Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

September surgery scheduled and need to chat?

fivetimes
fivetimes Member Posts: 51

hi all!

I’m scheduled for DXM on Thursday and would love to talk about what’s happening!

Is anyone scheduled for surgery in September?

Thanks

Mary

Comments

• ltd06
    ltd06 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2022

Hi everyone,

I am having surgery on Tuesday Sept 6. Having a double mastectomy with expanders most likely. Have IDC with multiple masses in right breast. Getting a bit nervous. Any recommendations or suggestions for post surgery recovery would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Katie

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

hi Katie

So sorry you’re going thru this! I’ll be sending you lots of healing wishes!! Good luck tomorrow. Is your surgery scheduled early in the day?
    Hope you get some rest today!

Maryann

• currane1021
    currane1021 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2022

having surgery on September.22. Wish it was sooner . Had to cancel August 22 surgery because I got covid

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 100
    edited September 2022

I am having a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction on September 16; then facing a biopsy for possible thyroid cancer in October. Trying to focus on one hurdle at a time but it's really hard.

Good luck to everyone and wishing you all safe and successful surgeries!

• windwalker27
    windwalker27 Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2022

I went through a unilateral mastectomy (should have done both breasts) in August. The recovery was pretty uneventful. I recommend this product from Amazon (if you are not given anything in your hospital):

drain holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098XB54QX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2022

Single mastectomy last year. BMX with TEs placed this year.

Try to accomplish anything you feel you need to do before surgery. The healing phase is like watching paint dry. I wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks. I could not walk my dogs on leash. No deodorant wearing for two weeks (ugh). I was not permitted to lift my arms above a 90 degree angle for four weeks. No lifting above 5 pounds for two weeks. Taking a shower with the drains is a challenge. Get clips to hang the drains while trying to maneuver in the shower. The facility gave me two Elizabeth Pink Surgical Bras and a Velcro belt to help with the drain management (LOVE). Zipper front bras and open front shirts help a lot. Make plans to rest and limit activities other than what your doctor advises for exercise. I walked daily starting a few hours after surgery (lots of miles). If you have children have someone stay with you to help manage their care to allow you time to heal.

Hope this helps. Wishing you guysa successful and speedy recovery.

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

hi Katie

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!! I’ll be thinking of you and wishing you the very best outcome. there were a lot of helpful suggestions posted in response and I think they’ll definitely help!

Let us know how you’re doing when you’re feeling up to it. Until then sending you lots of positive thoughts!!

You got this

Maryann

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

maggiehopley - wow that’s a lot to be facing but you’re right - one thing at a time!! Best wishes on your Sept 16 surgery! I be hoping for a quick recovery for you so you can move on to the thyroid treatment. Best wishes!!!

Currane1021 - that is frustrating to have surgery postponed after this stressful waiting. Hope the Covid wasn’t to hard on you. Wishing you a successful surgery on the 22nd!!!Thanks for responding - it helps knowing I’m not alone in the wait :). Good luck!!

Thanks to everyone else for sharing the helpful information to prepare for surgery and post surgery suggestions!! It’s really comforting to hear about other peoples experiences and knowing there is so much support here!!!

thanks so much to everyone <3

I’m definitely feeling a lot of anxiety about Thursday and this site helps!

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2022

before you buy accessories check with educator/team to see what they’ll provide.

Mine provided compression bras, drain holders, even small pillows (great to protect from seatbelts

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

notascalmasilook - I LOVE your screen name and ME too!!! LOL

That’s a great suggestion! Thank yo

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited September 2022

I am currently recovering from surgery on August 25th and just wanted to send my best wishes to all of you with upcoming surgeries. My hope is that things go smoothly for you all

• shizle7
    shizle7 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2022

Hi all. I also had surgery in August-BMX w/expanders.

I just dropped in to tell you ladies-you got this! I was a nervous wreck before surgery, but you’ll get through this because you are strong!

Please feel free to message me with any post-recovery suggestions or questions.

Best wishes and hugs!

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

serendipity- I’ve been following your post surgery updates and I hope everything is going well!! thanks for keeping us updated- it helps to know what to expect after surgery. There is so much fear of the unknown right now.
    best wishes!

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

shizle ohhh I’m glad I’m not the only one!! Some days I’m just a babbling wreck but thankfully the wait is almost over!!

How is your recovery going? Is it about what you expected ?

Thanks for the offer to answers questions and your support!!

