Join Us

We are 217,552 members in 84 forums discussing 160,624 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, issues, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests —

Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes. Directly share constructive feedback at comments@breastcancer.org.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 09:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 11:22AM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is intended for members to post all technical glitches, errors, and problems with the site or forums. To directly share constructive feedback, you can email our team at comments@breastcancer.org.

When posting your issue, It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. If you can also post a screenshot, that would be helpful. Contact a Moderator if you need help taking or posting a screenshot. This will really help our staff and tech team!

Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft's Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they're using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E" as some people refer to it. Those using Apple's OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren't the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple's OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 2 of 84 (2,514 results)

Posts 31 - 60 (2,514 total)

May 10, 2012 03:40AM sam52 wrote:

OK, MODS - at home I am using Vista and IE7 .....terrible white blinding background.

JUst now at work, using Windows 7 and IE9.......much better beige/buff background.

Still the annoying big space on the left.

dx Oct 2001 IDC 1.6cm, stage II, grade 3, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 04:07AM - edited May 10, 2012 04:17AM by Moderators

Thanks for your specific reports of what's not right for you (and what is right too!). This will give the team detailed info to get their tech teeth into.

sam52, have you tried resizing the window you're using, to make it narrower. As Joy describes, on some browsers, if the window gets narrower, the navigation bars move to the top of the page (accessed from the Menu button) and the blank space goes away.

Your Mods

May 10, 2012 04:16AM luv_gardening wrote:

It would save a few clicks for each view if, next to the "Back to Top" button, there were buttons to take you to "Next Favourite Thread" or "Last Favourite Thread", or maybe Next and Last could go to the next or last thread from whatever section you came from, say a Forum, Active Topics or Favourites.  This would speed things up considerably.

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 04:25AM CoolBreeze wrote:

The italics doesn't work.

I'm trying this sentence in italics. 

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 10, 2012 04:26AM CoolBreeze wrote:

Us resizing browsers and rearranging our pageview is NOT a gppd technical solution to a problem. This should look good on all browsers, regardless and has to be done on the back end. 

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

May 10, 2012 04:27AM - edited May 10, 2012 04:28AM by Moderators

Hmm...I don't think I've used Italics yet, so trying it too.

Thanks! Adding italics to the long list.

May 10, 2012 05:09AM suzieq60 wrote:

The back to top thingy seems to work now, but it definitely didn't before. Did you guys test this before you released it?

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 05:10AM suzieq60 wrote:

The Active topics page is totally awful - bring back the table format!!!

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 06:13AM sam52 wrote:

The biggest bug-bear for me, apart from the blinding white pages on Vista/IE8, is that I cannot scroll easily on Active Topics to find a post I want to read.

On the old format, each post I had visited previously was a different colour from the others - easy to identify. Now I have to scroll past eons of posts, all the same colour and try and read the thread name (I'm used to SCANNING rapidly) to find one I want to read.As there are so many and there are fewer of them per page, it is impossible to scroll quickly without it really hurting my eyes. I really DO have a sicky headache from all this.Ack.

dx Oct 2001 IDC 1.6cm, stage II, grade 3, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 06:13AM Marple wrote:

Jump to bottom works.

Back to top does not work.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 06:37AM jo1955 wrote:

When I sign in, it shows I have one unread message on my favorites but when I click on it, a new message is not showing up.  I can not remember how many threads I was following and am wondering if they are not all showing up. If they are not, how do I get them up?

Jo - Lump, no chemo, 25 rads + 5 boosts, Tamox X5 years . cancerr free since Aug 30th, 2010. April 2014 - Latissimus Dorsi Flap Reconstruction. July 13, 2013 - Hysterectomy due to multiple uterine issues while on Tamoxifen.

May 10, 2012 06:48AM - edited May 10, 2012 06:48AM by purple32

I am on IE.

The large light gray margin ( 25% of the screen?) is troublesome.  The color here is just too bright white and font size too small.

I am sure you will work the bugs out of some of the other things as time goes on, but it seems to me just being able to comfortably see/read the posts would be first priorty IMHO.

Thx!

LE on left from 5.12.12.LX DX 3/2012 IDC <1 cm stage 1 GR 1 ( 0/2 nodes) ER PR pos HER2- Dx 3/2012, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 5/1/2012 Lumpectomy: Left

May 10, 2012 07:00AM Belinda44 wrote:

Hi Mods,

Thanks for all your hard work!  One thing I liked about the old board was that Dr. Weiss' "Think Pink, Go Green" columns were easily accessible from here.  The topic would show up on the side and you could just click and go to it.  Now, I imagine, I'll have to leave the "discussion" part of the boards to go find it.  If it can be accessd from here, that would be great.  Thanks.

