Topic: September surgery scheduled and need to chat?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Sep 4, 2022 06:19PM

Posted on: Sep 4, 2022 06:19PM

fivetimes wrote:

hi all!

I’m scheduled for DXM on Thursday and would love to talk about what’s happening!

Is anyone scheduled for surgery in September?

Thanks

Mary

Page 6 of 8 (78 results)

Sep 22, 2022 02:13PM mavericksmom wrote:

Thanks for the hugs! Were you able to drive yourself to your first post op visit? I am planning to drive myself, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2022 02:51PM mavericksmom wrote:

serendipity, and fivetimes, did you see your breast surgeon for post-surgery follow up visits? I am assuming I won't see mine again since the PS already scheduled me for a one-week post-surgical appointment. He mentioned something about seeing me weekly, of course, by "seeing me" he meant having the PA see me. I had a PA for my 2019 mastectomy post-surgical visits, and he was very good. I see no point in having my breast examined by two people after surgery to check for healing. After the healing is complete from my Oct surgery, I see no need to see any breast surgeon again.

Did I mention I saw a picture of the PA I will see? She's a very beautiful, VERY YOUNG woman? You know you are getting old when you start wondering if doctors and PA's are old enough to be treating you! I am sure she will be wonderful, as have been all the PAs and NPs I have had.

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2022 03:00PM lw422 wrote:

Hi Serendipity!! XOXO Hope you're doing well.

Hi MavericksMom!! Just thought I'd butt in to say that I have Medicare Advantage and I didn't have to pay a single cent for my surgery or hospital last year (single mastectomy and lympho-venous bypass). Of course I had already satisfied the $3000 "out of pocket" maximum after having chemo, scans, etc. for 6 months. I was also out patient but spent the night in the hospital.

Sep 22, 2022 03:21PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Lw!! I'm doing good!! Hope are too!!! <3

Mavericksmom - my PS came in to see me the morning after my surgery and I saw her my first post-op appointment (first three drains removed.) I went in to see the RN to have my last three drains removed and PS came in. I was scheduled to see her NP for my second post-op, but she came in and took at look. I'm very happy with her.

I was not able to drive for my first post-op after my BMX. For this surgery I just started driving yesterday. I don't think you should drive so soon after surgery as you really shouldn't be using your arm(s) so soon, but you'll know.

I saw my BS one month post-op and very six months after.

My BS surgeon is in her mid-forties and beautiful. My PS and her NP look much younger, and are absolutely gorgeous.

Like LW, I was considered outpatient when I had my overnight stay so was not charged.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 22, 2022 09:34PM mavericksmom wrote:

serendipity, you do have a wonderful PS! When I go home the day of my surgery, no one will see me or hear from me until the week after surgery. I never even met the PA, so I am not feeling great about her doing the follow up visit. It takes me some time to trust someone enough to confide in and I really hate being viewed and examined by someone new. I hate my body and hate that anyone, even doctors, are looking at me! One of the reasons I didn't want to go to the city hospital was because I never knew who I was going to see. Apparently, that is how it is done everywhere now. Medicine for me has gotten way less personal and far too business like.

I definitely will not stay over-night. My insurance seems to be opposite of yours. If I am scheduled as an outpatient and if they keep me overnight for observation, it is still considered outpatient, but then I would get slammed with bills! I have that in writing from my insurance company. My PS said it was an outpatient procedure. I won't see my BS until the day of the surgery and probably won't see him much then either.

Why do you need to see your BS every 6 months? My PS will be seeing me often until I have the implant/tissue expander exchange. After I heal from that, I think I will be done seeing him unless it breaks or something. After this surgery is over and I have my implant in, I don't ever want to see another doctor associated with breast cancer ever again! I will not take an AI, so no need to see an Oncologist. I want to be done with all things breast cancer for the rest of my life! Honestly, I doubt I will live another 20 years, maybe not even 15, so my philosophy is much different than a younger person's.

As for driving, I forget what it all feels like. It has been almost 20 years since I had nodes removed. If I have pain, I won't drive, but I don't like others going with me to appointments, so I try to avoid it at all cost. I will just have to wait and see how I am doing. I don't plan on taking any narcotics either, but that could change too.

Sep 22, 2022 10:45PM serendipity09 wrote:

I understand! The medical system is not what it used to be...about the medical needs of a patient. It's all about the money now.

I don't even care who's looking at my body anymore. I've lost all sense of dignity at this point (that is, medical professionals lol.)

My BS does a check up on me just to make sure everything is ok. I'll see her in 6 months and 6 months after that and I believe I'm done, or not. Now I don't know because of the recurrence.

Obviously I'll keep seeing the PS for post-op then I'll continue with her for stage 2 before the end of the year. Hopefully that will be it with regards to surgeries.

I don't like anyone coming to any of my appointments with me either. I'm glad I started driving yesterday, my son was the one taking me and I'm sure he would've preferred not to have had to sit around waiting me.

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 23, 2022 10:12PM ericjo wrote:

i am seeing my surgeon in 2 weeks my oncologist recommended lumpectomy but I am not sure then chemo I don’t know if I can do all that

Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy Radiation Therapy Left breast

Sep 23, 2022 10:37PM serendipity09 wrote:

Ericjo- I'm sorry you have found yourself here. Once you and the doctor and surgeon have a plan set in place you will feel better. The reality is is that none of this is easy, but it is certainly doable. All of us have been where you are right now and it feels awful emotionally. You can do this and we will be here for you.

Sep 24, 2022 09:07PM mavericksmom wrote:

I am so confused about why out patients would be kept over night? I was told by my insurance rep NOT to let them do that! I can’t think about what is going to be done to me, only that I MUST go home before it gets dark! My husband can’t drive after dark. As if work stress wasn’t enough, this is stressing me out to the point where I think my head will explode

Sep 24, 2022 09:41PM spookiesmom wrote:

When I had bmx, surgery started about 8am. Took a few hours. I slept off the drugs, and was kept overnight for observation. To make sure all systems were ok, I could walk, talk, pee, eat and keep it down. I called DH about 8-9 am next day to come get me. That was considered out patient and was billed accordingly. Much less than the $600 per day my insurance would have charged.

My gf just had a defilabrator put in. She also spent the night, and was considered out patient.

I’d check with your insurance again about that.

Page 6 of 8 (78 results)

Scroll to top button