Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Which BC Surgery Offers Better Long-Term Quality of Life?

moderators
moderators Posts: 7,816

Which Breast Cancer Surgery Offers Better Long-Term Quality of Life?
May 5, 2022

Women were satisfied with their breasts 10 years after either lumpectomy and radiation or mastectomy and reconstruction for early-stage breast cancer. Still, women who had lumpectomy and radiation had better psychosocial and sexual well-being. Read more...

Comments

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,021
    edited June 2022

This was a very poor study in that it completely left out women who chose mastectomy without reconstruction, and presented a distinct bias against going flat. With over 45% - and rising - of women opting out of reconstruction after a mastectomy, this is a large group of women to ignore.

A 2021 survey of women who went flat found that 74% of their respondents were happy with their decision. And this in light of 22% of these women dealing with doctors who didn't even bother to offer flat as an option, or actively discouraged them from considering it. "More Breast Cancer Patients Opting Out of Reconstructive Surgery", Jan 17, 2021.

Going flat is a legitimate and valuable option for women facing breast cancer. It's time we put the woman before the boobs; and support our flat sisters as the brave, strong, and valid survivors they are.

• bitchonwheels
    bitchonwheels Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2022

I had lumpectomy with radiation with boost after surgery which studies show have basically the same survival rates as mastectomy. My affected breast looks pretty good with the exception of the areola with is colorless and the skin is thicker in that area and the surgery scar which is not visible from a frontal view. At my last mammogram the experienced technician they brought in didn’t like the look of my nipple but there were no issues except for normal calcifications they expect after radiation. All that being said I look at that breast as a nuclear bomb about to go off and am pretty sure no pleasure will ever be gotten from it anymore. I’m 63 and have 4 children who I breastfed for a total of about 10 years so these mammary glands have performed admirably and done their job. At this point I will go flat if the evil breast cancer bitch returns and I salute all women who have done so. Our breasts do not define the amazing women we are or can become

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,021
    edited July 2022

BitchOnWheels, you rock! I hope you never have to go through it all again, but if you do - going flat is a very freeing option. I totally understand that plenty of women feel more confident with a "normal" looking chest, and that's fine. But being flat or half-flat is a normal post-cancer body too.

BTW, I also nursed my kiddos for a total of 4 1/2 years. I also overproduced, so I could donate to the local milk bank and Eats on Feets. My breasts did wonders - but I had no regrets ditching one of them when it succumbed.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816
    edited July 2022

Miriandra, thank you for bringing up the going flat point, and your point is very valid! We do also report on those stories, we were just reporting on the study as it was done.

For more info:

Thanks for your contributions and valuable insight!

--The Mods

• jenna2500
    jenna2500 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2022

hi......so do you regret having a lumpectomy?

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited July 2022

I appreciate other poster's comments, but to answer Jenna: no, I have no regrets about having a lumpectomy. It is a personal decision.