May 10, 2012 07:51AM ruthbru wrote:

'Back to the Top' is not working for me this morning.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 08:07AM Stanzie wrote:

I use firefox and a mac. I still don't understand how you drag something to lost the negative space, I don't know what to grab to drag?

Mods - you said you can post from word pad I think it was - can you also post from word perfect and if so how do you unformat? Sorry not that technical on computers. 

I haven't tried it as I'm running out the door, but curious one thing that always drove me nuts about the old site was in typing a post you couldn't go back to refer to another page without losing the post. Wondering if this is possible now. I'd try it but don't want to lose this one.... That was huge to me so if that is possible that would be lovely. 

Also like someone else said - I could post pictures but it always took a very long frustrating time. hope that is easier. I'll try later on today but that also was a frustration with othersite. I know it didn't like firefox so I'd have to use IE. Thanks

May 10, 2012 08:08AM LuvRVing wrote:

Still unable to update my avatar.  Getting this message in a single line pink bar across the page:

is not included in the list

Win7 netbook with IE9.

I also think my new message counter is off by one.

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another! Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 08:16AM lago wrote:

Pictures just to let you know the reason I assume BCO doesn't let you just upload pictures is pictures take up a lot of space on a server compared to text. If BCO had to host all our pictures they would need to purchase a bigger server (more money).

I also assume, since all the content we post is "theirs" according to the rules they don't want to deal with the legal issues of pictures on this public site. Lets face it many of us post images that aren't really ours to use. Granted I don't think Amazon minds when I post a picture of a product sold on their site and then link to it but it is their image.

So I wouldn't expect the picture posting issue to change.

DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 08:43AM wallycat wrote:

I also dislike this very much....

I have 1/3 of a blank computer screen because this format forces the conversation part off to the

right 2/3s.

I agree, the newest conversations on each board were easier to distinguish. It all looks like a software

malfunction. Maybe because I am using firefox ??? or whomever wrote this software thinks it looks neater but in reality, it wastes valuable space and time (to hunt each area).

My vote is the old one.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

May 10, 2012 09:34AM - edited May 10, 2012 09:40AM by thenewme

As pointed out before, the problem with the new format is the basic design, not mere "glitches." 

Here's a summary that may help clarify... notice that this new format violates nearly all the principles listed:

www.sylvantech.com/~talin/proj... 

ETA - Why is my link above broken?  It only accepts half the url?

ETA2 - I realize that you (mods/developers) are overwhelmed with the negative feedback here, but honestly - do you not see that all the "glitches" you're fixing do nothing more than restoring things back to the functional way they were before?   Why not cut the losses and go back to it instead of trying to put lipstick on the pig, as they say?   There are lots of successful existing forums  out there.  If you want to completely re-do BCO, then at least base it on a successful model instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Dx 11/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:33AM dlb823 wrote:

After viewing all new entries for My Favorite Topics, I'm always still at 4.  I can't figure out what I'm missing to clear those 4.    

As mentioned on other threads, the glare of the background color is still an issue for me, although it seems a bit better this a.m.  Not sure if it's been slightly tweeked again or if it's just the difference between looking at it at midnight and 8:00 a.m...    Deanna

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

May 10, 2012 10:34AM leggo wrote:

I know this was brought up a few months ago. When you logged in, you remained logged in until you physically logged out. Just "X-ing" out of the forum didn't log you out. I never had that problem at the time....but I do now. Not a big deal really. Just have to get used to hitting the log out button when I leave. Is anyone else having this issue?  Might present a problem for those checking up on somebody...they'll show up as currently logged in, but they're not. Again, not a big deal mods, just mentioning it in case it is a new glitch.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

May 10, 2012 10:35AM - edited May 10, 2012 10:40AM by otter

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am seeing two different versions of this new Board layout, depending on which browser I use. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X v. 10.4.11.

The version I see with Safari (v. 3.0.4) has the gray column in the lefthand 1/3 of the page, with the blue nav bars and the drop-down menu.  I am assuming that's what we're supposed to be seeing. I like it, even though about 1/3 of the page is "wasted" at the left side. I figure BCO will eventually insert ads and other stuff into that space.  Note: if I re-size that page by tugging on the corner, I cannot make the gray column disappear or make the nav bars convert to a "Menu" button.  The whole page just gets smaller until I reach the size limit.

