Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2021 Surgery Group

Options
farmgirl888
farmgirl888 Member Posts: 14

I'm waiting for confirmation for the 2nd or 9th, Lumpectomy (L) w/ IORT. I will be travelling out of state for the procedure. I can't wait to get this behind me.

Comments

• arb95f
    arb95f Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello - after three very long months waiting for my date, I’m now a week out from lumpectomy with bilateral reduction. The is has been such a hard thing to wait - miscommunication between my oncologist and surgeon seemed to be part of it, plus having the bad luck of being diagnosed right before Thanksgiving - so it seemed the holidays were a factor. I was assured COVID had nothing to do with it, but I’ve been having bouts of anxiety thinking that the cancer has spread.

Would appreciate any words of advice getting through the next week so I’m not spending it in fear - talking with my therapist and meditation and exercise have helped, but with it being close at hand now, I am also feeling a sense of sadness about how life is going to change.

I’m 43, stage 2 ER/PR positive, HER2 negative and no genetic disposition for cancer. Ki-67 was 10% and Mammaprint came back low risk

• farmgirl888
    farmgirl888 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Confirmed date, February 9th. Lumpectomy w/ IORT. Travelling to CA for the procedure.

• Laurenz87
    Laurenz87 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi there, my surgery is scheduled February 16th I'm feeling the exact same way!! I am 33, stage 3a Luminal B having a masectomy. I have been doing macrame while I wait for surgery keeping my hands busy seems to keep my mind off of things. Are you going to go through chemo after? I just went through 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of taxol. I actually found chemo appointments to be very relaxing oddly enough. My chemo nurse said I wasn't the first to tell her that.

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    Options

I am having my MX surgery first week of February too. I am praying that it stays DCIS as it is now, but I am scared it will turn out to be IDC, and more serious issue found. my doctors keep telling me it will be fine; but my minds keep questioning that.

• Laurenz87
    Options

Good luck!!! We can get through this. The waiting is the worst part

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

After nearly 6 months of neoadjuvant hormone therapy, I finally have a consultation with the surgeon scheduled for Feb 5! I hope this means I'll be part of the February club.

I'm planning a single MX with reconstruction (tissue expanders). Since I already know I have at least one positive node, I'm expecting them to do an ALND.

Good luck to everyone!

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi TXLorelei,

May I ask how do they know you have at least one positive node ? Did they do SNB before or if it show up in any of your tests ?

For me, they said so far they have not seen anything suspicious on the lymph nodes; they will do SNB during surgery; and if they find positive there, of course I have to come back and they will remove more nodes (ALND), that’s part I am scared.

Thanks

• tntnsd
    Options

Good luck to you too Laurenz87 and all.
    Boy, don’t I wish none of us have to go through this so badly!!

• txlorelei
    txlorelei Member Posts: 68
    Options

My MRI back in July showed “multiple enlarged nodes”, so they did a biopsy that came back positive. A new MRI last week showed that my tumor and the surrounding LCIS have gotten smallerafter the letrozole, however the lymph nodes are still enlarged.

• tntnsd
    Options

So sorry you had to go through that after MRI, TXLorelei.

Wish you the very best with your surgery and recon. (I myself go without recon). Please keep each other updated and in prayers.

Thanks

• Laurenz87
    Options

@tntnsd would you mind if I ask why you decided to go with no recon? I would have to go through a second surgery for recon since I have to go through radiation due to at least one positive node. Honestly I am on the fence about the second surgery and have looked at other options.

• tntnsd
    Options

hi Laurenz87,

Not at all. I am not too skinny, but on the less than average weight side. If I go with recon, it is likely that I need implants, not from my own skin/fat. I don't have big boobs ( just barely 34B). Maybe just me, but I feel with my age I will not be happy if I have implants in my body, and afraid of some issue down the line with reconstruction.
    My husband also expressed that he would want me do what I feel best for me, will always love and happy if I am well and ok myself. We have daughters who we taught to feel confident within. Also having mastectomy withorecon on one bad breast is all I want to deal with right now. The other breast is cleared on mammogram, ultrasound, mri; so I am keeping it. In the future if it needs to be gone, then I am happy with flat totally too, or will do both if I change my mind about implants at that time.

• Laurenz87
    Options

That's an awesome way to look at it thank you for sharing.

