We are 194,806 members in 81 forums discussing 144,032 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests → Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, problems, etc. here.

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, problems, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests — Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 10:07PM - edited Nov 15, 2013 08:07AM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello All,

A member suggested that we try to consolidate all glitches, errors, specific complaints in one spot (great idea!!). Please feel free to express your frustrations, dissatisfaction, etc. in any of the other threads, but leave this one strictly for listing your glitches/main concerns as it relates to the new format.

It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. This will really help our staff and tech team! And, this way we could post what we've fixed, all in one place.

UPDATE 11/15/13; Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft’s Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they’re using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E” as some people refer to it. Those using Apple’s OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren’t the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple’s OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 3 of 75 (2,231 results)

Posts 61 - 90 (2,231 total)

May 10, 2012 12:12PM rosemary-b wrote:

I get a security warning on Nook. That is not new but if you ae catering to mobile users you might want to look into it.

I wish you could fix the eye strain problem. This has become on of my online homes but I can not stay long without eye strain and then a headache. Is it the color combo?

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 12:18PM - edited May 10, 2012 12:20PM by Kicks

When I try to go to My Profile - goes to a page that says:

"Security Warning

There are problems with the security certificate for this site.

X. This certificate is not from a trusted authority."

Yesterday, it would go to the Articles without the Warning coming up until I tried to go to My Diagnosis, My Treatments or Settings. Today, it comes up immediately when I click on My Profile. I use a 'droid (LG Ally) through Google.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2009 AC Surgery 10/20/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/10/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/3/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2012 12:22PM Kate33 wrote:

Mods- If nothing else can we just go back to the old color scheme?  Not sure why this is giving so many of us issues but it is.  Like River Rat, I feel nauseous after I've been on here for awhile and my head hurts.  It's quite strange.   

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake. (@)(@) The real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

May 10, 2012 12:29PM thenewme wrote:

www.browsershots.org

Developers, and not users, should be checking site compatibility for various browsers and devices.  Users shouldn't have to post screen shots, clear caches, resize windows, etc.    These are all very, very basic design interface issues that should have been considered, implemented, and troubleshot long before the site went live. 

Dx 11/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:37PM otter wrote:

I don't understand all the eyestrain so many users seem to be getting. My eyes are terrible -- I'm extremely nearsighted and have astigmatism in both eyes, and I have that pesky old-person problem that requires reading glasses or bifocal lenses.

Yet, I don't seem to be having any trouble with the colors or contrast with this new format. My background screen is a pale gray/beige color, with a few areas (this compose box, for instance) in a whiter color.  Except for those few areas, there is nothing bright-white on my screen, whether I'm viewing this page in Firefox or in Safari.  I find the neutral colors soothing -- not glaring, and not institutional.  I especially like the colors I see in my Safari version -- the one with the gray column and the blue nav bars. That's just me, though; I understand that this is a personal preference.

As a contrast, I have Facebook open in another Firefox window.  Talk about a white background! It's like looking at black print on a white sheet of paper.

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:56PM Megadotz wrote:

The new layout for forums and active messages seems to have both fans and detractors based largely on how unsers interact with information.  Would it possible to offer a "compact display" option for those of us who were "scanners" of these lists so that both groups could be satisfied?

Side question: is there an accessibility issue (section 508) with the table format that would cause  a problem for those who  use a screen reader due to vision issues?

Thanks,

Meg

Dx 3/12/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:57PM 1Athena1 wrote:

I'll say this until I'm blue in the face or it changes:

On "Active Topics" make the forum name BIG and the thread name small - OTHERWISE WE WILL WORSEN THE PROBLEM OF PEOPLE POSTING IN THE WRONG FORUMS AND SAYING WHAT MAY UNWITTINGLY BE INAPPROPRIATE THINGS.

This should be a simple fix.

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:58PM jancie wrote:

My background color is white - maybe it is the shade of white that is so hard on the eyes?

Light bulbs come in cool white and warm white. While you can't obviously tell a difference looking at them - it does make a difference as to what kind of light they throw and the warm white is easier on eye strain.

I can't stay here but for 5 minutes at a time as my eyes start really hurting - it starts with a burn then they tear up and then if I continue I get a headache.

Mods - the question has been asked - can we at least go back to the old color scheme?  That should be too difficult for the IT's to handle and it would make a huge difference for many of us.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 12:59PM CinD wrote:

I'm also having eye problems with the new site. 

Lt Lump then Lt MX + AND, OncotypeDX Score 11 Distant Rate 8%, TCx4, Tamox Dx 10/26/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 01:21PM Stanzie wrote:

Ugh, I still don't get the page thing. If I knew how to take a screen picture I would. I have the tabs and all but I don't have the arrows? Is that odd?

Interesting about the color not bothering your eyes otter. I'm near sighted as well and use magnifying glasses for close up and I have gotten terrible headaches from the colors... weird. River rat grey is a great description! LOL!

May 10, 2012 01:30PM Stanzie wrote:

I have two questions - somehow I can sometimes get to a page where I see my picture and my favorites and responces and then other times I can't get there.... where is this. I'm feeling like I sometimes just hit something and get lucky and find it. When I look for it I'm completely baffled on where it is. It used to be home page. If I go to dashboard I just get a list of topics. I'm confused.

Also what I keep finding confusing is it will have a RED box saying new but then gives the person's name not the Thread. So I keep clicking on the individual people and not the thread. Couldn't the thread title come first? 

