Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

December 2020 Surgery Group

hopeful23
hopeful23 Member Posts: 22

I am scheduled for surgery on December 21. I'm hoping other December surgeries will post here so we can gain from each other's experiences with planning and recuperating. I know this holiday was going to be different anyway, but having surgery during the holidays and with a surge of COVID cases is making me somewhat more anxious..

I am having a unilateral mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy and tissue expander placement. I'm still debating what I will do going forward, implant or DIEP flap. The PS said I have time to decide. I am determined to heal quickly and help my daughter with her first child due the end of January. We are so excited for her (it's a girl!)arrival!

dee124 - lumpectomy, awaiting final pathology

12/3 morningstar - BMX

12/9 KE1986 - BMX w/ tissue expanders

12/9 typhoon - BMX direct-to-implant

12/10 Blue1002 - BMX w/ tissue expanders

12/15 Taralynn - BMX w/ tissue expanders

12/18 KMouse - BMX

12/18 Bennette - lumpectomy

12/18 mtspacekace - BMX w/ tissue expanders

12/18 rmh2744 - BM

12/21 Melbo - lumpectomy and reconstruction

12/21 hopeful23 - UMX w/ tissue expander

12/23 AnnC2019 - TE exchange w/ silicone implants

12/24 Umma777 - BMX w/ tissue expander

12/30 ToadNae - lumpectomy

12/30 Twinkle-09 - lumpectomy

12/31 PositivelyHalffull - lumpectomy

1/8 AB45 - lumpectomy

Comments

• Jennsills
    Jennsills Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

I am right there with you! I actually had a double mastectomy after my 1st cancer and added implants. Loved them and they looked wonderful. However in 2019, I had Radiation Therapy on my right breast so now the skin is really thin so a flap is recommended! Along with the DIEP flap, I was wondering if anyone had experiences with the Thigh Flap or Lattisimus Dorsi Flap as well and what the pros and cons are? How was the experience and do you like how your reconstructed breasts turn out?!!

• Taralynn
    Taralynn Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2020

hello! I’m scheduled for a BMX with sentinel node biopsy this Tuesday 12/15. I’m so ready to get this over with as it feels like I’ve been waiting forever. I’m tired of looking at my breast being nervous with every little change I see (or think I see!) I had my covid test today and will go for my SNB injection Monday. My follow up is scheduled for 12/23 where I’ll get all my pathology results,so it will either be a great Christmas present or the opposite :(

I am also getting the tissue expanders Tuesday and have the option to do implants or DIEP down the line. The PS says I have time to decide as well and I’m still torn.

• KMouse
    KMouse Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2020

My bilateral mastectomy is Friday, Dec 18th. I'm going crazy right now - nothing on going home same day mastectomy (which is what my surgeon is going to try and do to limit COVID exposure). Getting ready for surgery posts all cover overnight stays in hospital. All I can think of is what I won't be able to do next week. Partner is trying for levity & making "jokes", not helping AT ALL. Cried 3x today. Can't wait to go back to work for two days to distract me. . .

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2020

Dear KMouse,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for what brings you here but glad that you reached out for support from our members. We hear how difficult all of this is, expecially during these times of COVID. If you use our search function and type in"outpatient mastectomy" (be sure to use the quotes) you will find other posts of members who had outpatient mastectomies. You may be able to reach out to them if they are still active here via private message. Let us know if you need help.Keep us posted on how things go for you.

The Mods

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

Jennsills, I have read many people very happy with the DIEP flap. I am going to consider it down the road. I don’t know anything about the other types of flaps. Is your surgery scheduled or are you considering options?

Taralynn, I’m still torn between implant and DIEP flap and will do a tissue expander first. I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and wish you a speedy recovery! Please check in when you can would love to hear from you.

Kmouse, I was told one night in the hospital. Will they decide on an overnight for you depending on how you feel after surgery? I understand the tears. It’s a difficult time, but we will get through it. One step at a time

• dee2164
    dee2164 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

I had a lumpectomy with a sentinel lymph node procedure. Surgery went great and I'm waiting on test results that they will hopefully have on Tuesday when I go back for my next appointment.