OTOH, the version of the layout I see with Firefox (v. 3.0.19) is a full-page text version.  There is no gray column at the left, and there are no nav bars or drop-down menu.  Instead, I see a square, blue button at the top right of the page that's labeled "Menu". If I click on that button, I see links similar to the blue nav bars in the Safari version, but the function of the "Menu" button is not intuitive. People will use trial-and-error if they get frustrated enough, but there ought to be better labeling of functional things. I am assuming this full-page, menu-button version of the layout is the back-up version you've created for those of us whose browsers can't handle the real version. Note: no matter how I re-size the page or change my "zoom" setting, I cannot convert this page to the format with gray column and nav bars, when I'm in Firefox.

I can't check all this with IE because that browser is no longer functional on this laptop.

otter

ETA:  This sentence should be in bold-face print.  This sentence should be italicized. They are formatted correctly in the Compose window, but italics didn't work last night -- the text reverts to standard font once submitted.  We'll see if things are okay now (10:39 a.m. CDT).  [The italics formatting still doesn't stick once the post is submitted.]

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:35AM Moderators wrote:

Just made a chart with all the comments. Sent to our tech team, and we are working through the list. 

We'll keep posting any changes that we make!

May 10, 2012 10:48AM Ruby- wrote:

I am trying everything to increase font size, i.e. went into Internet properties then Accessiblity, deselected "ignore font styles specified on web pages"

Nothing works Frown 

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 10:56AM - edited May 10, 2012 11:03AM by SusansGarden

This Post was deleted by SusansGarden.
"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

May 10, 2012 11:02AM otter wrote:

Suggestions:

Links that have been "visited" should change to a different color from those we haven't visited. Isn't that a formatting standard? The color change was one of the cues I used to locate familiar forums and threads at a glance. It would be especially helpful now that we're facing a list-type layout as opposed to the previous tables (which I preferred). The change in font color should stick whether we've logged off or not; we should be able to set the duration with our browser preferences.  This function is missing in both Firefox and Safari on my MacBook Pro.

In Firefox, I am seeing two boxes flagging each "New" thread in a forum.  There's one red box to the left of the title of each thread with a new post, and another red box to the left of the time stamp of the most recent post to each of those threads.  Why the double-labeling? Shouldn't one flag be enough to tell us which threads have new posts?

In Safari, I see no red "New" boxes at all.  There is nothing flagging the threads that have new posts.

I took screen shots to illustrate all this, but I'm not going to bother to post them because I lose the resolution when I bring them here from Photobucket.

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 11:07AM - edited May 10, 2012 11:47AM by dlb823

For the record, my background color (iMac, Safari) is a sickly gray with a very slight greenish hue (think old hospital or other institutional room paint).  It's both gloomy and glaring the same time, and literally makes my eyes jump around after just a few minutes of sitting in front of it.

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

May 10, 2012 11:09AM River_Rat wrote:

I went out and tried to run errands yesterday after being on this site and had to turn around and go home.  My eyes were toast.  I don't know if it's font-size, the font itself or contrast but it's seriously wreaking havoc with my eyes.  There are standards for accessibility that if used would improve the site.  I don't like the empty space at the left but I could deal with that.  

My actual vision is pretty good but I do have astigmastism.  I think something is aggravating that as I also feel nauseous reading here.  I have repeatedly tried "Control +" to enlarge the font to help to mediate my eyestrain.  It works on every other website I've ever tried it on, but doesn't work here.  A robust Beta testing would have detected these problems, barring that being able to fall back to the old site while doing an after-the-fact Beta testing would be great.  Since that doesn't seem likely I'll have to stay away and just check in once in awhile until something changes.

I do appreciate that you were trying to improve the site, just disappointed the the lack of testing and the way it was rolled out.

I'm on a Mac running OX 10.5.8, viewing on Safari 5.0.6.

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

May 10, 2012 11:09AM Ruby- wrote:

Thanks Susan, having same problem as Stanzie, tried your very detailed instructions above, but they don't work for me, i.e. no matter what, the grey areas to the left and to the right remain, the page does not fill up.  Will download Firefox and see if it does it.  Anything to get a readable font size !!

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 11:10AM SusansGarden wrote:

Attempting to post the "how to" get rid of the empty space on the left. Not sure if the concept is the same on the mac, Stanzie

Also.. these are the colors I am seeing. I like them. 

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 2 of 84 (2,514 results)