• annlat
    annlat Member Posts: 25
    Options

I guess I'm now part of the Feb surgery group. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy 2/3. I hate having surgery, and I'm not looking forward to anesthesia, but it is outpatient surgery and I will go home later. I'm not overly nervous, just fear of the unknown. I'm saying a prayer for all of you.

• Laurenz87
    Options

Good luck with yours as well! Uncertainty sucks I agree wholeheartedly also having SNB and stressing about it for sure.

• abbyrhodes3
    abbyrhodes3 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hi, fellow Feb surgery folks. Just got my date yesterday - 2/17. I'm having a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.

I suppose everyone has the same fear of them finding positive nodes, and it's weighing on my mind since my doc appointment yesterday. My sonograms so far haven't indicated anything unusual looking, and all who have examined me say nothing feels inflamed. Still, it's the Next Scary Thing, right?

My doc can't find any visible sign of my tumor via sonogram after the chemotherapy - and now she also can't find the marker that was placed by the clinic where I had my biopsy. So the first step on surgery day is a trip to the mammogram machine. They'll use it to find the clip, and run a needle/wire to it so my surgeon knows where to operate. Apparently that's not unusual, but certainly not looking forward to that, plus the SNB shot with the radioactive marker, followed by surgery. It will be a day. I'll just keep reminding myself to be thankful for a partial mastectomy.

• catchi
    catchi Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, I am having bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on February 1st. I was diagnosed in late October with DCIS and later in December with IDC stage 1. I am ER/PR + and Her-2 - and have no genetic disposition. My sister and first cousin are BC survivors. I have also waited 3 long months to get this surgery scheduled due to the holidays and further testing. I've been keeping busy with exercising, sewing, baking and just getting things I need for post-surgery care like zippered or button front tops and pajamas, food and even an over-bed table. I can't wait to get these out but I am scared and nervous not knowing how I will feel or look afterwards. Best of luck and well wishes to you all!

• arb95f
    Options

No chemo planned at the moment - given all the data, they are saying to expect just radiation, but I’m honestly apprehensive still since it’s been a long while. I already have my post-op pathology meeting set for Feb 12, so hoping for an early Valentines gift of just radiation Nerdy

• Nikkyb09
    Nikkyb09 Member Posts: 7
    Options

I'm meeting with my plastic surgeon tomorrow, as long as the snow storm coming our way doesn't lead to a cancellation. I'll be having a BMX with SNB, surgery is set for Feb 25th. Hoping to go the route of BMX > Expanders > radiation > swap to silicone prepectoral implants, but still have to talk to my PS and see if this is possible. I have IDC grade 2 w/ DCIS, ER/PR +, HER2 - . I also have the CHEK2 gene mutation, so I figured I might as well be a little more aggressive in my treatment w/ the BMX to lessen my chance of recurrence. Have already gone through chemo (4 AC, 4 taxol), and recent MRI results show a complete resolution of my cancer (including previously suspicious looking lymph nodes - yay!). So hoping surgery goes well and the MRI results are correct. Big surgeries are no fun, I'm not super nervous yet... but I sure will be towards the end of the month...

Catchi - Good luck on your surgery tomorrow!

• Lynda2021
    Lynda2021 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have lumpectomy surgery scheduled on the 5th for grade 3 DCIS. My diagnosis came as a shock where there is no family history. My surgeon does not know the size of the mass nor if it has moved beyond the duct. I know I will get through the surgery fine its the pathology results and treatment which have me terrified.

I’m so grateful for this group and all the support I see! Thank you to all and best of luck in the coming weeks

• arb95f
    Options

Hello everyone! Just a small update. Since I'm scheduled for a 6:45am call time for surgery tomorrow, I'm going in today to do the seed placement (they said they don't do wire placements much anymore) and radioactive tracer dye in prep for the SNB. So - small bit of things to do today; hoping to get a walk in this afternoon before the big rain hits.