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

dee, so glad surgery went well. Will be thinking of you on Tuesday

• ToadNae
    ToadNae Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2020

Hello! I'm sneaking in at the very end to join the December group. I'm having a lumpectomy on Dec. 30, assuming the follow-up biopsy on the other area of suspicious calcification comes back good. DCIS, Grade 3 (solid pattern with central necrosis), tumor size estimated at under 1 cm after the MRI.

I'm at 3 pages of questions for my surgeon, but work is so insanely busy right now, it is hard to find enough time to call the nurse navigator. This is our busy season, and I'm the lead for my application.

I feel like I'm reasonably prepared for surgery. I've had outpatient surgery before on my wrist, so I'm hoping this is very similar. I bought a package of really good sports bras. Am I missing anything?

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited December 2020

I am having a lumpectomy in a few weeks, nervous! Any input or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

toadnae, you sound very prepared. I hope you have the time with your busy work schedule to ask the surgeon your questions, and you have the time to rest and recuperate for a bit after your surgery. My lumpectomy was a fairly easy recovery. I think it helped that I was able to rest after the surgery for several days. The incision (near nipple to bottom of breast) is barely noticeable. Although I remember not being able to shower for a day or so, I wish I had wiped my skin of the antiseptic (I don't recall being able to see it) they used from neck to under breast. I developed a rash which was itchy. Fortunately the rash wasn't on my breast - they must have rinsed it off there. The sports bras will be very helpful! Best wishes on your follow-up biopsy and surgery! Please let us know how you are doing.

AB45, I understand the nervousness - I certainly was, too! I hope you will have some time to rest and heal after your surgery. That was very helpful to me. I am having surgery on the 21st. I'm finding keeping busy is keeping my mind off of it somewhat. I've been going through some boxes of photos, clearing some junk draws, etc. Not the stuff I normally like to do, but it's almost like therapy right now. Crazy. I know you will do great and I wish you a speedy recovery! Please let us know if you have questions, and how you are doing.

• Bennette
    Bennette Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2020

Hi, I'm joining here too. I have a lumpectomy scheduled for Friday 12/18, with sentinel node biopsy as well. Left breast. I've been doing okay but today I am sad, nervous and freaking out a bit. It doesn't help that Covid is so prevalent and I likely will not be able to have my husband nearby. I'm glad it is scheduled for outpatient and hope all goes well so I don't have to stay. thanks for starting this. I am dreading the thought of radiation and medication following this. I have worked hard to get OFF as much medication as I can, had a bad depression several years ago and was on all sorts of stuff. I also quit drinking two years ago but though I don't like to joke about it, I really wanted a drink when I got the call on NOvember 13.

• ab45
    edited December 2020

I can relate! My surgery is scheduled for January 8, 2021. If feels like the date is so far away, but yes I am nervous about it approaching, we are having the same surgery. Once you begin to heal, please let me know how it went! I also will be starting radiation and hormone therapy after surgery, depending on lymph nodes biopsy results may have chemo

Best of Luck!!

• ab45
    edited December 2020

Thank you so much for the reply! I will keep you posted

• ab45
    edited December 2020

Were you told not to sleep on your side after surgery? Just wondering post surgery pain and sleep

• morningstardust
    morningstardust Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2020

Hi @Kmouse,

I created an account just to reply to you! I had the outpatient double mastectomy + reconstruction on December 3 also because the surgeons wanted to minimize potential exposure to Covid. It was absolutely fine and considering that the hospital was on lock down and I had to be there completely alone, trust me you'll be much happier to go home. The first three days after, I felt a lot of anxiety and restlessness but everything was fine and normal (I think that might have been because they gave me dexamethasone which also wrecked me during chemo).

