Topic: January 2023 Surgery Buddies?

Forum: Surgery - Before, During, and After — Surgical options and helpful tips for recovery and side effects.

Posted on: Dec 14, 2022 04:55PM

Posted on: Dec 14, 2022 04:55PM

momgoose wrote:

Hi! My double mastectomy is scheduled for January 4th, 2023. Anyone else have a surgery scheduled in January? Maybe we can support each other!

Christina

Page 8 of 9 (85 results)

Jan 23, 2023 12:06PM kadril22 wrote:

pjc5399, you’re correct in that people don’t know what to say, and I do try to be gracious. I am gracious most of the time but sometimes fail.

We’ve been using Silvadene cream for the past week. I had a follow-up this morning with my PS, and our efforts have failed. My skin is dead on both breasts. They are working now to schedule surgery to repair with a latissimus dorsi flap. It is two weeks today that I had my bi-mx.

Surgery 1/9/2023 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Dx DCIS/Paget's, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx Paget's, Right

Jan 23, 2023 06:25PM meow13 wrote:

What a horrible experience, so sorry.

Jan 23, 2023 06:58PM momgoose wrote:

kadril22,

I really don't know what to say except that I am sorry you are now dealing with this on top of cancer. It's completely not fair and you have every right to feel all the emotions I'm sure you're feeling. I will keep you and your surgeons in my prayers that they are able to fix this issue and that you can make a (relatively-speaking) quick recovery. There is so much that we don't know about until we are in the middle of the situation, it seems.

Christina

Jan 23, 2023 08:18PM cecy1616 wrote:

Hello,

How are you healing? I had my DMx January 12th 2023 and now after 12 days I’m feeling a lot better :)

I’ve been able to take quick body showers & My husband washed my hair today for 1st time since 😷

Feeling a lot better ..

Surgery 1/12/2023 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap

Jan 23, 2023 09:37PM moderators wrote:

Welcome, cecy1616! We're so glad to hear you're turning a corner and starting to feel better - it's a slow and steady race! We hope you continue to heal and feel better each day!

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Jan 24, 2023 08:27AM specialk wrote:

kadril - just wanted to post after reading your story - I had BMX and developed bi-lateral necrosis not long after - a combination of very thin skin, a very thorough bi-lateral mastectomy, and thin pectoral muscles (I had sub-pec expanders placed at the time of surgery) and this was a perfect storm of conditions to inhibit vascularity in the remaining skin. I did require surgery to excise the necrosis, and eventually lost the left expander as I needed to move on to chemo. Seven months later I had the expander replaced, and my PS was very conservative with fills - so that took extra time but we finally got there. What I came to say is that I was finally able to successfully reconstruct without needing to go to a flap. I am not a candidate for LD flap due to extensive skin cancer on my back, and don't have enough anywhere else for DIEP. I am sending you positive vibes and hope my story offers you some hope. Ask your doc about low volume fat grafting to improve skin vascularity and also about the aid of hyperbaric chamber for wound healing as that may help. Make sure you are eating enough protein, 100g a day, and consider some supplementing with zinc, vitamins A & C, and bromelaine to assist with healing too. Good luck and I know how hard this is.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Jan 24, 2023 11:47AM kadril22 wrote:

My surgery to remove necrotic skin and do LDF is tomorrow at 3:00

specialk - thank you for the information. I've read your story and recommendations in other threads as I was researching necrosis and Silvadene cream. In fact, I've been following several of your recommendations--the 100g of protein, the supplements (hubby added all of those to the anti-cancer smoothie he fixes me every morning). Had we seen any sign of improvement and gotten good news yesterday from the PS, I was going to inquire about the hyperbaric chamber. Thank you for sharing so freely your information. Even though we didn't achieve what we wanted, it really helped me mentally this past week to be doing proactive things to encourage healing.

Surgery 1/9/2023 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Dx DCIS/Paget's, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx Paget's, Right

Jan 24, 2023 01:38PM specialk wrote:

kadril - I am sorry that you did not have enough improvement to do the wait and see, but, if possible, regard tomorrow's surgery as moving in the right direction. Maybe not the original direction, but the one that will offer the best solution now. I am glad that anything I said in other threads, or this one, offered you something to grab on to - I fully understand the need for that. I will also say that I somehow was able - after some time - to separate the reconstruction process and the inherent struggles for me as an individual, from the cancer part. I am not sure how I did that as it wasn't necessarily a conscious effort, but that did make it easier, and its own thing. Yay for your DH making you the awesome smoothie, that is sweet! If you ever need to PM me, don't hesitate!

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Jan 25, 2023 06:46AM pjc5399 wrote:

kadrill22 - I hope your surgery goes well and this puts you on the road to healing. Big hugs.

So…me….Dr. called yesterday and my pathology was all good. Nothing else was found on the other concerning spots they wanted to biopsy, no invasions/microinvasions, good margins and lymph nodes were clear. So, no more treatment other than dealing with this reconstruction process. One large weight lifted. I’m draining 30cc or less per 24 hrs on each drain but it’s still red and thick on the cancer side and red and thin on the other side. I hope some come out on Friday am but also don’t want them gone if they are needed. I am so bruised. Some are turning that lovely yellow color which is good. Another bruise appeared this am above the breast (or the expander) in an area that had been super swollen. I am generally a peach so not surprising…just interesting. Really no pain and since I got all the GI issues under control, I feel great. So thankful for that. I have to be very cognizant not to do things I’m not supposed to do and rest. Feel a bit like a science experiment, though. I’ve shown all my friends photos. LOL. Last night I felt like I had an itch on the side of my right breast. It’s completely numb so nothing to itch and I just had to wait for the feeling to go away. So odd. I had read a lot about what to expect but nothing truly prepares you for this experience.

Dx DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 25, 2023 05:06PM momgoose wrote:

Kadril22 - thinking of you today and hoping that your revision surgery goes well and that you recover quickly and uneventfully!

Pjc5399 - great news on the good pathology report! I had less bruising than I expected and I am as pale as you can get! But I completely relate to the science experiment feeling. I really dislike how I can feel and somewhat see the expanders through my skin. It's just not right!

Christina

Page 8 of 9 (85 results)

Scroll to top button