Join Us

We are 217,553 members in 84 forums discussing 160,624 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, issues, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests —

Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes. Directly share constructive feedback at comments@breastcancer.org.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 10:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 12:22PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is intended for members to post all technical glitches, errors, and problems with the site or forums. To directly share constructive feedback, you can email our team at comments@breastcancer.org.

When posting your issue, It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. If you can also post a screenshot, that would be helpful. Contact a Moderator if you need help taking or posting a screenshot. This will really help our staff and tech team!

Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft's Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they're using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E" as some people refer to it. Those using Apple's OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren't the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple's OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 5 of 84 (2,514 results)

Posts 121 - 150 (2,514 total)

May 11, 2012 07:35AM sewingnut wrote:

Thanks Marple.  I liked it better when their avatars were there. Didnt quite understand that Dashboard thing.

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 11, 2012 08:34AM Stanzie wrote:

Is there any way to save what you are posting and be able to review back to previous pages before submitting. Before and now, if you change pages you lose your post. Perhaps it isn't possible but would be awfully nice. Thanks.

Also still confused about the negative space. I understand ads will be in place there but some seem to be able to lose that space and expand the page. I do not have the arrows at the top to be able to do this. I'm on a Macbook and it is Snow leopard 10.6 I belive and I use firefox. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 08:50AM ruthbru wrote:

On my home computer (which is older) I can go 'Back to Top', on my newer work computer, I can't.

Agreed that we shouldn't have to be loading anything, it should just 'work'!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 11, 2012 09:19AM Stanzie wrote:

I have something new... I just logged on and the computer sort of blinked and now I'm getting a small negative grey area on the right side as well as the left and the actual page is now smaller. Hmmm?

May 11, 2012 10:18AM otter wrote:

Is anyone else seeing two red boxes labeling each thread that contains a new post? I understand flagging threads having new posts -- I appreciate that. But, having those threads doubly-labeled confuses my eyes (and brain) as I'm scrolling.

There's one "New" box by the thread title, and another by the name of the person who posted most recently. Here's a screen shot... fuzzy, but it shows the boxes.

Or, is there something about this that I'm missing?

otter

P.S.:  Stanzie, I'm on a Mac running an old version of OS X, reading this with Firefox. I just discovered that I can re-size my page and make the gray column and blue nav bars disappear (or reappear). I couldn't do that before yesterday. Run your cursor down to the lower right-hand corner of your screen, and "grab" the point of the corner (see the diagonal cross-hatching on the corner?). Drag that corner to the left across your screen, and it should make the page narrower. As I do that, when I reach the halfway point, the gray column and blue nav bars go away. The print is smaller, but I can re-size it with CTRL+. 

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 11, 2012 10:24AM Stanzie wrote:

Thanks Otter, I tried it but it just makes the whole window smaller and control+ doesn't change anything...?

May 11, 2012 10:26AM Kate33 wrote:

I'm on a Mac, too, and the same thing happened to me.  It just gets smaller.

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake. (@)(@) The real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

May 11, 2012 10:33AM Moderators wrote:

Hi all, please keep any glitches coming. Again, we are receiving all of your input and forwarding them to the tech team to help fix things. Thanks again for all of your help and patience!

--The Mods

May 11, 2012 10:49AM iswimibikeirun wrote:

I was unable to post anything while using my Amazon Fire in the web browser.  It was really frustrating.

Dx 1/6/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/26/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

May 11, 2012 10:58AM windlass wrote:

Moderators: Perhaps you can help us understand your thinking. What are the advantages to this new site? Why did you change it? What were you trying to accomplish? Has it been successful? Is there somewhere you have listed all the benefits this new site was supposed to bring us, aside from better catering to mobile users?

For me, the downsides strongly outweigh the gains -- if there are any gains at all. I can't detect a single one. Every change I see is a deterioration rather than an improvement.

Because this new site is: (a) unnavigable, (b) gloomy, (c) painful to my eyes, (d) has lost all of its former friendly charm and welcoming qualities, I will likely be spending far less time here. That's a real shame, since this board has been my second home for over a year and helped me get through some really hard times.

Please listen to those of us who are telling you, in our sincerest voices, that this is not about "glitches" or technical issues. It's about the fundamental nature of the website, which has been utterly ruined. You can't fix this with window dressing, and you can't fix it with bug fixes. You need to either go back and start over with the redesisn, or better yet, give us back our old site - which was not broken.

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." -Psalm 91 . . . . . . Completed: UniMX, DIEP reconstr; A/C x 4; TDM1 x 4; Taxotere+Herceptin x 4, 33 Rads; TDM1 Phase II Trial x 9; Tamoxifen, prayer. Brain Mets 2015. Dx 1/18/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 12/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

May 11, 2012 11:10AM Marple wrote:

'LIKE' your post Windlass.  I feel that our main concerns have been put on 'Ignore'.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 11:38AM Moderators wrote:

Marple, that is not true. We are very much working on things. I guess we can just reiterate that we were trying to make the site more accessible to people who only use us on mobile devices. This is "responsive" design, made to work better on ALL devices. Many folks over the last year have reported that they need/want to access the boards as they go through the day -- including in doc's offices, hospitals, etc,  --- and couldn't do it on the old system. Now they can. We will continue to make it work for EVERYONE to the very best of our ability. We are not ignoring you.

