Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

April Surgery 2022

Options

I didn't see one for April created yet. So, I thought I'd get it going. Let me know if I missed something. My surgery for a BMX is scheduled for April 15. So many feelings. Who else getting surgery this month? This will be the first surgery of my life. What a doozy.

Comments

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45
    Options

Hi ilovecatsandfiddle, I have seen your posts and I do wish you well with your surgery. We have the same diagnosis, sort of. I was originally given the DCIS diagnosis and it, since my lumpectomy, has been upgraded to add a micro invasion. So, I had a surgery in March and now I have my sentinel node operation in April(20). Not happy about two surgeries but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Be well…

• lakelife8
    lakelife8 Member Posts: 1
    Options

second surgery 4/5/2022 - Sentinel Node biopsy - 3 nodes

not so patiently waiting for results.

• DG2021
    DG2021 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi April Surgery Friends!

So glad you started this thread! I am going in for a mastectomy on April 11 after a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy in late November left 2 unclean margins, but no node involvement. Also, we paused for a 3 month round of chemo due to a high oncotype score - an unexpected adventure, for sure. So, I am hopeful that this is the last part of my process and that the oral meds for 5 years will be the only remaining "treatment" for a long time. Not looking forward to the drains based upon other comments in other threads, but post surgical recovery seems promising as the recovery after my lumpectomy went pretty well overall. Prep for the mastectomy seems so much simpler that for the lumpectomy - no dye injection for nodes, no wire placement - glad for that.

Hoping you all have smooth and successful surgeries and will be on to share my experience, too. Packing my bag this weekend and hope i am ready...

Thanks for the opportunity to share and hear.

• bhorn
    bhorn Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yes! So glad this thread was started! dg2021, I'll be having a mastectomy the same day, April 11th. It sounds like you've been through quite a lot already. Praying for a good outcome for you!

• DG2021
    Options

Hi bhorn -

Good luck to you, too. Hoping we both have smooth experiences!

• nipab
    nipab Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hello April people, I had a single mastectomy on my left side in early March. Doing well with expander. Just wanted to give some tips,

1. Buy a mastectomy pillow, helps a lot if you have young kids or pets who are going to jump at you. I have neither still, it helped a lot, especially sleeping at night and in the car.

2. Sleep on the recliner chair, not the bed. With BMX, you have to sleep on your back for a couple of weeks and it's much harder than we think. A recliner should have fabric for comfort, not leather.

3. Once your drains are out, ask your surgeon about lymphatic fluid buildup in your breast. With lymph nodes removed and drains out, fluid has no way to go. I had drains for three weeks. After four weeks, my breast started to look red, and a few days later, angry red. I was supposed to start chemo but all that has been put on hold and I was put on antibiotics and sent to PT for lymphatic massage. I do massage at home to move fluid away from my breast. now it looks better but still ways to go.

4. Exercise regularly. Walking is best as you don't have to involve your arms much but gives you great exercise.

5. Above all, take a deep breath and don't stress. This too shall pass.

• ilovecatsandfiddle
    ilovecatsandfiddle Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hi --- April 11th ladies,

How are you doing? I hope both of your surgeries went smoothly and that those nerve blockers worked! Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you. My surgery is on Friday, so I'm right behind you. Sending you lots of love and healing!

• DG2021
    Options

ilovecatsandfiddle -

Glad to share that it went well and the hospital stay was comfortable and pretty uneventful. Very glad to have it done and over, though as it just looms so large in your head, you know? Pain has been not too bad at all, and staying on a schedule for taking the tylenol and motrin has really helped. But, I also just had the mastectomy with no reconstruction. So far so good with the drain, too. Fingers crossed! Hoping for a similar outcome for you!!

nipab - so sorry to hear about your infection from the fluids and thanks for the heads up on it. Also, good luck with starting your chemo! I just finished a month ago and have two small tips to share (as we are all so different): use the anti-nausea meds as needed for sure, and be aware of the impact the chemo can have on your mouth. Avoiding spicy and acidic food and using mouth rinses like Biotene and warm salt water rinses really helped.

Take good care for now, group!!

• marveldanvers64
    marveldanvers64 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi all, I just had my lumpectomy last Monday April 4 with sentinel node biopsy. Thankfully no node spread, but waiting on oncotype results.

I also had the BRCA test done before the surgery and it came out negative...but worried that the oncotype will send me to chemo.

Been having a lot of pain 6 days post surgery, that started this past Saturday. It was excruciating on Sunday. I read that you're supposed to elevate and do some slow exercises with your arm to help with the cording, but am worried that I overdid it cause I'm in a lot of pain. Unless it is seroma or immediate lymphedema? I don't even know. I hope I didn't damage anything by doing the suggested exercises on the cancer websites. I'm worried.

Thankful to have found these forums, and appreciate any insight!

• nipab
    nipab Member Posts: 46
    Options

dg2021, thank you for the chemo tips. My oncologist already gave me a prescription for anti-nausea meds, I will definitely take them.A mouth rinse recommendation is a good tip. Thanks

Hope everyone's surgery going well and healing nicely

• tyggerj
    tyggerj Member Posts: 13
    Options

After what seems like for ever I am finally scheduled for my lumpectomy with sentinal node removal on 4/20. Went today and purchased a couple button up/zip up shirts and bras. I just want this part over and my pathology report back.

• buzzbomb
    buzzbomb Member Posts: 45
    Options

Had my sentinel node biopsy yesterday, went well. Three nodes removed. I’m pretty blue! Meet with doc on May 10 for results but not expecting anything unusual. So very happy to have both surgeries over with

• wendini
    wendini Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thank you for your encouraging words. I have upcoming, May 16, mastectomy for high grade DCIS, after a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation all 16 years ago, same breast. 57 years old. Sadly reading about Post Mastectomy Pain syndrome. Was feeling positive and strong until seeing all the scholarly studies on this. love to all...