul 5, 2019 02:38PM - edited Jul 5, 2019 05:37PM by Basil77

Today is my last day of work, which has felt strange - I have never been away from a job for more than a week or so for vacation.

I've got an appt first thing Monday morning with my PS, then I need to figure out how I want to spend my last couple of days before surgery. I am not feeling too anxious yet. I also don't have a feeling of impending relief -- mostly I feel sad I have to do this to be well, that we all have to do this to be well.

41 yrs old. Diagnosed April 2019 with 8 cm Borderline Phyllodes Tumor, Right Breast. Surgery 7/10/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jul 5, 2019 03:32PM happyperidot wrote:

Hi Cutie. Welcome to the group. Sorry to read about your neuopathy.

My MRI also found something suspicious in my healthy breast. Biopsy says it's a intraductal pappiloma, which usually comes out; hence my BMX.

Jul 5, 2019 06:25PM 55cellos wrote:

Bilateral mastectomy was Monday of this week. Surgery went well & I stayed 1 night in the hospital. Developed a very itchy rash on my chest/neck so went to the ER on Wednesday night and was told it was an allergic reaction to the adhesive used on the drapes during surgery &to take Benadryl (I think it worked only because it made me sleep). Saw the surgeon’s assistant today & she took off the bandages so I saw my chest for the first time. It didn’t freak me out as much as I thought it would. Very glad to have surgery behind me. Have only taken regular Tylenol since yesterday morning. Sleeping well.

Jul 6, 2019 11:24AM Cutie wrote:

55 Cellos,

Sorry to hear any inconveniences related to bandage but glad to hear that was solved and you are making progress. Let's know how things getting move on. I am counting my day.

Hugs 💗

Cutie

Dx 12/28/2018, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR+, HER2+

Jul 6, 2019 07:35PM blue22 wrote:

I am scheduled for surgery on the 30th and am quite nervous.

For those of you having a mastectomy - how much recovery time have you been told to expect?

Dx 1/2019, IBC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 2/15/2019 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Dx 7/30/2019, IDC/IBC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 7/30/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Dx 8/2019, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 10/8/2019 Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 3 (82 results)