I had a lumpectomy 7 days ago as I didn't want to wait for my dna result back (I was also hoping since my mom is the only person who had BC, I might not carry the gene). Although I did learn know today that the result was out 6 days before my surgery. I am brca-2 positive.But I am also glad that at least I don't have a grade3 cancer in my body.
Anyways, now I am thinking of getting dmx and ovary removal. But should I just wait until all my treatments are done? I was told chemo soon after surgery is most effective so I don't really want to add another major surgery before chemo starts.
Of course I will also discuss with my surgeon but I'd like to see if anyone out there had similar experience and the pros and cons you had.
I am 43 yr old. My sons are 4.5 and 6. My husband supports me in anyway although he'd prefer less invasive approach, so am I but I don't want to risk recurrence because of the brca-2 gene. My report said the 2nd breast cancer is 50% and ovarian cancer is 16%. I didn't know each person's stats might be different.
The mri I had did find something suspicious on my other breast but u/s didn't see anything, they wanted me to go back in 6mo for follow up.
1. my MO agreed to order an oncotype test for me.
2. I still need radiation even if I do mastectomy Because of positive nodes which I am fine with.
3. My 2nd opinion is scheduled on 9/11. My appointment with my MO is on 9/3 but I met him before and he gave me a plan which I don't think will change much. The plan was 4 times of something every two weeks then 12 week of something else every week after. Then 20 rads after. My RO said he will do breadth holding technique and avoid the damage to heart. And it’s going to to whole breast. All these plan was before my surgery so I will have follow up appointment again to finalize.
4. I do want reconstruction, I was thinking of getting DIEP, but now that I am having so many surgeries I might just get an implant. Any recommendations on saline or silicone?
5. Timing of surgery schedule will up to Kaiser if delaying chemo would reduce the effectiveness of the surgery, then I'd wait on the mastectomies. I am waiting for my MO to reply to my questions on timing.
I really was interested to know if anyone was in the similar boat as me. I know some people had lumpectomy the no clear margin then go in again for another lumpectomy or maybe a 3rd time for mastectomy. I am just wondering how they did it with the chemo and rads.
Brca-2+; Dx 7/15/2020 at age 43. er+80% pr+40% Her2-, IDC 1.7cm grade 3, DCIS 0.6cm grade3 , 2/15 nodes (0.6cm) started ac+t on 9/17/2020
Log in to post a reply