I had to arrive at 8am and I went home around 8pm so you're there pretty much all day. After the surgery you're on enough pain medication and still loopy from the anesthesia that you are capable of walking around etc and then they just wheeled me out to my partner when it was time to go. Curbside delivery lol

I was very afraid and told the nurse that and the anesthesiologist just hung out with me for like 30 minutes before the surgery just talking about random stuff. Then my surgeons came in (they had a surgeon for each side plus the plastic surgeon) and it was like a party we all just talked and laughed. Wonderful people.

The only weird/uncomfortable thing that happened to me was I could not stop crying when they woke me up. I was triggered because they did an axillary dissection and took out 10 lymph nodes and I wasn't expecting that would happen (I was told it was a possibility just didn't think it would happen). It was all fine nothing had spread it was just a caution but the anesthesia made me super emotional.

My procedure was nipple/skin sparing and honestly I look pretty much the same just a bit flatter and like someone beat me up. That's all. A helpful Instagram account if anyone wants to see some real mastectomy photos that are empowering is @mastectomyandsexy it's particularly great if you're on the young end like me (I'm 35).

If anyone still needs shopping recs, the bra I woke up in was from Masthead Pink and it is way better than the bras I purchased ahead of time. It has loops attached that hold your drains up so there's less tension on the surgical sites. Cocoon Styles on Etsy has great velcro shirts that are the easiest to get on an off and they're soft jersey. The Renova Recovery shirt on Amazon is also really good. I also recommend a wedge pillow and a tiny pillow to put under your arm if you have lymph involvement like me (they gave me the tiny pillow at the hospital). Last, my surgeon said no showers while I have drains in and they're having me keep the drains for three weeks, I still have one more week ugh. I got Scrubzz Disposable Bathing Wipes on Amazon to stay clean in the meantime.

For anyone that is worried about pain, don't worry too much. I did not get any "good" pain medications, it's mostly been managed with Tylenol and Gabapentin. The only pain I've had is in my armpit from the axillary dissection, the breasts don't hurt at all. Same with numbness, it's not your entire chest cavity that is numb after, it is just the center of the breast - you can still feel all around and in between. I have some numbness in my arm and armpit as well but I think that's temporary. The pain for that got worse in the first week and then an assistant at the doctor's office showed me the pendulum arm exercise and now I've been improving ever since and think I'll be totally pain free within another week.

I say all of this as a person with generalized anxiety disorder. Cancer was definitely not my love language lol

YOU WILL BE FINE. I promise.

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2020

Kmouse, we are surgery sisters! I will be having surgery on Friday 12/18 as well. Skin sparing double mastectomy, with tissue expanders. I’m nervous. I’ve never had any major surgeries...wisdom teeth and my port don’t count! I will be staying overnight in the hospital, which is probably scaring me more than surgery. I think my husband can be with me before and after surgery, but probably not overnight. I hope the pain is not bad...and when I get out, we have a 2 hour drive to get home.

I’ve been keeping myself as busy as possible, organizing closets and cleaning the house...probably procrastinating packing for surgery. I guess I’m not planning on taking much, comfy sweats and a zip up hoodie, and toothbrush, and grippy socks so I don’t have to wear the hospitals (another thing that weirds me out). I have a small pillow the hospital gave me, for the ride home, and a big wedge pillow, and body pillow for when I get home.

I guess I’m ready to do this...

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2020

morningstardust - We just wanted to let you know that we're here for you and we're so glad that you decided to join the community to share your story, experiences and tips here with everybody. Thank you! We would love to hear more from you. Stay connected!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

• Leesonet
    Leesonet Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

hello,

I read your post and i wanted to reply to hopefully bring you comfort. I had a lumpectomy on 12/10/20 I was so nervous but it went so smoothly and pretty quick. I was groggy and tired from anesthesia but the pain was maybe 3 out of 10. I only took Tylenol 500mg and ice ice ice!!! I was able to move my arm around the next day slowly for range of motion. I hope this helps, you will do great!

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

I’ve added a list in the first post of upcoming surgeries/dates. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery!

dee, hope your appointment went well on Tuesday. Thinking of you.

