Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

October 2021 Surgeries

Options
aram
aram Member Posts: 320

My surgery date is going to be on October 6th. At the moment we are planning on BMX with immediate reconstruction unless if they find surprises during surgery. Anybody else having surgery in October? I kind of can't wait to get over with the surgery...

Β«134

Comments

• Kayce234
    Kayce234 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Hi Aram

I'm scheduled 10/18 for a BMX with DIEP reconstruction same day. I get the kind of can't wait. I was diagnosed - 2nd time- in August and just want to get this started. After surgery I will most likely have 12 wks of chemo.

• aram
    Options

Hi Kayce, I hope your surgery goes well. How long is recovery for DIEP? I hope it goes smoothly for you.

• Kayce234
    Options

HI Aram

Seems like the recovery is fairly long. I'll have drains in my breast for 2 wks and the abdomen for 6wks. I'll be hunched over and have to use a walker for a few weeks. I'll have to wear a abdominal brace for about 3mths. But Plastic Surgeon is confident - without being cocky - that I'll be happy after it's all over. What are you doing for reconstuction?

• jspringer4
    jspringer4 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Just got my BMX scheduled for 10/27, which I feel is way too long of a wait given all of this started in July. Feeling annoyed and frustrated by the length of the wait but I'm sure that will change to fear as I get closer to the date.

• aram
    Options

Kayce, I hope it goes all well :) I am having skin sparing mastectomy. I didn't want to keep my nipples to reduce further breast cancer risk as I am BRCA1 positive.

jspringer4, I completely understand the frustration. I am about 12 days away and the fear has not started yet. I guess I am mostly afraid of my breasts at this point.

• Kayce234
    Options

Jspringer4 I felt that way the first time I went through cancer. We all hear cancer and expect things to move super quick, but the reality is with most diagnosis a few months don't make a difference. I'm Triple Negative so they are moving quicker this time around but still 6 weeks after diagnosis. I do hate the sit and wait - I want it started so it will be over sooner.

• Florida65
    Florida65 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Just a quick update to original post below: you asked about hybrid options. You can always do that as secondary procedure. My additional emergency surgeries caused hematoma on the left side that I’m still (13 weeks out) dealing with having manually drained in Ofc. Now I can finally see the size of boobs (even tho they are still swollen). They trimmed the flap during the multiple surgeries and the left side and it is essentially flat/saggy with a deep crease/fold near cleavage area. I have no symmetry. Plastic surgeon suggested adding implants to increase size on one or both breasts (good flap on right is A cup bra; problematic side not even A cup). They can augment some using liposuction but I don’t know if it’ll be enough fix the flattish side…I could have gotten implants without the horrific abdominal surgery. Results on flaps seem to be a crap shoot. I’ve got to heal more before additional procedures. Still have drainage on left, limited upper mobility and extreme abdominal tightnessβ€”makes you eat less, lol. If you don’t mind implants then why go through flap surgery? It did tighten my tummy but it looks like the result of a harvesting machine accident-pulls if you try to sleep on side. I think a simple tummy tuck at another time would have been better results. Abdominal incision will need scar revision surgery too. Hopefully this will loosen up with time.

Original post below:

I had double mastectomy and immediate DIEP flap reconstruction July 14. I do not recommend it. Two emergency surgeries to repair blood flow problems with the flap on the left side within 48 hours of initial surgery, 4-6 blood transfusions, 6 nights in hospital full of covid cases and unvaccinated workers.

The right side seems ok except it is deformed with big deep crease.

I had 5 drains initially (2 abdominal &3 breast) and they came out one at a time over 6 weeks…4 days later I needed another drain surgically installed in left side. The drains are very very uncomfortable and everything seems to move them. Plus they thought I might have a staph infection from drain so needed additional round of antibiotics.