Stay well

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

Hi Maryann - it's been a rough week, but not due to pain The antibiotic I'm taking and the heparin injections make me very nauseous, even with food. I take them until Thursday, my two week mark. I'm also very uncomfortable. I can't sit for very long so I end up back in bed, but I get up and walk around often. My bed reclines top/bottom so I'm not really laying down all the time. I'll have my last three drains removed tomorrow and I'm praying that will help a bit.

Another tip for you, the sooner you able to get out of the hospital bed the better. I do get impatient as I want to just dive back into life, but that will have to wait. Do not do overdo anything, you'll feel like you can, but the fatigue sets in quickly. Please let others help you. You've got this and I'm here for any questions or even if you, or anyone else, just wants to vent/talk.

Oh, Miralax and /Senna softeners will be your friends lol. Take them! :)

Please come back and let us know how things are going when you feel up to it.

Ladies, you've all got this.

Going to post cross this message to the August thread.

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

I forgot to mention how convenient it is to have a drain holder belt and/or pajamas/robe with drain pockets. they truly make the drains easier to deal with, especially at night. I bought my stuff on Etsy and they arrived within two days of ordering. The robe that I bought was so cute that I wore it when I left the hospital and received compliments on my cute "dress." The pajamas are very comfy and I will continue to use both after the drains are out.

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

serendipity- I am so sorry to hear that you’re still having that much nausea :( I hope it really starts to ease up. There isn’t much worse than your stomach feeling sick all day.
    You’re smart to get up and move around when you can!! You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers and happy that you will be off those meds soon!! So glad you’re drains will be out tomorrow that should make you much more comfortable 🙏🤞🏻

Those adjustable beds are a life safer after surgery! I got one about 4 years ago and would never go back to regular bed.

I was doing pretty good with the wait until this week and now I’m just a wreck. I can’t relax at all so Thursday can’t get here fast enough!!

And you must know my kids😂 they’re already yelling at me about not overdoing it after surgery. They know I’m the worst patient I want to be back to my normal energy level and strength way too fast. But thanks for the reminder !

Last and most important YES! softeners and prune juice!!

You’re advice from your experience is really helpful and thank you so much for taking the time to share it <3

Rest & recuperate

Maryann

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

Maryann - the closer I'd get to surgery the more anxious I'd become. Tomorrow you will go to sleep and wake up in a blink of an eye and it will be over and you'll be on the road to recovery.

What time is surgery at?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending nothing but the warmest thoughts and positive vibes.

<3<3<3

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

thanks so much serendipity for understanding!!!

I just went to the hospital for a Covid test and boy did that make it Real😬 I don’t know my schedule for tomorrow yet but I’m hoping it’s early.

How are you feeling today? Is the nausea any better? I hope! You’re an amazing strong woman!!

It really is true you don’t know what others are going thru unless you’ve been thru it yourself. this site and the wonderful people on it , sadly, know what it’s like and I’m so grateful for the warm support!

I’ll be thinking of you ser and hoping you are feeling better soon!!

Hugs and healing

Maryann

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

finally got my surgery time for tomorrow- 5:45 AM!!!

I didn’t know anybody was awake that early! So no sitting around worrying all day 😂

Best wishes to everyone !

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

Maryann - still nauseous. The PS said that the antibiotics are very strong. I only have tonight's and tomorrow morning's dose left. I'm eating in the morning when I take it. Odd, in the evening all I eat is applesauce with it and I'm good. You'd think eating a piece of toast with an egg would help absorb it, but the applesauce works better.

Last three drains removed…wooohooo.

Still no driving and only able to walkto the end of my driveway and back.

I figured your surgery would be early. Do you get to stay the night? I hope so, it helps a lot.

My best to you! You've got this!

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

awwwww yay🎉 so glad those drains are gone!!!

Yeah I would’ve gone with the eggs and toast myself but I’m so glad you found something that actually helps. now I’m gonna run out and buy applesauce!! lol

I guess the best news is they have you on such a strong antibiotic that it’s taken care of whatever they were concerned about. Just so sorry that it’s made you this nauseous.

And when do you think you can drive?? I’ve been curious about that

The doc said I will be in the hospital at least one night depending on what she finds when she gets in there. fingers crossed it’s only one night.they start the blue dye at 7 o’clock then go from there.

Hope you get lots of rest tonight and enjoy your applesauce😊 feel better!!

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

Maryann - Just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are in my thoughts and that I hope your are doing good and healing well!

The antibiotics are given to everyone after a large surgery like this to help prevent any infections, I believe you too are on it now for two weeks.