So far - it is 50/50 if my husband will be able to come in and visit me after the procedure tomorrow due to COVID. He isn't even allowed in the building today (same as my last appointment in January). I also had to do a drive through COVID test on Friday. While I am technically outpatient for tomorrow, they are keeping me in for the night with drains which will hopefully be removed by the time I go home on Wednesday. It's going to be crazy rain here and then bright and sunny the rest of the week - somehow, that gives me a bit of peace. :)

• tntnsd
    Options

I am praying for all your ladies having surgery this February. I am having mastectomy tomorrow; hopefully everything will be fine and I can be home resting in afternoon. My husband can only drop me off and wait for the call to pick me up during this covid time. I am nervous, to say the least; afraid that it is more than just DCIS at the post surgery pathology. People around me keep advising me to think positive, I know they are right and mean well, but it is hard ..

Wish myself and everyone in this thread the strength we all need to go through this and best possible outcome.

• MEM127
    MEM127 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Joining you here - I was in the January surgery group but I'm an overachiever and get to have more surgery on the 16th. LOL

I had a lumpectomy and SNB on the 19th, so if any of you have questions on that, I'm happy to share my experience. Easy recovery, and I had it done on both breasts (left was benign, so they call it an "excisional biopsy" but same work, same scar, so ...). For me, the only annoying part was the SNB incision - it's under the armpit and chafes a bit when you are still swollen, which was a lot more irritating than the poor bruised boobs which looked ugly but weren't that uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, the DCIS was too extensive for my small breast, so I am going back for a right side mastectomy on the 16th. But, I now get to skip radiation, so that's something.

Catchi - I hope it went well today!

arb95f and tntnsd - Positive thoughts for you surgeries tomorrow! If you check the January surgery board, everyone did well with surgery and appear to be having smooth recoveries so far. I think the lead up is sometimes harder than the actual surgery or recovery, at least mentally.

annlat - good luck on the 3rd!

It looks like there are a couple other MA folks here. This snowstorm is kind of a bust where I am.

• tntnsd
    Options

Thanks MEM127 for your positive thoughts, love your attitude going through this both January and now February too. I got to learn to look at things like that some how. Hope your mastectomy on 16th will be alright too.

• Danavice
    Danavice Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi there! I had joined the January surgery group page but my surgery was yesterday (1 February). I had a BMX and SNB, aesthetic flat closure. Everything went really smoothly and now I am managing pain with Tylenol only, going home at noon today.

Encouraging news: my doctor had really played up the nuclear tracing injection, but it was actually just a very light pinch.

I hope that everyone has successful surgeries, and no surprises on pathology reports. Sending out fast healing vibes to all!

• tntnsd
    Options

I just had my UMX on the left today. Surgery at 8am, went home by 1pm. So far I am dealing ok with the pain (just took 2 Tylenol pills). A little sore, and tired, but I am happy that this surgery was over. They took 3 sentinel lymph nodes, they are all negative, so that is my good news. I have 2 drains, my husband already help to drain and measure the first time

I cross my fingers to hope no surprise with final pathology (properly will have that early next week before my post op appointment with surgeon).

I did ask the anesthesia doctor for something to help my nausea. She gave me the patch. However, for some reason, I still threw up a bit (with just water) first thing I got home. Not sure if it was the car drive or I drank too much water because of dry throat.

The recliner we rented is a big big help for us. If you can have one, please get one.

Sending good vibes to all of you ladies who will have surgery this month.

• MEM127
    MEM127 Member Posts: 18
    Options

tntnsd - glad to hear it went well. Hope the rest of your recovery is just as smooth.

• tntnsd
    Options

MEM127, thank you!

I will be thinking about you on 02/18 and hope you will have a smooth MX and recovery too

• catchi
    catchi Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi all, I had my surgery Monday, 2/1: bilateral nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I'm so relieved it's done and happy to say it went well. They removed 3 lymph nodes and praying for good news next week when I have my post-op appt. I have not been in too much pain but when I use my arms or hands to reach or open something that's when the pain and tightness are felt in my chest. It is just uncomfortable. So do nothing & have your friends/family help you. At bedside have lots of water & Ricola or a throat lozenge. The intubation tube was rough on my throat and made it very dry & sore while trying to sleep my first night. My booty and tail bone are sore from lying in the same position, so getting up, walking around and sitting at edge help with circulation & soreness.

Thank you for your well wishes. Praying and wishing the best for all of your upcoming treatments, surgeries and recovery.

• tntnsd
    Options

Hi Catchi

Glad that your surgery went alright and you are resting at home now too. ( you are right, it kinda sore at the tail bone for lying same position whole night). I hope this will not last long; and we will be able to sleep normally in 2 weeks or so.