I couldn't take any pain meds as I quickly became impacted…

I highly recommend an electric chair that will help you stand and you can sleep in it. Getting in and out of bed with long drain tubes and not being able to use your arms is impossible…especially with abdomen incision-which is huge. I got a cheap one from rooms to go since delivery was fast and had to line it with foam and pillows. A mesh bag to hold drain tubes is helpful but you can use a lanyard hanging from your neck. Liquid sensitive skin soap and good quality water based skin cream helps too.

My dr recommended MASTHEADPINK Elizabeth brand bra…it's a really good one that secures drains. I bought 2 sizes thinking swelling would go down but ended up returning smaller size. Their size chart is accurate but I suggest 2 of same size. I'm 11 weeks out from surgery and now trying to find a more fitted bra but bra size charts are poor. Trying to find some that doesn't stretch at band means you need 6" larger but then my tiny boobs get lost in B cup-even soft sports bra type cup. If anyone has recommendations for bras that do not compress (important for blood flow), please let me know.

I would have gotten a flat chest with no reconstruction if I could go back in time. I still have scabs not healed, range of motion is very compromised and pain…they cut ribs to get to a vein!

Hopefully this will help give a realistic picture of recovery when considering DIEP

Update: 11 weeks since surgery, had another 85 cc of fluid removed with needle in left breast-last drain there came out 2 weeks ago.

Fruit of the loom bras recommended by several on this site are comfortable but again sizing is confusing. These seem to have more stretch in band so maybe best to shoot for 4" more than chest measures. I've tried Annette, Wacoal, Amoena, playtex brands.if anyone wants details lmk. The Masthead pink Elizabeth bra that holds drains is great while you have drains but then you need to move to a different type of in between bra…this is where it gets challenging

• aram
    Options

Florida65, I am sorry it was hard on you and thank you for sharing

• elle2
    elle2 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Florida65 - I am so sorry to hear that your BMX and DIEP reconstruction did not go very smoothly. It sounds as if everything that could go awry did and it is disappointing to hear. I can imagine that reconstruction with a BMX would be much harder because you are so limited in not using either arm to maneuver. We all have to make decisions about the best path to take with this journey including the steps to reconstruction or not. I hope that soon, all the negatives from your surgery will be behind you and you can move forward in healing.

Kayce234 - I am on my third week of recovery from DIEP surgery. There are a couple of us in the September Surgeries that chose DIEP and I would invite you to look into that thread for our thoughts and recovery posts too. My surgery went well and I was in the hospital for 3 days. I left the hospital with 2 drains in the breast and 2 in the abdomen. Five days after surgery, I had 2 drains out and 4 days later, the last two came out. I was on Gabapentin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen and Cefalexin and have had very little pain since the surgery. I keep my compression garment on my waist during the day and sleep without it at night. I'm in a very comfortable bra from True that has no seams, no catches in the front or back, and is soft to wear. It also has pads inside so that I look halfway balanced in public! I agree with Florida65 that a recliner is the most comfortable plan for sleeping and being able to get in and out of comfortably. I did have a physical therapist in the hospital who showed me the proper ways to get in and out of bed with the least amount of pain and harm. I wish you a very uneventful surgery and very quick recovery.

• Florida65
    Florida65 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I understand the stress of waiting. My biopsy was in April and my surgery was 7/14. The more research and preparation you can do will fill the time. At the end I didn’t have enough time to di everything.

I made food inventory, stocked up, prepared and froz meals easy for my husband to prepare. I rearranged my closet, pantry and kitchen shelves to make things easier to reach.

A few things to consider: You can’t sleep on side or flat on your back for 6-8 weeks. After sleeping in the stand up recliner for 3-4 weeks and I had fewer drains, I was able to sleep in my bed with a maternity pillow recommended by a blogger that had DIEP. I tried several methods prior to surgery to not roll onto my side without success. This huge pillow keeps you on your back (pile more pillows for lumbar and neck support) and a pillow(s) under your knees helps the needed bend. My surgeon recommended ’beach chair’ position for abdominal incision comfort. Test your sleeping position prior to surgery so you can purchase or make additional items that will make you more comfortable. I tried several travel neck pillows-wasn’t comfortable.

