Join Us

We are 217,552 members in 84 forums discussing 160,624 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, issues, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests —

Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes. Directly share constructive feedback at comments@breastcancer.org.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 11:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 01:22PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is intended for members to post all technical glitches, errors, and problems with the site or forums. To directly share constructive feedback, you can email our team at comments@breastcancer.org.

When posting your issue, It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. If you can also post a screenshot, that would be helpful. Contact a Moderator if you need help taking or posting a screenshot. This will really help our staff and tech team!

Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft's Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they're using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E" as some people refer to it. Those using Apple's OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren't the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple's OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 4 of 84 (2,514 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (2,514 total)

May 10, 2012 05:30PM Chevyboy wrote:

I am working with AOL, and I'm not having any problems with ANYthing!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 10, 2012 05:37PM Chevyboy wrote:

Thank you SusansGarden!  It worked!  No grey border on the left.... full screen posts!  thanks for the tip! 

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 10, 2012 05:58PM truebff wrote:

Just want the old format back.

Dx 7/13/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 06:03PM SusansGarden wrote:

Yeah, Chevyboy. Smile  Glad it helped someone. 
"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

May 10, 2012 06:35PM suzieq60 wrote:

A thought on the format of the Active Topics list - I used to browse it from time to time to see if I could help someone - I won't be doing that now as you can't see as many topics at once. This is serious if other members are also put off, then newbies will miss out on help.

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 10, 2012 06:54PM - edited May 10, 2012 07:13PM by Ruby-

Thank you Mods and programmers and co ! Following your adjustments to the font issue, I've increased my zoom (which was not working on font) to 125% AND IT'S PERFECT !!!!!

ETA: and the smaller avatars are looking sooo much better Wink 

“The cell’s intracellular cytoplasmic sea is an ocean of symphonic motion awash with incomprehensible complexity.” Howes, M.D., Ph.D Dx 2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 07:01PM voraciousreader wrote:

Susieq... Yep.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 10, 2012 07:02PM truebff wrote:

I can't get rid of my extra left space on my MAC. Any help?

Dx 7/13/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 07:07PM - edited May 10, 2012 07:15PM by Lindissima

Progress!

I was able to (finally) enlarge the font on my MacPowerBook (Safari browser) which helps.

Mods:  I agree with the posters who say  it will be too difficult to scan the active topics list to look for items of interest (outside our normal forums) and/or to spot newbies who might need a response.

We need an active topics list that can be scanned easily for

1. the forum it belongs to (especially for Stage 4)

2. topic

3. poster

4. # of replies and/or views

Neither the active topics list nor the all topics list is easily scannable for this info, which was easily done under the old format.  I feel the new format requires very close  detail reading, which may be why some women are getting headaches and tired eyes.

In order to deal with all the different fonts, lay out etc of the All Topics Page, I have collapsed all the forums so I only see the posts of the ones I usually visit.  I feel cut off from the rest of the community, something I didn't feel before.

Moderators, thank you for trying so hard to address all the problems and taking a lot of grief. (But I still prefer the previous format!)

edited for spelling  and clarity

Dx 1/5/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 07:29PM gumshoe wrote:

Thanks, Mods, for all the hard work. Websites are very hard to redesign.

I've waited a few days to look around. I appreciate some of the improvements on the site but I'll chime in with some issues (some of them may have been posted, but I can't read them all):

- On the website (Chrome browser), the font used for the signature line (diagnosis) seems pixelated. The text isn't crisp. On Firefox it's a bit better. On my iPad (which I use the most), it's great. 

- There really is a lot of wasted space on the left. GUI design is part of my job so I know that how you use screen "real estate" is very important. Tabs are better at the top so you can use the entire browser efficiently. Pull down menus aren't great because, in effect, you hide the topics you used to be able to see at a glance in the table. For example, sometimes I'll sit at night and see right off the bat when someone has posted who is "not diagnosed but worried". If relevant, I can respond right away. I'm not sure I'll go out of my way looking for that thread all the time, however, unless it's front and center.

- Colors and fonts are subjective, but there isn't enough contrast between the tan background and the text.  

- iPad screen: A few people have mentioned they can't magnify the screen to increase the text size. That happened to me a few times but it seems okay now. 

Dx: 1/20/2012, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3; Tx: lumpectomy, re-excision, skin-/nipple-sparing mastectomy (right), tissue expander placed, tissue expander removed due to skin necrosis, graft taken from thigh to replace lost skin.

May 10, 2012 07:53PM Marple wrote:

Mods, are we too assume the Active Topics page is going to stay the same?

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 09:04PM - edited May 10, 2012 09:32PM by 1Athena1

Jancie - sorry - just saw this. OS = Operating system. As in Windows or whatever there is in Mac (lion or something).

Browser = Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome or Firefox

Had a crazy day - Mods - saw your post somewhere and your honesty cracked me up - about the ads. Talk about necessary evils...LOL. I hope there isn't much pink in them. I am LOVING seeing normal colors, as in my pre-cancer life. It used to be that one only saw pink in the film "Legally Blonde" or cartoons. Sigh! 

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2012 09:11PM Chevyboy wrote:

Oh Dang!  And I just love ads....Wink

May 10, 2012 09:42PM CLC wrote:

Mods...please consider making the forum much more prominent.  It is really the only real issue I have with the new format (other than glitches).  I need it to scream to me....CAUTION YOU ARE ABOUT TO POST ON THE __________FORUM  (particularly needed for the stage IV forum).  PLEASE!  And thank you for all of your hard work here...  I still love bco, even with growing pains...  Claire

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. ~Maori Proverb Surgery 10/29/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2011, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 10/7/2011 Mastectomy: Left

May 11, 2012 12:51AM chrissyb wrote:

Hi Mods, sorry but the 'back to the top' is still not working for me.  I use Explorer.