Bennette, I can certainly relate to being anxious and sad. We will get through this. I had radiation five years ago after lumpectomy, and am still currently on arimidex. Would be happy to answer any questions I can for you.

AB45, I don’t recall being told not to sleep in any particular position after lumpectomy. Supportive sport bra will likely help with comfort during the day and night.

Morningstardust, thank you for sharing your journey and for the recommendations for bras, pillows, wipes, etc for recovery. So glad to know your recovery is going well. Please keep usposted. There are a few of us on this thread having mastectomy soon and your advice and progress is very helpful.

mtspacekace, my house is cleaner now than most anytime ever. I think it’s nervous energy, but it does help to stay busy. I was advised to bring practically nothing, to wear home what I wear there, maybe bring some shorts to wear under the johnnie, toothbrush, cell phone and charger - and I think that’s about it. But I’m not a light packer and I keep adding stuff. Oops.

Taralynn, I hope you are home and as comfy as possible while on your way to a quick recovery. Please let us know how you are when you get a chance.

• ab45
    edited December 2020

Thank you so much, this brings me some comfort

• typhoon
    typhoon Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2020

Hi ladies - I was diagnosed with IDC/DCIS in the left breast, DCIS in the right breast, back in late October. On Dec. 9, I had a bilateral mastectomy, skin & nipple sparing, with immediate reconstruction (direct to implant, pre-pectoral) and sentinel node biopsies on both sides. My plastic surgeon used the Prevena Restor Bella Form system to dress the surgical site. I was able to go home about 2 hours after surgery was completed.

I slept in a recliner for the first several nights at home; after that, I was able to arrange the pillows on my bed to get enough elevation to sleep soundly. I took gabapentin and extra-strength Tylenol for the first 3 days, but didn't really need anything after that. To be honest, I never had to deal with any actual pain - just discomfort. I never lost any range of movement in my arms, though obviously I'm not lifting anything heavy, and the drains do circumscribe my movement a little bit. Going for direct to implant made it easier than those of you who are doing flap reconstruction, as I only had one surgical site to deal with, and was able to be walking around and getting that light exercise immediately. I didn't have any appetite at all during my first 2 days post-surgery, but it came roaring back on the third day!

Fast forward to 8 days post surgery: got the pathology results today, and both the margins and all the lymph nodes (they took out 4 lymph nodes) were clear of cancer cells. The dressings were removed two days ago (day 6 after surgery) and I'm down to two drains, which will come out next week. I have to say that my surgeons did an amazing job - other than the two red lines from the incisions, and a bit of bruising, things look pretty much like they did before surgery (perhaps a bit perkier, but nothing outrageous). The swelling is mostly gone, and it looks like I did end up going down one cup size (from a 32 C to a 32 B).

I meet with the oncologist in early January, to talk about next steps. I won't need radiation, chemo is unlikely, but I will likely have to take Tamoxifen or some other AI going forward.

I wish you all successful surgeries and easy recoveries, and the happiest of holiday seasons!

• positivelyhalffull
    positivelyhalffull Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2020

Just joining this group. It sounds like several of you have your surgeries today. I hope they go well! I will have a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on December 31st. I was surprised to learn that my husband will have to wait in the truck due to covid restrictions. On the 30th, they will place a radioactive seed to locate the area for my lumpectomy. Will I need a driver after that? It's a 1 1/2 hour drive, but doesn't sound like it's much of a procedure.

• ab45
    edited December 2020

@Bennette just wanted 2 drop a virtual hug, hope surgery went well, I am having the same surgery very soon!!

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

I had my COVID testing today that my hospital requires presurgery. I have to say I’m getting more anxious about surgery on Monday. I’m trying not to think too much about it 🥴

morningstardust - I bought a shirt from cocoon styles on Etsy that you told us about. Lots of great reviews and looks like a shirt I will enjoy wearing. Thank you!

KMouse, Bennette, and mtspacekace - hoping your surgeries went well today and you are recuperating comfortably. Thinking of you!

Typhoon, thank you for sharing your journey. I hope you know how helpful it is. So happy for your pathology results! Please continue to check in.

