We are 172,073 members in 80 forums discussing 133,445 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests → Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, problems, etc. here.

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, problems, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests — Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes.

Posted on: May 10, 2012 10:07AM - edited Nov 15, 2013 09:07PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello All,

A member suggested that we try to consolidate all glitches, errors, specific complaints in one spot (great idea!!). Please feel free to express your frustrations, dissatisfaction, etc. in any of the other threads, but leave this one strictly for listing your glitches/main concerns as it relates to the new format.

It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. This will really help our staff and tech team! And, this way we could post what we've fixed, all in one place.

UPDATE 11/15/13; Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft’s Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they’re using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E” as some people refer to it. Those using Apple’s OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren’t the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple’s OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 70 (2,094 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (2,094 total)

May 10, 2012 10:13AM petjunkie wrote:

Thanks Moderators. This isn't really about the new design, but the new design prompted it-- I wonder if maybe the forum topics could be re-thought and/or re-organized. I posted in another thread about how collapsing a group of topics isn't super helpful because you lose all of them, when maybe you want to see just one or two in a category. But overall, I think the sheer number of forums is excessive and this new design makes the scrolling quite long.

I wonder if there might be a way for BC.org to take a look at forums that aren't posted in much, or ones that have just a thread or two posted in and the rest non-active, and then consider if any of those could be consolidated or something? This might not be possible as I know some people lobbied hard for their own individual forums. And if people really need those, perhaps we should all scroll away to make sure they have what they need. But if they aren't being used, it's just an idea to check into other options.

Dx 10/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Dx 10/2009, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 10, 2012 10:18AM Moderators wrote:

We'll discuss tomorrow! Thanks!

May 10, 2012 10:22AM sheila888 wrote:

Moderators.....I have one request if you could only make that empty gray format on the left to disappear.....so we can a have a full page....instead of 2/3 of the page

Thank You

Sheila

Sheila♥ Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/21/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/14/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Surgery

May 10, 2012 10:22AM Slainte wrote:

The only problem I have noticed is IPad specific. In the old format I could enlarge the posts on my screen which made it easy to read especially during chemo as my eye sight was bad. For some reason in this new format I can't enlarge the screen of the posts to read them more easily.

Thanks,
Christine

Dx 8/17/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 10, 2012 10:23AM Cindyl wrote:

"My favorite topics" number is 1 high.  If there are no new topics it's 1.  If there are 2 new favorites it's 3...

Both IE and Firefox.

Stay calm, have courage and watch for signs. Dx 2/11/2012, IDC, 3cm, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/1/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 4/16/2012 Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2012

May 10, 2012 10:27AM karen1956 wrote:

I don't know if this qualifies as a glitch...but the new screen colors are HARD on the eyes!!!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

May 10, 2012 10:27AM otter wrote:

I hope we don't have to re-post glitches here that we've already mentioned on the other thread... do we?

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:30AM Moderators wrote:

No, we're starting NOW Wink We just can't keep re-visiting so many threads all day and night. We have everything documented up until now --- otter, your issues for sure. And thank you for the screen shots! Very helpful.

Suggestions to screen color? Everyone, be as specific as possible. Thanks so much!

May 10, 2012 10:32AM - edited May 10, 2012 10:35AM by susan_02143

1. The navigation tabs down the left side should be active even if you are already there. For example: You load Active Topics and leave your computer for 15 minutes. Hit Active Topics again, and there is no response. You need to know that command-R refreshes the page.

2. The current css over-rides specific html native behaviors which make it difficult to know if you have read a specific thread [i.e. cared enough to read it. not a NEW thing.] If you have followed a link, the color of that text should be different than links you have not followed.

3. Still on the css issue-- you can no longer use command-+ to make the text larger on a computer, not can you do the "swish" motion on an iPad to make it smaller or larger. Let the native HTML do what it does well.

4. When you are on page 1 of each forum, add the "description" at the top. Very often people will end up in a forum and be confused about the purpose of that forum.

5. I concur with petjunkie. The shear number of forums has really gotten WAY too big. The list is simply too long for this design.

6. Reconsider the vertical space usage. Using the Active Topic page as an example, the amount of vertical space [and font size] of the thread title is far too great, while the next two lines seem squished and uncomfortable. The presentation seems backwards as well. It is hard to discern how many unread posts, vs how many view; who started the thread vs who was the last responder.

7. Any developer should have graceful fallback css for non-supported browsers. This should be implemented so that people with older machines are not stuck staring at stark white. Since you know how many people are accessing the site via mobile device, you should also know which browsers and platforms are being used. This information should make it possible to have an alternate css file.

8. I would reconsider having all treatments in the signatures. The amount of space required to show 10-12 lines of treatment fails any basic cost analysis. If everyone does this, each screen will only show 3 posts. Public doesn't have to mean at the end of every single post.

Okay.... that is what I have right now.

*susan* 

edited to add: I like the colors. I am getting a taupe sidebar and a tan body. My navigation tabs are a rich blue, and the banner is a pink/purple mix. I am getting the "jump to forum." This is true on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome on a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8. 

... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Five years NED on Faslodex * 4/2015 progression to bone * 6/11/2015 Femara/Ibrance * 12/27/2015 Xeloda * 2/24/2016 Xgeva Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:37AM ruthbru wrote:

It is not easy to scan. With the old format I could quickly scroll through & pop in if I saw a friend had posted or there was a topic I know something about and could add to the conversation. Now it is very cumbersome to get through (I am trying to do it right now and am getting a headache). I think it will limit the help and companionship we have always found here. People will be more apt to just stick with their 'favorites'.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:37AM Moderators wrote:

p.s. we may not respond to each of your posts, but please know that we are recording all your helpful suggestions, and will be working on these first thing tomorrow morning (though Mod Judith is around this evening if you have questions Wink).

With appreciation,

All the Mods 

May 10, 2012 10:45AM LovesChristmas-Barb wrote:

My favorite topics keeps saying I have 4 new ones when I don't have any new ones. Not horrible or anything but something's not quite right! Wink
Dx 5/2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/16/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/27/2011 Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

May 10, 2012 10:54AM - edited May 10, 2012 10:57AM by jancie

I am on IE.

1.  At normal view (100%) - I can see the text from one side of the screen to the other but the left side with the menu is not there.  The font is great at 100% - I would say it is a 12 pitch.  My screen is off white - still too bright as it is taking up the entire screen.   I have to constantly switched screens to get to the menu tabs.

2.  At reduced view (75%) - I can see the entire screen with the menu (left side) in view.  However, now the pitch is at a #8 - I can hardly read it even wearing my prescription glasses.

The screen on my PC isn't so bright white as yesterday but still it is way too light.  May I suggest a very light blue color for the background?  If I could change that on my end I would do it.

I don't like the fact that when you have read the posts - it doesn't not indicate so by changing colors on the topic lines.

I can only see 4 topics at one time - way too much scrolling - really - seriously - this is a huge issue!    I can't stay on top of the active topics where I normally support those who are newly diagnosed.  Takes too long to scroll through the active topics.

It would seriously help if you put the menu topics at the top running horizontally instead of vertically on the LH side.  This would allow us to have a full screen view of the posts yet be able to click to another area in the menu staying on the same screen.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:54AM voraciousreader wrote:

I concur with coolbreeze that the active forums table format is missing and is missed. Again, the fonts are different shapes, sizes and vary in color and boldness and THAT's what gives everyone bug eyes. And the background color diffuses the color of the letters and they don't look crisp. With large fonts that switch to smaller fonts then switch to bold or faint fonts, the eyes are being overworked.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 10, 2012 10:57AM Estel wrote:

regarding color ... before mentioning possible other colors ... it would be helpful in knowing if the large space is going to stay there.  Are we always going to have that large of space to the left?

It really is awkward in viewing, in reading and in typing to have that much space on the left.

BMX 2/2010 with immediate reconstruction. Exchanged with silicone implants 7/2010. Diagnosed with LE 9/2010 Dx 9/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 11:02AM Cindyl wrote:

If the menu is going to stay on the left, it could be narrower, and it if it could be "sticky" it would be less annoying.  By that, I mean it should not scroll off the page as you scroll down.  That way, rather than annoying empty space you'd have something that might be useful (Want to jump to "active topics" or "dashboard"? at least you don't have to scrooooool)

Stay calm, have courage and watch for signs. Dx 2/11/2012, IDC, 3cm, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/1/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 4/16/2012 Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2012

May 10, 2012 11:08AM Kate33 wrote:

I have the latest IPad and am able to enlarge the screen. Not sure if the model makes a difference. I noticed, though, the banner above where you post (that has Bold, Itallics, Spell Check, etc) has disappeared.

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake (@)(@) the real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

May 10, 2012 11:14AM Ruby- wrote:

I agree with #8 in Susan's post above.

Re font size, sorry, don't know how to take a screen shot, but to give you an idea of the small size, if I copy & paste in Word (don't know if that is even relevant, just trying to help..), it comes out at 7.5, earlier I saw 5.5.  At the same time, the font size in the reply post is quite big enough for me, could be smaller.  I tried getting the arrows to expand the box, but they don't show.  Using the zoom tool does not increase font size.

I really like the shades and tones I'm getting Wink Thank you for all your hard work

Oh, I'm using google chrome.  Just heard about Firefox, but don't know if that is a good option right now with the problems mentioned. 

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 11:30AM Blessings2011 wrote:

Sometimes, if I want to post something long, I prefer to type it up in a Microsoft Word document, then copy and paste into the Reply box. (Have lost too many posts by accidentally hitting the wrong button...)

But when I do that, the formatting here is completely off!

Any way to make that easier for us?

Takes longer to hit the backspace, space, and enter key than it does to write the original post!

Thanks....

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/22/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara (letrozole)

May 10, 2012 11:52AM chrissyb wrote:

I just thought of the 'back to the Top' tab at the bottom of the page is not working. 