Also, buy/make something huge to wear around the house. Easy arm openings-range of motion limited. I found some Walmart cheap men’s 3x tank tops with huge arm holes-can wear anywhere with pull on pants & kimono wrap over it. I made a few β€˜capes’ that wrap around with easy arm holes, I tore sleeves sides out of old shirts to cover me front & backβ€”open sides easier on drains. I made pillows for arm rests and seat belt protection. I covered my sleep chair with plastic and a fitted sheet in case my drains or incision leaked and I covered the floor with an old comforter in case I made a mess. Many things I tried didn’t work but happy to have found some that did. Fleece 1yard remnants are cheap and useful in many ways. A lanyard for showering with drains, liquid soap and hand held shower are must haves too.

Also think about electronics to make things easier. I bought electric plugs for lamps, etc that my phone can control via wifi. Other items; plug in buzzer with remote button to call my husband for help, a Roku tv switch, etc. Have your recovery space full of reading, music, tv etc because recovery gets boring. Those grabber sticks are great too since bending hurts

One person recommended deep cleaning your house but I’ll add a suggestion: finish cleaning the kitchen and bathroom the last days prior to surgery because it was 9 weeks (yuck) before I could do much cleaning…lots of cleaning still to do.

I feel like I may be finally moving in the right direction at 11 weeks after surgery. I can shower with out help, prepare easy foods and drive now! I hope my experience is not the norm but stock up just in case. Hoping this helps you prepare.

• mamacure
    mamacure Member Posts: 256
    Options

hi everyone, my surgery is oct 5th, single mx + aux dissection. Scared but so ready to get it over with. Flat closure w/o PS. I have confidence in my surgeon. I’m shopping for compression sleeve & gloves. Best wishes to you all! Keep us posted.

• aram
    Options

mamacure, my surgery is a day after you but BMX with skin sparing implants. I haven't done any shopping yet. I am going to see the nurse on Thursday and hopefully get a list from her of what I need. Browsing on this site, I saw many women mentionin they didn't need anything special just some nice to haves. But I am not sure.

• Kayce234
    Options

Florida365 thank you!! I've been putting together an order of things ill need this is great!!!

• Kayce234
    Options

Mamacure ...welcome and good luck!!

• Kayce234
    Options

aram. I was told button-down everything. Shirts, pj's, etc

• NicInTexas
    NicInTexas Member Posts: 18
    Options

I'm now in the October surgery club - 27th for BMX and DIEP flaps. The flaps are planned to increase probability of success of eventual implants due to my prior radiation. Apparently, this hybrid approach improves success of implants (which will come 4-6 months later). I didn't have enough belly fat to supply two breasts or we wouldn't be talking about implants.

Anyone else aware of this hybrid reconstruction?

• Kayce234
    Options

Well my surgery date was moved from the 18th to the 21st. 3 extra days of waiting...

NicInTexas - I was given the hybrid option - are they taking the muscle from your back? The only issue I've heard is if you like to kayak you can have issues with rowing.

• mle42
    mle42 Member Posts: 124
    Options

Hi all, my surgery (lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy) was just scheduled for Oct 25. I’ve never had β€œreal” surgery before - don’t think my port placement really counts since I was awake during it - and am pretty nervous. But eager to get it done, happy to be finished with chemo and moving to thi next step! This forum has been really helpful in knowing what to expect. Though I was surprised when my surgeon told me last week that I shouldn’t wear tight/compression bras in the first couple weeks after surgery. β€œGentle support” is what they kept repeating.

• NicInTexas
    NicInTexas Member Posts: 18
    Options

Kayce234 - regarding my 'hybrid' procedure, it's not the back version. It's actually a DIEP to put belly fat in place at time of my BMX. However, they will come back in and put implants in at the 4-6 month mark. My PS said that this gives some separation between the radiated skin and the implant that greatly reduces the likelihood of capsular contracture. I'm not looking forward to the recovery, but I'm looking forward to getting on with this.