I feel like I can drive now, but I see the PS on the 19th, I'm sure she'll give me the ok to do so then. Prefer to err on the side of caution.

Please let us know how you're doing when you are feeling ok to do so!

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

Hi serendipity wow it sounds like you’ve made a lot of progress since the last time we talked !! that’s great to hear and how exciting that you might be driving soon! that’s a big goal !!

I have to tell you my surgery went so smoothly and so quickly I was home 24 hours after I got into surgery. I am so pleasantly shocked at how quickly I am feeling better! So I have a total of four tubes and one on each side is draining almost nothing so I’m hoping those two will be pulled early this coming week.
    I’m not on any pain meds I am doing Tylenol which generally doesn’t do anything for me but it is taken care of the little bit of discomfort that I have And I’m not on antibiotics! they gave those to me intravenously when I was in the hospital and that was it. So I’m home in my comfy pajamas and in my own comfy chair and I can’t be happier! I am just so grateful that it went that quickly.

You got this friends!!! Best wishes for healing

I'm cancer free and I’ll be playing with my little grandsons before you know it!!
    life is good🥰😊

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

That's great that you are feeling good and cancer free! I hope that your recovery continues to go well. Hopefully they'll pull those drains out at your post op. I don't know if there is a rule of thumb for how many they can pull at a time. My PS would not pull more than one from each side/site at a time, but I hope you get them all out.

I went for a short walk yesterday and it was manageable, I was a bit fatigued, but that's to be expected. I'll go for another short walk this afternoon.

Wishing you continued healing a speedy recovery.

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

hi serendipity I just reread my last last comment to you and holy cow was I still under the influence of anesthesia!!

So now that is gone and reality has started. I’m still really happy that the surgery went so quickly and smoothly and I am happy that the cancer is gone…. but the bandages came off and I’m seeing the results of that surgery.

Definitely much different than what I imagined. I never thought I’d consider reconstruction but it looks like I will be looking into that now.

So not quite as happy as my last post. Really upset at what I’m looking at.
    like I said a little more reality and I won’t be done with this as quickly as I had thought.

But this definitely gives me more insight into what you’re going through!!! I hope you’re doing well today I hope the nausea is completely gone by now! let me know what’s happening with you.

I’ll be thinking of all of our friends on the site no matter what stage they’re in and hoping for their healing!!

Warm hugs and well wishes 💕

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

Hi Maryann! That's hard, but at least you know that there are options for you and it gives you time to research the different reconstructions. Did the surgeon discuss the aesthetic component when you decided which surgery you were going to do? Will you do PT?

I know how you feel though. I realize it's still early on and there's still quite a bit of healing that has to happen, but I can already tell that my abdomen is not what I thought it was going to be. Maybe I'll change my tune in about a month. I finally took a good look at everything yesterday (it always takes me a few weeks.) As I looked I began to cry and recalled hearing my PS saying at my last appointment "remember, this was to get everything in place and make sure there are no issues, we still have the revision(s)." She knows me well enough to know that even though I don't need or want to look perfect, I need to be ok with what I see in the mirror. I loved my body before cancer. I wasn't by any means perfect, but I was happy with what I had. Now all I see are the scars and the change that this beast has caused me. I'm scared that I won't love myself like that anymore. Again, I know it's so fresh right now, but it's made me sad. The thought of another surgery is mentally draining.

Nausea is gone, thank goodness. I don't have much of an appetite, but force myself to eat as I can see that I'm losing weight and that is not what I want.

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

my doctor did try to bring up several times the option of reconstruction and I was just determined that I wasn’t going to need it.
    I really didn’t want to go through extra surgeries. But now that I see what I’m working with I am more open to talking with her about it again.

And I did some research on Johns Hopkins website where they’re doing a new minimally invasive revision where they do a little fat grafting Liposuction and implants thru microscopic surgery. The breast center that I’m going to also does the same procedures.

So that’s what I’m gonna talk to my doctor about. see if that’s a possibility six months from now or even a year from now. It’ll give me a goal it’ll give me a feeling like there is the opportunity to improve the look of this. Just to not feel like this is how I will look forever.
    And if that doesn’t work out then I’ll just have to learn to live with the reminders of the battle and be grateful that I don’t have cancer

Maryann

• serendipity09
    edited September 2022

That's the important thing...being grateful that we don't have cancer. It's the end goal and we've made it. <3

• fivetimes
    edited September 2022

Yes