Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2020 Surgery Group

LaVue
LaVue Member Posts: 69

Anyone else scheduled for surgery this month? My bilateral is scheduled for the 10th.

Comments

• Tiffin68
    Tiffin68 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2020

I am having my BMX on June 24th.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

Hi Tiffin68!!

I bought a recliner since I read it's the best way to sleep during this time. (Still have to set it up) I also bought a mastectomy pillow which I have been using since my left breast still hurts from the biopsy in February! (The DCIS is in my left breast and my right breast is cancer-free but high risk) I also bought an indoor trampoline to keep LE at bay. It's quite fun to excerise on it as well. So it's a win. Other than those items, I haven't bought anything.

My bilateral will be outpatient (23 hour stay) because the hospitals in my area haven't quite opened up yet. The outpatient facility is within the hospital so it's not that bad. I've chosen TEs/implants.

The blood test is tomorrow, Covid test and medical clearance on Monday, chest X-ray on Tuesday, and then surgery on Wednesday.

Since I live alone, my parents are flying in to help.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

Hi LaVue,

I hope your chair is easy to put together! We have recliner sofas upstairs so I can go up there in the beginning. I just ordered a wedge and full body pillow so I have a few weeks to try them out. There are lots of good items listed in another post. I bought some Velcro shirts that I saw online. I also ordered the waist belt from my drains and a shower pouch as well. I think that's a good start. One thing I definitely want to get is silky pajamas. They will make it easier to get out of bed. I have started making a list of items I may need.

Our hospitals have started surgeries again. I will stay one night only. I have my surgeon pre-op appointment next week. You will have a busy few days with all those test.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

I gone back and forth on whether to buy the shower pouch. Is it safe to take a shower with it? Nothing will happen to the drains?

(I also hope the recliner is easy to put together hahahahaha)

• HH25
    HH25 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020

Hi, Ladies!

I had my surgery two weeks ago and my life savers have been my wedge pillow, waist belt for the drains, a mastectomy zip front camisole, button up jammies, and one of those grabber things (that you pick up pine cones in your yard with). The things that were surprisingly difficult (and painful) were washing my hands and pushing down on the soap dispenser.......random, I know.

Hope everything goes well!

Heather

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

I reviewed the shower pouch myself. It looks to be safe. My surgeon will all me to shower every other day with my drains.

You will conquer that recliner!!!

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

Hi Heather!

Hope you're recovery is going well! I just ordered a wedge pillow. I'm working on ordering some front closing tops. I did get two Velcro tops and the waist belt. Thank you for the other items you recommended. I will add them to my list.

Sorry to hear that washing your hands and pushing down the soap dispenser are difficult and painful! Definitely something to remember!!

• morrigan2575
    morrigan2575 Member Posts: 798
    edited June 2020

My BMX is scheduled for 6/19, we're doing it as an outpatient. Should be 3.5 hours for both the Mastectomy and the Tissue Expanders.

I have 2 mastectomy shirts with drain pockets, a drain bag for showering, 2 zip up sports bras, a wedge pillow and 2 mastectomy pillows. I also have a bunch of button down and zip-up hoodies that I can use in between shirts.

My friend had hers 7 years ago, she said used a safety pin and attahced the drains to a lanyard when she took a shower so I think the bag will be fine.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

Hello Morrigan_25!

Sounds like you have everything you will need. I have read about the safety pins and lanyard. I will definitely have to try that after my surgery on the 24th. The wait is so nerve racking. I had a really rough time with chemo so I'm ready to get the second phase started!

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2020

I’m two weeks post-op, BMX without recon. Here’s another idea that might help. I originally safety pinned the drains to my shirt but found it to be a hassle, and I kept catching the lines on door handles. Didn’t want my child looking at them either, so I borrowed a restaurant server’s apron (the kind with pockets) from a friend. Laid the apron on my lap with the pockets facing up, and stuck the drains inside the pockets, then picked it up and tied it around my waist (so the drains were now on the inside). Then I could pull my shirt over the top and it was more or less hidden. I hated the thing by the time I got rid of it, but it worked.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

Welcome Heather & KMom!

So glad you joined us!

--

I ordered the pouch today. Sounds like it will come in handy.

--

Heather,

Delicate question: one of the things I'm most anxious about is wiping after I go to the bathroom. Is that a struggle?

• LMP100
    LMP100 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2020

I'm having a BMX with tissue expanders on June 16. Anyone else have small children?

• HH25
    HH25 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020

LaVue

I was actually worried about that too. It actually was fine but even though I had a bilateral, I could only use my non-dominant side to do that so that was a learning experience!

