Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

November 2020 Surgery Group

ealga
ealga Member Posts: 24

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone else has surgery booked for November? My BMX is November 7. Anxiety is building :-(

Comments

• JanetM
    JanetM Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2020

I am waiting for a date, hopefully it will be in November for BMX with immediate reconstruction. I understand your anxiety

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Hi Janet! I hope you get your date soon. It's a start, anyway! kat

• Onealdr3
    Onealdr3 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2020

Hi everyone,

Just scheduled for Nov 20th BMX with reconstruction. Finished chemo on Oct 5th but its strange that somehow I feel like this is all more real now. elaga, I thought that getting a date would relieve some of my anxiety but I feel more anxious now. Janet I hope you get a date soon.

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Onealdr3 I hear you. I wake up in the middle of the night and that's when it is the worst. I'm trying to distract myself with work and bike rides and my kids. But the nights are hard.

• JanetM
    edited October 2020

Had an MRI biopsy of the right breast today so that we know exactly what is going on prior to surgery. Plastic surgeon on Monday.

• Lilir
    Lilir Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2020

Hi everyone. I started the October group because I thought for sure my surgery would happen in October.

scheduled for Nov 6th. Bilateral Mastecromy with reconstruction.

Ealga, u are having surgery on a Saturday?

I am having to work until next Tuesday. I am the primary income in my household, and my employer is less than sympathetic. The stress sometimes sends me over the edge. I have has to take Xanax twice.

However, the oncologist office I met with for tumor boards has a therapist I can see. We are working on meditation techniques. I have to say it helps me get through. I am using the calm app. I also hear headspace is really good.

Earlier today I was not doing so well, so I went outside and listened to a meditation session. Also, went for walk. Feel better now. Not 100% relaxed. But better.

Lastly, melatonin and sleepy time tea have become my friends. I take melatonin 5 mg every night before bed. On days like today, I will also drink the tea.

Good luck to everyone!! I will post in both chats

• Lilir
    edited October 2020

I opted for over the muscle reconstruction because the last thing I wanted was for someone to mess with my muscle after going through all this...

read up on what they will offer u before u commit.

Also, see more than one plastics surgeon

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Hi Lilir -

I too have started melatonin and it helps me get some quality sleep, which is key. Me on not enough sleep = mess. I am having it on a Saturday, my surgeon called to ask if that would be ok because it was the only day she and the PS could work it out. She said the good news about a Saturday is she'll have all the time she needs to focus

My anxiety stems from having gone through this 7 years ago, thinking it was solved, and it coming back worse. I feel like I'm getting a second chance but I might not get a third. I'm so afraid of making the wrong choice thoughout this process.

I am currently scheduled for tissue expanders and small implants, with a latissimus graft to reinforce the skin where i had radiation. But it is hard to focus on reconstruction as i am so worried about getting the cancer out. I seriously considered going flat but i just don't know if i can do it at 52.

What do you mean by muscle reconstruction? That was not mentioned to me, at least I don't remember if it was!

• Onealdr3
    Onealdr3 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2020

Hi Lilir,

I am so sorry to hear that about your employer. I have been blessed in that respect. I don't think they could be better to me. I am currently working from home and am here all day alone while my husband is at work so I have time to worry more than I would if I were in a work environment. I will definitely check out the calm app. Thanks for the tip.

• Lilir
    edited October 2020

It is simply where the implant goes. Over the muscle or under the muscle..

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Lilir,

Ah i see, i didn't read your post properly! Yeah i will prob opt for over the muscle too. You are one day before me - we can compare notes. Sorry to hear about your employer. That is so inhumane - that is the last thing you need.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited October 2020

I’m scheduled for November 19 for mastectomy and reconstruction. Just glad chemo is done for now.

• dizzywombat
    dizzywombat Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020

Hi all - I'm scheduled for Nov 30, SMX and DIEP reconstruction. I'm currently flat on one side from my SMX/dissection back in April. I think I change my mind 20 times a day between having DIEP and going flat. I know it'll be a tough surgery and it's stressing me out!

• ealga
    edited October 2020

dizzywombat i was up half the night last night second guessing my decision to do tissue expanders and implants. I have never been so torn in my life. I think going flat will be so much easier but i worry about spending the rest of my life seeing nothing there. I know plenty of women do and thrive, but i'm not sure i'm as mentally strong as they are.

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Hi NsBrown54 - glad to hear you're moving forward! What a journey this is.

• Slmurray
    Slmurray Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2020

Having surgery November 4th. Lumpectomy and sentinel nodes. Can’t sleep, can teach up until the surgery but just can’t stop the worrying and what if’s....will try to stay busy

• ealga
    edited October 2020

Hi Slmurray - i'm three days behind you and can completely identify with everything you're feeling. Sending a hug to you.

• JanetM
    edited October 2020

Appointment with plastic surgeon today to find out if I am a candidate for DIEP and to set a date for surgery hopefully.