Any of you getting a COVID booster before your surgery? I will be eligible October 15, and my surgery is scheduled for October 27. My surgeon wants me to get it in. I'm not asking because I have concerns about the vaccine in general - I'm asking about timing before the surgery (i.e. is it too close?).

Thinking positive thoughts for all you going through this.

• aram
    Options

NicInTexas, I got the third one about a month ago. I called my nurse and she said not to get it on the cancer side. Maybe call and check with yours?

Mamacure, good luck tomorrow with your surgery.

I have my pre-operation covid test tomorrow. Also I will see the nurse so she teaches me how to work the drains.

• mamacure
    Options

Thanks Aram! Glad to see a familiar name here. I passed the pre-op Covid test & ready to get it done tomorrow. Wishing everyone the best. I’ll check in after my surgery.

• aram
    Options

mamacure, you are on my mind. I hope it goes well.

I did my covid test and I am ready for tomorrow. It is getting real...

• Kayce234
    Options

Aram. Thinking of you and praying all goes well tomorrow. πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’• update when you can

• Kayce234
    Options

mama used. Thinki g of you and praying all went well. Update when able. πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ’•

• aram
    Options

Thank you Kayce. I am at the hospital waiting to go in. I hope for no surprises.

• Kayce234
    Options

Aram

You got this!! All will turn out well πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ™πŸ’•πŸ’•

• pchyen
    pchyen Member Posts: 96
    Options

Hi mamacure, hope your surgery went well!

Hi Aram, best wishes!

• aram
    Options

Thank you Kayce and Peter. I was discharged yesterday. So far it has been better than my expectations. We will see if it continues to stay that way!

• labmama56
    labmama56 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi All,

I'm waiting for my surgery date but looks like it might be right around Halloween. Talk about a trick or treat!!! Like many of you have expressed, the waiting is the hardest part for me at this point. I'm waiting for another biopsy on a 2nd mass found on MRI, then confirmed on mammogram and US--spiculated and hypo echoic, so I'm prepared it will also be malignant.

The 2nd mass in a separate quadrant (right breast) has me leaning toward MX and reconstruction vs. lumpectomy at this point. I'm going to talk with my team about whether DIEP would be better immediately or waiting for awhile.

Arum, I'm with you on the "scared of my breast" feeling right now. And hoping that your recovery is going super well!

Mamacure, I hope your recovery is going really well too!

Florida65, I hope things have improved a lot for you at this point. Thank you for sharing your experience, it's very helpful in thinking things through and for all the info on what things I should consider to make things easier! Getting ready to make a bunch of different soups to put in the freezer this weekend.

Kayce234 & NicInTexas, thanks for your posts too, very helpful as I'm thinking through my options. Wishing you both all the best in your next steps. Discussed COVID-booster with my dr and she doesn't want me to get it prior to surgery. She said that they have seen some surgeries get delayed or lymph nodes that looked fine and then didn't, likely as reactions to the booster but then muddied the waters about removing them at surgery. So I'm going to wait. It rots to have to factor COVID into what is already enough difficulty!!

mle42, if I end up going the lumpectomy + radiation route, I have the same recommendations about supportive sports bra.

I did find a nice site that has lots of good options for bras, robes and lounge pants (with pockets for drains!): https://www.anaono.com I think I have some sort of referral coupon thingy, if you want one, just PM me. I got a couple of the bras and some pants, they are super soft and comfortable.

Wishing everyone a good day and lots of good energy!

Dianne

• mamacure
    Options

Thank you everyone, my surgery went smoothly. I wish I could have rested in the hospital bed for a few more hours but they rushed me out. I vomited when they moved me & 4 more times after that. Glad that is all behind me. The pain is manageable so don’t worry. Aram, glad to hear your surgery went well too! Rest up. I have to wear the compression sleeve & glove most of the day. Not fun. Very glad it’s over! Best wishes to everyone here