Topic: May surgery thread

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: May 1, 2022 05:47PM

Posted on: May 1, 2022 05:47PM

janewhite wrote:

Happy MAY everyone! Going to start the May thread, even though I'm not scheduled for a couple more weeks yet. Best wishes, family.

Surgery 8/5/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Surgery 8/24/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Surgery 5/19/2022 Mastectomy (Right): Simple Dx DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Page 2 of 6 (56 results)

May 18, 2022 03:34PM moderators wrote:

Hello, all,

We wanted to let you know we have organized a new meet-up for people age 45 and under with a metastatic breast cancer diagnosis and wanted to let you know in case you would be interested in participating if this meet-up description applies to you. The meet-up will be run by Julie Kramer, who had a metastatic diagnosis of sarcoma in her 20s.

Under 45 w/ Metastatic Breast Cancer

When: Thursdays at 1pm, ET (first meetup is May 26, 2022 1:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting: https://breastcancer-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/...

We hope to see you next Thursday, and please share with others who may be interested in being part.

-- The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

May 19, 2022 08:54PM janewhite wrote:

Hey, fur-n-scales, how did it go? I got my surgery done today, and I'm not feeling too bad. I was walking around for a while. My parents came over, and they help but they also take it out of me and keep asking questions, like, "Where's your son's shorts?"

Surgery 8/5/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Surgery 8/24/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Surgery 5/19/2022 Mastectomy (Right): Simple Dx DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

May 21, 2022 06:17PM fur-n-scales wrote:

hi janewhite!

Good to hear that you’re feeling ok. My surgery was Wednesday. The past few days have been all about pain management and eating enough. Definitely limit the time spent with people who sap your energy! Let me know how you’re feeling

May 21, 2022 10:01PM janewhite wrote:

After a day of general craziness that included my father asking for nails and then hanging a bunch of photographs all over the house, they took the kids off to their house for the weekend. After which I took a nice little 12-hour nap.

I've been chilling out all day. I'm not needing too much pain medication, haven't had any since last night.

Ice packs help. And I'm still so, SO happy to be breast-free.

May 22, 2022 07:32AM fur-n-scales wrote:

I can’t believe you don’t need the pain meds. I’ve been having pain on the side that previously had lumpectomy and radiation. So Tylenol and OxyContin as needed. Stretching helps too but difficult with drains

May 22, 2022 11:30AM janewhite wrote:

Last time I remember it hurt a lot more.

Last August I had lumpectomy with bilateral reduction and lift, then the pathology lab discovered another DCIS site, totally missed on the scans, that got cut in half during the first surgery, and I had to have 1-sided mastectomy just a few weeks later. THAT was rough, especially since my reduction wounds reopened and took a long time to heal fully. That was a Whole Situation, and I remember being in a lot of pain. This time around is easier.

It's also easier that I've only had surgery on one side this year, which means I can lie on my side as well as my back.

May 23, 2022 06:17AM fur-n-scales wrote:

it’s amazing what you’ve been through. The pain is not what I expected, it’s like a burning at the site of the drains, and a heaviness in one arm. The incisions on my chest are different on either side, the radiated side is still reddish in color and slightly concave at the collar bone. I wonder if this will change

May 23, 2022 09:07AM janewhite wrote:

The arm might have to do with lymph node removal. Look into some lymphedema exercises.

And yes, it will probably look more normal with time.

May 24, 2022 09:05AM janewhite wrote:

OK, I've had ENOUGH. Enough of wearing a binder, enough of having drains, enough of itchy dressings over the incisions and the drain ports.

Post-op is Friday, hopefully some of those annoyances will go away then.

May 24, 2022 07:37PM fur-n-scales wrote:

janewhite I HEAR YOU! I saw my PS today and had 2 of the 4 drains removed. Still uncomfortable, still itchy, still can’t shower…. next week they plan to remove the other 2. I’m very worried about the stiffness in my arm getting any worse, it’s not the side that they removed nodes, it’s actually the side that I had nodes removed 12 years ago! So I don’t know…

Page 2 of 6 (56 results)

Scroll to top button