Just a question.  In the old format in My Favourites new posts were put at the top of the page.  I have noticed that does not happen now, only the red 'new' appears which means that you have to scroll through your whole file looking for new posts.  Is there anyway that the new post go to the top of the page? 

Another thing is the color, I have never had headaches from being in front of the computer and spent many hours on BCO reading and helping where I could but am finding now that after about an hour my eyes are aching and I have a headache so have to leave the site for some time.  I think that where te posts appear, the glare factor is the problem.  I think if you definitely wanted these particular colors, try reversing them and put the posts on the darker and the side margin as the lighter.  Just a suggestion.

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 01:07AM jancie wrote:

Athena - thanks for clarifying that for me.  So I am running Windows - Home Office 2010 and using IE.

My computer is less than a year old.  I got a new one because the old one was running so slow and so I am hesitant to download additional programs on this one such as Firefox as I don't want anything to slow down my computer.

I couldn't get totally rid of AOL on my other computer and so when I would boot it I would have so many programs running at the same time.  My favorite program was weatherbug but I won't install this on my new computer either.

I still have the glaring white on the background.  I can't see the tabs such as "active topics, favorite topics, etc. when I am running at 100% view so in order to see them on the same page I have to go down to 75% view and the type is so small on 75% but it eliminates so many key strokes keeping it at 75%.  I wouldn't mind so much if the white wasn't so darn bright and I could have a light blue or light gray background in the threads and in the reply area.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 01:13AM fitzdc wrote:

1.When I enter a non-new topic (one I have read or posted on) I find myself on page 1 - each time.

2. The colors of the topics that I have read and those I have not are rather hard to distinguish  as both are a redish color.

3. Like many others have mentioned, it is a challenge to find new posts to which to respond as well as the forum confusion issue.  Also, I have found myself in the 'wrong' place a few times.

Teresa Original diagnosis on 9/27 of DCIS - Stage 0 grade 3; UMX on 12/1 Surgery 11/30/2011 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Dx 12/11/2011, IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2012 Surgery 6/12/2012 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/12/2012 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

May 11, 2012 03:03AM luv_gardening wrote:

Often, after reading a topic I would return to the top and click on the forum name to see what else is new in that forum.  Now the forum is no longer clickable so I have to go to ALL FORUMS then try to find that forum among many which is time consuming and frustrating due to the many forums.  Could you please make the Forum name a live link again?

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 03:16AM - edited May 11, 2012 03:16AM by NWArtLady

Hi Mods,

I used to be able to see my past posts on my profile but no longer see them. Where can I find them? They are useful so I can check to see if anyone asked any more questions on a post I replied to.

Thanks!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... ~Dory

May 11, 2012 03:35AM luv_gardening wrote:

ArtLady, go to the dashboard and then scroll down...down...down.

May 11, 2012 05:14AM gerrib wrote:

I have tried to move the text to the middle as someone I think Susan described. Did she mean to minimise the browser screen? Then the font size is too small. Any possibility of giving a description of how to do this. Despite the clear instructions it didn't work for me. Using Chrome. I just want to get rid of the dead space on the LHS of the screen.

Thanks 

2 primary breast tumours -IDC at 62, 4 years later pleomorphic ILC in other breast. Occurred whilst taking tamoxifen Dx 12/22/2011, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/28/2016, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 3/16/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

May 11, 2012 07:15AM luv_gardening wrote:

Gerri, move your cursor to one of the corners of your browser window. The window shouldn't be maximised or it won't work.  Grab the corner and re-size the window till the empty panel disappears, then if you can, expand the print using CTRL+ or CTRL-.   It doesn't seem to work for some people though.

May 11, 2012 07:42AM voraciousreader wrote:

Are you going to return to a table format or are you going to make us continue scrolling ad nauseum?  Even the Dashboard is a pain in the butt with all the scrolling!  Could you please let us know???  We would like to see the active forums on one page...

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 11, 2012 07:47AM - edited May 11, 2012 08:31AM by Megadotz

Live link displays are being truncated in the new version

Previously if I put link in both the link and title portions of the box, the  portion that  shows on the page is truncated with a "..." at the end rather  than leaviing  the full reference.

For security reasons, many of us prefer to see the full  link.

Thanks. 

Edit:  This occurs both on Windows 7 IE v8 and Mac OS X with Safari 

Dx 3/12/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 08:15AM Marple wrote:

Back to Top still not working.  So off I go scrolling. 

May 11, 2012 08:19AM sewingnut wrote:

What happened to the people I had in my Favorites?

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 11, 2012 08:22AM Marple wrote:

Sewingnut~I'm not sure if this is what you mean but go to your Dashboard and SCROLL (LOL) down to friends.

May 11, 2012 08:22AM chrissyb wrote:

Just downloaded and installed Google Chrome so the 'Back to Top' link is now working.

I found my peace which gave me strength. 52 at dx. Dx 12/8/2003, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/12 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 08:28AM Megadotz wrote:

A suggestion for the dashboard-- adding some links at the top would help folks go directly to the section that they are seeking.

Thanks. 

Dx 3/12/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 08:29AM Marple wrote:

Thanks Chrissy.  Shouldn't this site work on it's own though, without us having to download anything?  And my Jump to Bottom works.  Funny the Back to Top doesn't.

With so few posts per page and all the scrolling I'm feeling rather detached from our community here.  The old format gave us a much better overall 'view' of things.

Page 4 of 84 (2,514 results)