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. (Sugar Glitter Cheeks) Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 11:56AM Moderators wrote:

Blessings, this goes back before the boards changed, and I've experienced it as well. Microsoft Word has lots of invisible formatting, which can make for some funky results when it's pasted into a discussion board. If you've written something in a Word document, try copy/pasting it into a no-formatting application like a blank email document, WordPad or TextEdit, and paste it from there into the forum. It's faster than it sounds, and is more likely to arrive without odd formatting.

May 10, 2012 12:04PM jancie wrote:

I thought we were going to get an upgrade to where it would be easy to insert an image and not have to transfer one from photobucket, etc.  An application where we could access it from our hard drive at home like you would inserting a picture into a normal email.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:06PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Thanks! I'll definitely try that!!!

(Yeah, I know it was an issue before the boards changed, but thought I'd take advantage of this thread...Wink )

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/22/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara (letrozole)

May 10, 2012 12:24PM o2bhealthy wrote:

I struggle with the change to 'favorites' - I don't like that the thread name is not prominent and I cannot see how many new posts per thread.  Also it shows I have 21 NEW on the Favorites link but when I open it there are no new posts. 

I have been trying to delete some of the older favorites but it is very time consuming and the page has to refresh after each change...not fun when I have over 60 favorites saved over the last three years.

I also miss that when you look up a keyword or member you do not get a brief glimpse at the body of the text without having to open specific link.

IE

Thank you!

Michelle ~ DCIS and IDC - Thyroid Cancer dx 10-27-10, partial thyroidectomy 11-23-10 Dx 5/15/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 7/19/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/19/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/12/2009 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2009

May 10, 2012 12:25PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

Suggestion #1  header needs to have larger font, expecially the Forum identification.  I didn't know I was posting on Stage IV. 

Suggestion #2  Topic line text is way to big.

Graphics are really not good.  Good graphics help you find your way. 

Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 12:41PM SoCalLisa wrote:

I am having problems on my android tablet in the verticle position. I csnnot navigate between forums. The left hand choices only show in the horizontal mode.

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

May 10, 2012 03:08PM suzieq60 wrote:

1. Move the navigation stuff from the left back up to the top - more space

2. Show the log in fields on the page so we don't have to click login - finding it annoying.

3. Rename 'Dashboard' back to 'My Home'

4. Fix 'Back to Top' linky

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 03:24PM windlass wrote:

I am not on a mobile platform. I am on a small laptop.
I about fainted when I arrived today. And not in a good way.

What I used to be able to take in at a glance now takes endless scrolling to see, and all of the important visual distinctions (color, lines, spacing, divisions, headings, etc.) that helped me find things on a page are all gone.

My favorite topics used to be easy to scan at a glance, now I have to scroll and scroll. It's frustrating that I am shown more about WHO is posting than WHERE. I could care less who posted last. I care about which TOPICS have new content. (I'll worry about who posted it when I get there.)

And perhaps more crucially, especially for new people, the "All Topics" section is a complete write-off now. Utterly useless and unnavigable. I can't even tell what the forums are any more - and I have practically lived here for 16 months. If I can't find them (given that I actually have them memorized), it's hard to imagine anyone else can.

Oh, and this new color scheme and Hilton-lobby/high-end-plastic-surgery-office-waiting-room layout is as cold as a tomb. I can feel the wind whistling through these expensive, empty corridors and hear the crisp click of the matron's heels.

Please, please, moderators, it's not too late to return BCO back to its former usability. Please give us back our cheery living room and kitchen bar stools and back porch. The furniture may have been a bit scuffed, but they were our scuffs.

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." -Psalm 91 . . . . . . Completed: UniMX, DIEP reconstr; A/C x 4; TDM1 x 4; Taxotere+Herceptin x 4, 33 Rads; TDM1 Phase II Trial x 9; Tamoxifen, prayer. Brain Mets 2015. Dx 1/18/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 12/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2012 03:29PM windlass wrote:

p.s. I just realized that after posting the post above, my eyes hurt now. I am squinting and blinking, and I've been on here less than an hour. I can't imagine having to do that during active chemo, when my eyes were so sensitive I could barely read.

This color scheme may work for a brief page view, but I bet if you had an ergonomics expert evaluate it for "heavy use" you'd find it's not optimal.

*cough*

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." -Psalm 91 . . . . . . Completed: UniMX, DIEP reconstr; A/C x 4; TDM1 x 4; Taxotere+Herceptin x 4, 33 Rads; TDM1 Phase II Trial x 9; Tamoxifen, prayer. Brain Mets 2015. Dx 1/18/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 12/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2012 04:34PM Joy_ wrote:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned the space on the left can be removed by dragging the browser size smaller till it goes away.  I prefer the menu button at the top.  My print size is good now I've enlarged it, better than it's ever been and saving all that squinting I used to do for years with the old format.  I find the colours easy on the eyes but hope a choice can be added for those whose eyes hurt with the bright background.

My "Return To Top" buttons have all been working fine.

Love the new buttons to expand and contract the sections on All Topics.   This is like a treasure hunt as I find new options.  Thank you so much Mods and IT staff.  Smile  Laughing

PS I have Windows 7 and  the latest Firefox on my laptop.

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 70 (2,094 results)