We are 213,240 members in 82 forums discussing 152,212 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, problems, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests — Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 04:07PM - edited Nov 15, 2013 03:07AM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello All,

A member suggested that we try to consolidate all glitches, errors, specific complaints in one spot (great idea!!). Please feel free to express your frustrations, dissatisfaction, etc. in any of the other threads, but leave this one strictly for listing your glitches/main concerns as it relates to the new format.

It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. This will really help our staff and tech team! And, this way we could post what we've fixed, all in one place.

UPDATE 11/15/13; Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft’s Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they’re using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E” as some people refer to it. Those using Apple’s OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren’t the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple’s OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 76 of 77 (2,293 results)

Posts 2251 - 2280 (2,293 total)

Aug 22, 2018 01:48PM ceanna wrote:

Any reason the "Last Seen" date has been added to each post by individuals? It was readily available on their profiles, if needed, and seems to add a lot of "clutter" to the threads.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Aug 22, 2018 04:03PM MinusTwo wrote:

I agree - needless clutter.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 23, 2018 06:44AM - edited Aug 23, 2018 06:45AM by Moderators

We added it as it seemed that many new members post to people who are not currently active on the boards, and await/expect a reply. As moderators, we try to then message those members to let them know. It just didn't seem self-evident to check their profiles first, and we thought this could help newbies with their expectations for replies. Maybe we could shorten it?!

Aug 23, 2018 07:15AM ceanna wrote:

The issue of people posting to an old thread probably has nothing to do with the "last seen" date, it has to do with the last date something was posted to a particular thread. I find it very odd seeing a "last seen" date for a deceased BCO member on an active thread.

On the other hand, the "last seen" date could easily be today's date, but the posting could be from year's ago if someone found an old thread. If this is the reason for adding the "last seen" date, it does not make much sense. Perhaps you could think about moving the posting date or make it clear when a new person tries to post to an old thread that they are posting to an old thread. Personally, I have no problem with people posting to an older thread--it is often a topic that hasn't come up lately, yet people need help with that topic. Seems like "don't fix what ain't broke" applies here.

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Aug 23, 2018 07:36AM - edited Aug 23, 2018 07:37AM by NancyHB

Is it possible to lock down older threads to new comments? (say >2 years with no new activity, perhaps?) They could still be viewed and read, but not revived (typically by brand-new members who haven't quite got the hang of the site just yet). It's always weird to see a 6-year-old thread revived with, “what we're your test results?" Or “how are you doing now?", especially if maybe that member is deceased.

ETA: 2 years is arbitrary, maybe 5 is better?

"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/5/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/12/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/15/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 3/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

Aug 23, 2018 08:34AM Moderators wrote:

Thanks Nancy -- yes, we're discussing this idea as well!

We appreciate your input!

Aug 23, 2018 03:20PM MinusTwo wrote:

Mods - we've had this discussion before about suspending or cutting off threads. If I remember correctly, most people were not in favor of stopping threads or banning new posts. It was a very vigorous discussion. I certainly hope you do NOT do this. I have memories back from 2008 and love to go back & find important posts by people who are no longer with us.

Most regular members will pop in and tell a new poster that a thread isn't very active and suggest other alternatives. I think we should let the members 'patrol' themselves.

Back to the dates - if you have to leave it there, can you to 8/23/18? Frankly I don't think new members will look at that any more than the date of the last post.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 23, 2018 05:39PM - edited Aug 23, 2018 05:41PM by ruthbru

There might be a very good reason that a thread started by a deceased member is still going. Our Book Lovers Club founder, konakat, would be thrilled that the thread she started is still active!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 23, 2018 06:29PM Sara536 wrote:

I’ve only been using my iPhone and Safari for BCO. I wish you could make the “report this post” button smaller and move it to the middle. Since I’m right handed, I hit that button several times a day accidentally when I’m scrolling. Hopefully, since it is at least a two-step process, I have been cancelling successfully.