May 11, 2012 11:47AM Moderators wrote:

Great point, Otter. Sending that to tech!

Screen shots are really helpful. Thanks.

May 11, 2012 11:55AM SusansGarden wrote:

Just wanted to comment that I never accessed BCO on my iphone because it wasn't easy to use on there.  Now it is much better.  Nice to have as an option.

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

May 11, 2012 11:57AM Marple wrote:

It is nice to have the option of uses but the fact remains that the Active Topics are very cumbersome to get through on a PC.

May 11, 2012 12:01PM Moderators wrote:

We are working on the active topics. Nothing can happen overnight. Thank you for your patience.

May 11, 2012 12:02PM Kate33 wrote:

If someone is on a Mac and the display colors are making them bonkers I found a way to adjust-

Go to-

System Preferences, Displays, Color, Calibrate and then click Continue until you come to the screen that says Target White Point.  Move the slider up a bit and the screen becomes a little less white so there is less contrast with the empty gray space on the left.  It seems to be a little easier on the eyes.

Kate33 "Yes, they're fake. (@)(@) The real ones tried to kill me." Dx 12/27/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes

May 11, 2012 12:50PM voraciousreader wrote:

I mostly use my mobile. Would love to be able to access a "desktop version" that includes a table format for active topics. I am scrolling up and down the wazooo.

Again, the only improvement that I can see is with the fonts. Since you made the change, my eyes are no longer revolting. IOS 5.11 Safari. iPhone.

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

May 11, 2012 01:07PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Mods:

Is there any thought regarding making "Dashboard" and "My Profile" coming together in the same place? I am repeating deliberately because you arr getting so many comments that it's understandable if you can't process everything you read at once.

Also, the Dashboard does indeed involve lots of scrolling - is it possible to create collapsible categories (s we have on the forum index) so that less scrolling is necessary?

I want to repeat something else :-) Yes, the experience of BCO on a mobile is definitely improved....

Jancie, that's really strange....My fairly ignoramous, non-expert advice:

--On your Windows IE browser, go to Internet tools, then internet options, then check the box under "browsing history" that says "Delete browsing history on exit."

Shut down your computer, wait about a minute, and then reboot.

Try that.

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 01:08PM 1Athena1 wrote:

In reference to what VR just said, would it be possible to add a "go to bottom" button, just as we have a "back to top" one?

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 01:36PM Marple wrote:

Thank you for responding Mods.

May 11, 2012 01:39PM jancie wrote:

Athena I tried that but it didn't work.  I have that automatically set.  Now I still have all of my cookies - should I delete those also?

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 01:42PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Yes, absolutely. Cookies and temp files. Go to system clean up on te start button to do that.

May 11, 2012 02:01PM jancie wrote:

Athena - deleted all temporary files, cookies, etc. and nothing has changed.  I deleted everything but passwords and form data.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 02:02PM sheila888 wrote:

1Athena1......There is a <jump to bottom> button right on the top of the header
Sheila♥ Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/21/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/13/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 11/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 02:06PM jancie wrote:

Athena - besides the darn bright white glaring in my eyes I am also very concerned that I have to view at 75% to see the entire screen which is making the font about a size 8 and that is also hard on my eyes. 

If I just want to see posts, threads, etc. I can go to 100% where the font is normal but then I lose all of my menu tabs, etc.

May 11, 2012 02:20PM - edited May 11, 2012 02:22PM by nowheregirl

Jancie, I think you said you were using Internet Explorer but what version? If you are not sure, click on "help" on the top menu and select "about Internet Explorer". If it's 9, then the "Compatibility View" feature might help. Most of styles on the new forum are defined in what's known as CSS and a lot of Internet Explorer 9 users complain that CSS is not properly working or totally disabled in their browsers. Even if yours is not 9 but 8, give this a try anyway.

Here's how you can turn this feature on:

1. Open whatever page of this forum in your Internet Explorer.

2. Click on "Tools" on the top menu.

3. Select "Compatibility View" and see if anything changes.

The "Compatibility View" feature lets you view the websites designed for older browsers properly in your Internet Explorer. If this works for you, then I will tell you how you can view this entire forum in the "Compatibility View" mode as default without having to do what's mentioned the above every time you come here.

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/8/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2006 Surgery 3/22/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/7/2006 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/21/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 11, 2012 02:39PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Jancie - What Timtam (nowheregirl) said.

May 11, 2012 02:41PM 1Athena1 wrote:

Thanks sheila!

May 11, 2012 02:47PM jancie wrote:

Nowwheregirl - running IE8.  Compatibility View doesn't change a thing.

Page 5 of 84 (2,514 results)