Topic: May surgery thread

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: May 2, 2022 05:47AM

Posted on: May 2, 2022 05:47AM

janewhite wrote:

Happy MAY everyone! Going to start the May thread, even though I'm not scheduled for a couple more weeks yet. Best wishes, family.

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

May 3, 2022 01:40AM fur-n-scales wrote:

Hi, I’m tentatively scheduled for May 11th. Bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with tissue expanders. Left side dx, right side prophylactic. I have final appointments with oncologist and surgeon this week

May 4, 2022 10:21AM - edited May 4, 2022 10:22AM by wendini

I have May 16 mastectomy for high grade DCIS, after a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation all 16 years ago, same breast. 57 years old. Sadly reading about Post Mastectomy Pain syndrome. Was feeling positive and strong until seeing all the scholarly studies on this. love to all...

May 5, 2022 01:18AM fur-n-scales wrote:

hi Wendini,

I’m in a similar situation. My first diagnosis was 12 years ago. Now dealing with dcis diagnosis. It was a difficult decision to go ahead with the mastectomy. In addition, I’m having trouble getting my surgery scheduled, I keep getting moved and it’s driving me crazy

May 5, 2022 08:59PM janewhite wrote:

I'm scheduled for right side preventive mastectomy May 19. Last year I was diagnosed with DCIS at age 40, and I decided to do lumpectomy with bilateral reduction and lift, followed by radiation.

Then we found out there was another DCIS site that didn't show up on the scans, and it got cut in half during the first surgery. So I had left mastectomy 3 weeks later.

At this point, I've decided I just want to go boobless. My first recovery wasn't too bad, I hate the stress of mammograms, and the risk of another, potentially worse cancer is rather high given my age. I don't want reconstruction, either.

Looking forward to being breast-free.

May 5, 2022 10:59PM - edited May 5, 2022 11:01PM by ath3na

Hi endini, your comment made me think of this study I saw recently about pre-op numbing cream as a potential way to reduce the risk of post-op pain. EMLA is a topical numbing cream widely used in outpatient procedures with few associated side effects. I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently (I created an account to respond to you, have been lurking here for a few weeks after a nerve-wracking biopsy at age25), but it's a 2000 clinical trial by Fassoulaki et al. called “EMLA reduces acute and chronic pain after breast surgery for cancer." I'll paste the results section in case it's behind a paywall. May be worth at least asking about with your care team!

Results: Acute pain at rest and with movement did not differ between the EMLA and control groups, and the analgesics consumed during the first 24 hours were the same for the EMLA and control groups. However, time to the first analgesia requirement was longer (P = .04), and codeine and paracetamol consumption during the second to fifth days was less (P = .001, and P = .004, respectively) in the EMLA versus the control group. Three months postoperatively, pain in the chest wall, axilla, and the total incidence and the intensity of chronic pain were significantly less in the EMLA versus the control group (P = .004, P = .025, P = .002 and P = .003, respectively). The use of analgesics at home and abnormal sensations did not differ between the 2 groups.

Conclusions: The application of EMLA to patients undergoing breast surgery for cancer reduced the postoperative analgesic requirements and the incidence and intensity of chronic pain."

May 6, 2022 03:25AM wendini wrote:

These are very trying days we are in. I found my counselling appointment helped, and exercise to keep me sane! Feel positive and ok one day and overwhelmed the next. Sending you hugs...

May 6, 2022 03:29AM wendini wrote:

Very grateful, thank you and I will definitely look into this. I hear the earlier we start a light motion and exercise the better. Day 2 start some movement and Rof Motion stuff...the women on here blow my mind with their support and strength.

May 15, 2022 03:40AM fur-n-scales wrote:

just wanted to check in. Wendini and janewhite are you prepared for next week

May 16, 2022 10:30AM janewhite wrote:

I am so ready. With the recent heat, I remember how annoying breasts can be, and I'm eager to get it over with and enjoy flat girl summer!

May 17, 2022 11:07AM fur-n-scales wrote:

janewhite, that’s great! I have my radioactive injection tomorrow and surgery Wednesday. I’ve been cleaning a lot and planning for meals… I’m already feeling guilty that I won’t be able to do housework for a while. Crazy, right?

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Scroll to top button