Positivelyhalfful, welcome! My husband is apparently allowed in the hospital for check in, but cannot come back to the preop area. They said he would be able to visit once I am in a room, but I’m not so sure. I was told he could come to my new patient appt a few weeks ago and then they realized we were from out of state and he was not able to. I don’t know what is involved in placing a radioactive seed. If it is similar to a biopsy procedure, then I think you could drive afterwards. Hopefully you can find out more to help you decide.

• Umma777
    Umma777 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

Hello!! I guess I'd better jump in here before time gets away from me. I was diagnosed in August 2020 and have been on an AI since then. I guess the "goal" was to reduce my tumor size to make lumpectomy an option, however I am still planning on going forward with my plan which is BMX with reconstruction. Unfortunately, appts were delayed due to Covid quarantine, so now my surgery is scheduled for 12/24. Who does that? Only me!!! The next surgical date available was late January and I already feel as tho I have waited way too long. I wanted to say sayonara to the girls back in August!!! Anyhow, here I am, less than a week out prior to surgery. I am very blessed to have an extremely extensive and supportive network of family and friends. I am extremely anxious but not really scared. It does bother me greatly-maybe the most-that due to Covid, I won't be able to have my husband with me pre or post op. I'm supposed to stay one night and come home on Christmas day. I'd really like to plan to come home the same day, but I know if I plan that, there will be a complication that prevents it, so I'm leaning towards one night LOL Nurse jitters, to say the least. Much love and best wishes to all of you who have already had surgery or it is immediately coming up! God Bless!

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

Hello Umma777! There sure seems to be quite a few of us with surgeries near (or on!) the holidays. And covid adds another dimension not being able to have our support with us. As anxious as I feel about surgery, I can’t wait until it is behind me. We will get through this for sure! Please keep us posted as your surgery approaches and during your recovery. Best wishes

• Taralynn
    Taralynn Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2020

hi ladies! Just had my BMX on Tuesday and doing well! I came home Wednesday, which was unexpected. It was supposed to be a same day procedure but due to some issues with my skin, they kept me overnight and I’m glad they did. Recovery was a bit rough with nausea etc. Due to Covid I couldn’t have anyone with me. My husband dropped me off and picked me up the next day. That was tough also.

But I’m feeling much better then expected! Pain is very manageable. They gave me gabapentin which Iwas not familiar with but it works well. And then I’m just taking Advil and Tylenol during the day. My biggest complaint is fatigue which is from the gabapentin. Drains are annoying but definitely not as bad as I’ve read about. I think I got myself too frantic reading everyone else’s stories. This is definitely not a “one size fits all” type of experience!! Hope everyone else is doing well also!

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

Taralynn, wonderful to hear from you and so glad your surgery went well and you are recovering comfortably! I’ve been wondering about the drains, so nice to hear you find them fairly tolerable. How are the tissue expanders? I was told only 50cc fill at surgery so would be fairly flat. Is that your experience, and how do they feel? Do you know when your first fill will be? I’m hoping your speedy recovery continues!

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited December 2020

I have a lumpectomy and reconstruction scheduled for Monday. I was initially nervous about the pain of recovering from surgery, but I got a blood clot from my port a few weeks ago and now I’m paranoid that I won’t wake up from the surgery, even though the chanceof me developing a clot from this surgery is very tiny. No arguing with fear though.

I also have to go to the breast imaging center a few hours before surgery to have wires placed to help the surgeons know where my tumors were - not exactly thrilled at that thought either.

Realistically I know it will all be fine and it most likely won’t hurt that much, but once again the scared part doesn’t want to listen to reason.

• hopeful23
    edited December 2020

Hi Melbo! My surgery is the same date as yours and I understand all of your concerns. I had lumpectomy five years ago with the wire placement. They made sure I was comfortable for the wire placement and I’m sure they will make you comfortable, too. Fortunately I was able to rest a lot after the lumpectomy and I think that really helped with recovery. Best wishes and I will be thinking of you!