May 10, 2012 01:49PM - edited May 10, 2012 02:00PM by 1Athena1

Janice- your colors are different from what many are seeing. It's been suggested that this could be due to the OS or browser people have. Let the mods know what you are using. More updated browsers/OS's fare better, apparently.

On a PC, with windows/IExplorer I see no white - let alone harsh white. I see soft, grey palates with blue. Have you tried using different browsers?

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 01:55PM otter wrote:

WooHoo!

My page layout in Firefox just converted to the proper version, with the gray column/drop-down menu/blue nav bars. Talk about fixing things on the fly!

Also, the red "New" boxes that were missing from threads with the latest posts on my layout in Safari have appeared.

OTOH, this compose box is suddenly wonky. There is no formatting menu across the top; the font looks like Times Roman instead of the sans serif font in the posted material; and when I hit carriage return, there's no longer a blank line inserted automatically. (Maybe that last one is a good thing.)

otter (gotta remember to hit "return" twice now)

May 10, 2012 01:59PM susan_02143 wrote:

Bravo!!!! Links that you have visited are now a different color.

*susan* 

anotherplan.blogspot.com... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Five years NED on Faslodex * 4/2015 progression to bone * 6/11/2015 Femara/Ibrance * 12/27/2015 Xeloda * 2/24/2016 Xgeva * another progression, another drug Taxol 2/14/2017 Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 02:06PM otter wrote:

Yep! I'm really liking the responsiveness to our alerts.

One thing, though... Susan's post right after my WooHoo post ended up putting this thread on my "Favorite Topics" list. I didn't mark this thread as a "Favorite Topic," and I haven't set anything to add threads to my list as I contribute to them. This is a new issue that just began a few minutes ago. (Maybe it will have stopped by the time I hit "Submit".)

otter

May 10, 2012 02:08PM nowheregirl wrote:

Mods, in regards to writing your post in a Word document beforehand and copying/pasting it in your actual post here, you don't need to paste it into a non-formatting application before you copy/paste it into your post. All you have to do is (if you prefer) write your post wherever you want and paste it into your post by clicking a small square-ish icon with a letter "T" on the top bar in your post field. It's the 7th icon from the left. It lets you paste everything in a plain text format without making it look funky.

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/8/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2006 Surgery 3/22/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/7/2006 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/21/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2012 02:12PM SusansGarden wrote:

Woot! Woot!

Italics is working. Laughing 

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

May 10, 2012 02:15PM sam52 wrote:

Hey....nowheregirl - is that you, Fumi?

Hugs x

dx Oct 2001 IDC 1.6cm, stage II, grade 3, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 02:17PM nowheregirl wrote:

Yep I am. No matter what name I use, you can still see my mini-zilla pic, right?

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/8/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2006 Surgery 3/22/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/7/2006 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/21/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 10, 2012 02:30PM JO-5 wrote:

Can not get rid of the wide light grey area to the left. I have Windows XP.

It's not the worst thing, but annoying.  In the great scheme of things I suppose it doesn't matter.

JO-5

Org dx 04 lumpectomy rads arimidex stage 1 grade 3 no nodes er+pr+her- 2014 rads induced angiosarcoma, wide excision 2015 angio recurrence, rt mast. Lat flap, 1/3 flap went necrotic, skin graft leg to chest Seeing dr every 3 to 6 months.

May 10, 2012 02:36PM - edited May 10, 2012 03:50PM by dlb823

My unread favorites red number has now jumped from 4 to 6.  This is after I've read everything showing as new.

UPDATE:  It's fixed!  YaY & thank you! 

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

May 10, 2012 02:39PM jeskachi wrote:

A person shouldn't have to resize their browser to get the navigation into a position where it's more usable. That's like asking people to squint so the color scheme is less aggravating.

Just sayin.

May 10, 2012 02:53PM jancie wrote:

Athena - not even sure what a browser is let alone what you mean by OS and how I would go about finding out what I have.  I am technically challenged!

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 02:53PM Moderators wrote:

Some things that have been worked on:

* Font resizing
* Favorite topic count and new badging
* Added forum subtitle on topic view -- also added it on the reply form
* Visited link color

* Italic text in post body 

More coming....  

May 10, 2012 02:58PM - edited May 10, 2012 03:20PM by suzieq60

This Post was deleted by suzieq60.
2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 03:24PM suzieq60 wrote:

Just noticed the links to BCO diagnosis, treatments and other useful things are gone from the top - now that was really useful.

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 03:32PM Moderators wrote:

Thanks nowheregirl. I was just writing that up! Need to add to our help section!

May 10, 2012 03:34PM Moderators wrote:

Unfortunately, the blank area to the left needs to be there for eventual banners/ads. We haven't launched them yet, but regrettably we need them ---- just like we had before. The area where we were typing before was not smaller. In fact, we did away with the banners on the right and on the bottom. None of us are thrilled about the space, but not sure how to change that.

May 10, 2012 03:37PM otter wrote:

(I feel like I'm on clean-up.)

The wonky Compose box has been fixed -- the formatting menu is back, and the font has changed to what it should be.

The "Start a New Topic" button at the top of two of the forum pages has red letters (red font) on a blue background. That color combination is almost illegible. Those same buttons on other forum pages (those that I checked, anyway) have white letters on a blue background.  Check for the red-on-blue colors on this forum ("Comments, Suggestions, ...") and the Clinical Trials & Research forum.

otter

May 10, 2012 03:40PM voraciousreader wrote:

Font on my iPhone much much much better. My eyes aren't revolting. Now about the table format??? So we don't have to do so much scrolling....

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Page 3 of 75 (2,231 results)