• JanetM
    edited October 2020

update, surgery scheduled for 3rd week in November. Nowthecountdown begins

• leerose
    leerose Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020

Hi, All,

I am having surgery in November, but waiting on a specific date. Diagnosed with multi-focal IDC in right breast, largest tumor is approximately 2 cm, total span of tumors is just over 4 cm, grade 2 for the largest. After much research, hand wringing, and general consternation, I've decided on a lumpectomy with oncoplasty in both breasts. Both surgeries will be done together. I'm hoping that I'm making the right decision. I've gotten nervous reading posts about radiation, since I already know I will need several weeks of that following surgery. Don't know yet about chemo; depends on subsequent news once the tumors are removed.

Wishing everyone here the best of luck on their surgeries and speedy recoveries.

• Lilir
    edited October 2020

T-minus 6 days until my surgery. BMX with reconstruction..... Eager to get treatment underway, but basically freaking out.

Trying to meditate and keep my mind busy. But, waking up at 2AM every night with some horrible thought.

Hope everyone is well. Will post here after surgery, so I may help someone know what to expect....

• Lilir
    edited October 2020

All these decisions are terrible.... dizzywombat....

I think for all of us it is a matter of making a choice and committing to it. I am having implants and thought about flat as well.. I chose implants because I am trying to lessen my pshychological impact from all this. Plus, I have a 10 year old girl, and me not having boobs was one of her biggest fears.

I stand committed to my decision and willing to take the good with the bad.

Good luck to you...

• LoveCervelo
    LoveCervelo Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020

Hi. I just had my lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node dissection on October 29th. I am doing well however this is my second breast cancer following mastectomy, reconstruction, chemotherapy and Tamoxifen 19 1/2 years ago. Despite the results of the pathology and the plan to keep this breast I am contemplating a second mastectomy and possible reconstruction.

• Taralynn
    Taralynn Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2020

Hi ladies, I hope to be scheduled for November also! I’m thinking right before Thanksgiving. I met with the plastic surgeon Thursday and had an MRI Friday. Really hoping that doesn’t show anything vastly different than what the Mammos and ultrasounds did! Or maybe it will be different in my favor, fingers crossed.

we discussed BMX with immediate reconstruction. He said he thinks there’s just enough tissue in my belly (guess never working out after my last baby 3 years ago worked in my favor lol!) to give me the size I’d like with a DIEP. But whichever I choose as the end result, he’s still doing the expanders the day of the BMX. Then I’ll have a few months to decide on implants or DIEP. Glad I have some time ....

• ealga
    edited November 2020

Glad to meet all of you - and I wish you all the best this month. My BMX surgery is Saturday the 7th and Friday I have to go in to have blue dye injected so she can find the lymph nodes. I'm nervous about this one! Go figure.

• dizzywombat
    dizzywombat Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2020

Lilir - I'm not a candidate for implants due to radiation, so at least that's one less option for me to stress about. I have a pre-op with my PS tomorrow to get all my questions answered, so we'll see how I feel after that. I usually feel better after talking to her.

I had a mammogram on my non-cancer side on Friday and it came back clear, so I'm really hoping they won't take lymph nodes on that side. I'm starting to develop lymphedema on the other unfortunately.

Good luck to everyone who has their surgeries this week!

• suzopedia
    suzopedia Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2020

Hi, I will have UMX (right side) on November 10. I had 2 lumpectomies before this. The 2nd showed additional unexpected cancer so I decided I didn't want to endure scanning every 6 months. Let's just get rid of it. I'm nervous, sure. But I go back to the moment where I heard about the additional cancer and how upset I was. It's been a long time since I cried that hard - probably since my first dx (left side)15 years ago. I was crying so hard I was sick. I know this will be hard, but then it will be over. The plastic surgeon will try immediate implant. We'll see.

Ealga and others that have to get the snb injection. I'm nervous about that also.

LoveCervelo I didn't HAVE to do the MX either but after the surprise where they found additional cancer, I chose it. Peace of mind.

Good Luck everyone!!!

• hrv17
    hrv17 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2020

mine is November 23rd. I just want this over but am also scared to get the ball rolling.

• hrv17
    hrv17 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2020

How are you doing today? Knowing you beat this once is awesome! You can do it again!!

• ILOVERMONT
    ILOVERMONT Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2020

I am a week out of BMX went straight to flat as I was facing 5-6 more surgeries to make them look even due to radiation on right side. I am BRCA2+ so this was my decision.I wasn't nervous since I had total confidence in my surgeons. I also had a total hysterectomy at the same time. Doing well, hardly any pain. Had 2 drains and they came out today, thankfully. I spoke to so many women who had problems with their implants. Going flat was the healthiest choice for me at this point in my life (I'm 60) but if I were younger and single I probably would have gone the reconstruction route and who knows how that would have gone. I support all of you in your decisions for yourself. Best of luck!