LMP100,

I had the same procedure you’re having and I have twin 4 year olds. They’ve been great but have no problem telling strangers that Mommy has “owie boobs” 🤣

• LMP100
    edited June 2020

HH25

I have a 9 year old daughter and my son is almost 3. He loves to cuddle, so I'm worried how he will take my surgery.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

Hi LMP100! The plastic surgeon is going to put 100cc the day of the surgery and we'll take it just as slow after that. I have a scheduled appointment with him the 16th (follow up, not to fill the expanders). He said since my breasts droop (hahahaha) he can take advantage of that and leave a scar that looks like a T (with the top of the T where my nipples used to be) instead of a scar across the chest. All things considered, I'm less worried about the scarring and more worried about whether I need radiation/chemo.

I have an appointment with my oncologist on the 19th. At that time, I'll find out if my cancer is staged (right now I'm stage 0) and if I need further treatment.

--

That's a relief to hear, Heather! I know it's a silly thing to think about but it consumed my thoughts!

--

I set up the recliner. It was easy peasy. Took no time at all.

• HeidiE04
    HeidiE04 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2020

I'm going for double mastectomy, no reconstruction on Monday! I thought my surgery would still be a few weeks out, but I went for a second opinion on Thursday. And they said they could do it on Monday! I wasn't expecting it and I'm really nervous! If anyone has any last minute tips or advice or words of wisdom, lay it on me. And best wishes and lots of love to everyone else about to have surgery.

• iamloved
    iamloved Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2020

HeidiE04 Best of luck to you. I have no wisdom for you but will say a prayer for a complete and successful recovery. I head to my consultations this upcoming week and hope they can get me in for surgery ASAP. I too am choosing no reconstruction. Keep us posted how you are doing. 🙏

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020

Good Luck Heidi!

Only advice I can give (from previous experience) drains are a PITA. Don't let them get you down.

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

Heidi, that is fast! Hoping the best for you!

• HeidiE04
    edited June 2020

Thanks so much, Iamloved, Morrigan and LaVue!!! I'll keep you posted. And yes, heard the same about those drains.... 😳

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

How are you doing, Heidi? I'm so so. I was diagnosed in Feb. Had a good cry for about two weeks and haven't really cried since. Now that the day is approaching I tear up now and again. Sometimes my knees buckle and my stomach feels hallow from the anxiety.

• emily12
    emily12 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2020

I am scheduled for 11th for BM

• HeidiE04
    edited June 2020

laVue, to be honest, I'm terrified! I can't believe tomorrow at this time I won't have boobs anymore!! And just praying that the sentinel lymph node is clear!Keep breaking down crying and it doesn't help I had to put my little best friend doggy to sleep yesterday. I'm a wreck! Thanks so much for asking. All my best to you,this week, too!!!💚

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

Hugs, Heidi! So sorry to hear about your dog! That just adds to the stress.

I'm with you on the sentinel lymph node. Dirty lymph nodes scares me more than anything else!

Were you able to get everything you need for post-surgery? Everything happened so fast for you.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well.

--

Welcome Emily,

How are you doing? Your date is approaching fast as well. I'll be (hopefully) coming home from the hospital when you are entering.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020

Anyone else doing surgery post Chemo? I'll be 4 weeks post Chemo when I have my surgery.

Conversely if you're doing surgery first and end up needing chemo, let me know if you have any questions. I did 6 cycles of TCHP

• LaVue
    edited June 2020

I won't know if I need chemo until we receive the pathology after the surgery. My breast surgeon seems to think my chances are very low that I need it. But I'm not sure how she came to that conclusion. I have a pre-surgery appointment with her tomorrow. I'll get more clarification then.

• LMP100
    edited June 2020

Morrigan_2575, I did TCHP before also.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

Hello Everyone!

Heid i- I hope everything went well with your surgery. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery!

LaVue - so glad you were able to put your recliner together with no difficulties.

I had my chemo first for a total of 16 rounds. I did four- AC and 12 - taxol. I had a really rough time with the AC chemo. I was hospitalized three out of the four. If you would like to know more, please ask. The taxol is much easier!! Worse part for me was my taste buds throughout the entire process and my fingernails. They hurt and are quite brittle. I also have chemo nail.

So ready for my surgery date to get here! I think I'm the last one to have bmx surgery which is the 24th. I have my pre-op on Wednesday.

• morrigan2575
    edited June 2020

Good luck today Heidi!

Tiffin and LMP - how are you feeling post Chemo? I've been pretty worn down, my WBC and Platelets are fine but, my hemoglobin is low so I don't have much energy.

I'm a little worried about compounding the fatigue with surgery. At the same time I'm so ready to get this over with. Its the last major step, after this it's finishing HP (hopefully) or going to Kadclya for 14 cycles but, once the BMX is over that should be the end of the "worst" stuff.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020

I'm still pretty tired. Some days are better than others. I'm back working luckily remotely so I can take a nap if I need to. My heart rate since my last few chemos so I had to see a cardiology. Just finished the last bit of testing. The cardiologist thinks it could be from the chemo or the two pulmonary embolisms I had in February. The worse part has been not being able to exercise and the leg/foot/ankle swelling. Cancer stinks!!!!

I agree with you! I'm just ready to get surgery over so I can start the next phase (radiation).