Join Us

We are 224,367 members in 83 forums discussing 163,513 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mastcetomy plus breast reduction

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Sep 11, 2021 07:49AM - edited Sep 11, 2021 08:05AM by pilotpair

pilotpair wrote:

I am 72 with D size breasts and cancer in my right one. My female surgeon is going to do a mastectomy (I don't want reconstruction) but suggested I also have my left breast reduced as well as lifted.

From what I've read, the breast reduction is a more complex surgery than the mastectomy itself, but my surgeon says the recovery time will be about the same.

I would love to have a smaller breast, especially as I age, but not sure if it's worth it.

Has anyone had this?

P. S. I am also considering bilateral mastectomy instead. I had lumpectomy in right breast 9 years ago.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 11, 2021 09:11AM Moderators wrote:

Hi pilotpair and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We're so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, but we're really glad you've decided to post, even though it looks like you've been a member for quite a while. You're sure to get some great advice here soon!

In the meantime, we wanted to point out this page from the main Breastcancer.org site on Altering the Opposite Breast -- there's some helpful information on Breast Reduction and Breast Lift.

We hope this helps! Please keep us posted with what you decide and how you're doing.

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Sep 11, 2021 10:02AM MountainMia wrote:

I didn't have mastectomy and reduction, but I did have lumpectomy and reduction. The reduction was the more complicated surgery, but the recovery was still pretty easy. Good luck with the decisions and the surgery.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Sep 11, 2021 02:01PM Carpe-Diem wrote:

Hi Pilotair

When I had my first mastectomy and reconstruction of one breast back in 2014, I went to the plastic surgeon a few months later, to have my good breast reduced and lifted so that they would be the same size. I had to go back for a second reconstruction a few years later. The reduction and lift was not very difficult at all. It was an hour or so and you head home. I felt a little tender for a week, but that was it. Ironically, I recently was diagnosed with second breast cancer in reconstructed breast, and I had another full mastectomy and decided to go flat. My healthy breast is still there. I am considering getting it reduced again so to take some pressure off my back and also I don't have to wear such a large prosthesis form on the other side of my chest. I found the reduction and lift to be a relatively simple surgery and recovery. If it makes you feel good, why not?

Dx 2021 Metaplastic Spindle Cell Triple Negative Dx 12/12/2013, ILC/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/3/2014 AC Chemotherapy 2/27/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 5/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 6/30/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/9/2014 Surgery 1/21/2021 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 1/29/2021, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/25/2021 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/30/2021 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 11, 2021 02:50PM reflect wrote:

I had reduction to match lumpectomy breast size. it wasn't difficult and I am very glad I did it.

Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/30/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 2/3/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/24/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/13/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)