Aug 24, 2018 05:25AM ceanna wrote:

I don't think you're going to change the way new people post to older threads no matter how you try to date posts or threads. The new people haven't yet experienced the threads and they are usually anxious about getting information and answers for their questions. I don't feel older threads should have an expiration date. I know some members seem to "facilitate" a particular thread, but I guess I've always looked at threads as topics/content and if someone finds an older, not current thread and posts to it, one of us may pick up on it and answer--it doesn't have to be the original poster. Does it matter, as long as the new person finds what they need? Please, just drop the "last seen" unnecessary addition to our threads and leave it on the profile.

Aug 24, 2018 06:48AM - edited Aug 24, 2018 06:49AM by Moderators

So, in summary:

We would only potentially "lock" threads that have had no activity for x (e.g. 3) years. We adore the threads (like Book Lovers Club) that continue to be active for years! That's what makes this community so wonderful.

As for "Last seen", would it make it better to get rid of it, or change it to "latest activity"? The site, PatientsLikeMe posts this with the member name. We could adjust to 8/24/18, probably to shorten it. We still think this could be helpful to some new members, but we're open to hearing everyone's feedback.

Sara536, do you mean "report this post" or "remove this post"

Aug 24, 2018 08:18AM JaBoo wrote:

please leave the Aug. 24, 2018... it's so much more informative! I admit, being European, I have to seriously think about each date here (up to 12th each month).

my humble proposal: Could the Forum name in each topic be a link??

This would help .... What I mean: Up here on this page, there's the "Topic: Post your....." in large letters. Bellow, there's "Forum: Comments,...." - this could function as a link to the given forum.

dx at 38 Dx 5/22/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 6/14/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/16/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 7/16/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 9/13/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Aug 24, 2018 09:59AM Moderators wrote:

JaBoo, the only thing is that we have the forum as a link directly above the topic title already, so could be too much?

Aug 24, 2018 10:04AM LoriCA wrote:

Agree about the date JaBoo. Having worked with many Europeans over the years I've even adopted the habit of writing 24 August 2018. I can see how using a strictly numerical format would be confusing for people around the globe when no one is sure if 8/3 means August 3 or March 8.

As for people replying to old posts, at least it means that they are using the Search function and posting in a relevant thread instead of multiple posts on the same topic, over and over. Granted here our health considerations mean that doesn't always work out best, but in most other forums everyone begs people to do exactly that instead of starting a new thread. Happy As ceanna pointed out, usually someone chimes in to either answer the question or point the person to a more appropriate thread.

IBC Stage IV de novo - presented in right breast, within days spread into left breast, skin, chest wall, metastasized into brachial plexus (lost complete use of right arm for several months), liver and throughout skeleton. Dx 9/8/2017, IBC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/26/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/6/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/6/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Aug 24, 2018 02:06PM MinusTwo wrote:

Please DO NOT lock threads. As Lori & Ceanna have both said - people search for what is relevant to them. Much of the information (like tips for chemo) does not change just because 3 years has gone by. When I was a 'newbie', I read several older threads all the way from beginning to end and learned a bunch of important things. I have a ton of threads in "my favorites" that aren't particularly active. But you can bet that I do respond whenever a new person jumps in. And I have seen several threads rejuvinate themselves as new posters take over.

Aug 24, 2018 03:07PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Recently A nowadult child of a long-deceased member posted recently on her mother's thread wanting to reach out to her mom's friends here. Couldn't have happened if the thread had been locked

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 24, 2018 03:38PM JaBoo wrote:

Moderators, you mean the link to breastcancer. org Community? Well for me, this isn't much of a help. To find a forum after clicking the link, I actually have to use the "find on this page" function. Being on my phone, the forums' list is endless. So I thought a direct link from a topic would be helpful.

dx at 38 Dx 5/22/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 6/14/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 6/19/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/16/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 7/16/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 9/13/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Aug 24, 2018 10:45PM Traveltext wrote:

Last year my group lost a long thread because the original poster cancelled her account. Could BCO institute a policy of flagging a thread proposed for closing? This way hundreds of posts won't just disappear overnight. Often the original poster hasn't contributed much and the content is from dozens of people who are suddenly left without their posts. Deleting an account should not even lead to the deletion of a thread IMO.

NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Aug 25, 2018 02:48AM - edited Aug 25, 2018 02:50AM by ruthbru

Before just deleting a valuable, and much frequented thread, started by someone who chooses to delete an account, perhaps active posters on the thread could be notified and one of them might be willing to claim at as theirs. Their name and a blurb about the thread could be substituted for the the original poster's.

There are several very active threads I'm on where MANY of us would be devastated if thread would one day just disappear (and the two I'm thinking of haven't seen input from their originator for years).

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 25, 2018 06:08AM Moderators wrote:

We know, it is terrible to lose a whole thread when someone insists that we delete their account. It is something we try to avoid at all costs, but sometimes people have been very demanding. This is a "must-change" indeed.

As for locking threads, we don't do it now, nor do we need to if folks don't think that is necessary. We'll take that off the list!

Now, back to "last seen":

should we change it to "latest activity" like PatientsLikeMe does, or get rid of it?

Aug 25, 2018 07:45AM Luckynumber47 wrote:

I really like that feature but probably not for the reason you expect. If someone's post stands out to me, either because they gave excellent advice or because they were struggling I often wonder how they're doing, if they're still coming back to BCO. Having the last seen info in the header saves me from having to go into their profile.

I believe the reason new members end up on old threads is because they don't realize there is an "active" feature and instead just start reading the forums that seem to apply to them the most. I know I did and didn't realizethat I was on an old thread. If there was some way to point that out in the intros to new members it might solve the issue.

My avatar is a Blue Footed Boobie. Cracked me up. Dx 2/15/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/16/2016, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 5/16/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 25, 2018 10:41AM MinusTwo wrote:

Mods - what about Ruth's idea that someone else can take over as "substitute" originator of a thread if the original creator chooses to bow out? So even if that person insists on leaving, and even if their posts are deleted, the longevity & the substance of the thread goes on. I think that's a great solution.

Aug 25, 2018 01:00PM Moderators wrote:

we really like that idea, and have offered that. We can easily change their name, and delete all else. But sometimes people are straight out insistent on us deleting all their records. But, YES, we agree whole-heartedly.

Aug 25, 2018 04:28PM Mominator wrote:

Moderators, 

Suggested option 1: Maybe a phone call or private message to suggest to a person, rather than leaving, that they take a step back from the boards. Maybe a small bunch of posts need to be deleted while they take a break, but the rest of their contributions could be left behind, explaining that their contributions are valuable and other members depend on the information contained in the threads. 

Suggested option 2: If they still insist on leaving, could you separate the user account from the created threads? Then deleting someone's account would be just their profile information. Maybe you could delete the user name, but leave behind the posts. The credit could go to "Deleted Member" or something similar, leaving the posts behind. If a person doesn't like their posts, they always have the option of deleting individual posts. Again, a small bunch of posts need to be deleted, but the rest of their contributions could be left behind as Deleted Member. 

For example, we lost a lot when B** asked to be deleted. Her "death bag" has been recreated, but many threads were lost. The Amen prayer thread, for example. (From my point of view, it looked like a misunderstanding, and only a small cluster of posts were bad. If those posts were removed, maybe it would have been resolved. There's probably more to the issue that what I saw.) 

Suggested option 3: Worst case, deleting an account would delete all their posts, but leave a blank/place holder as a post. Similar when we see "This post deleted by user" but there's still a space there. The thread still exists, with blank posts from the deleted member. 

If the deleted user/poster is an original poster in some threads, then the original post will be blank. You could offer one of the active users the opportunity to replace the original poster's post with some other head post describing the thread.  

I appreciate the balancing act of handling many thousands of users with many different opinions. I hope my ideas here do not suggest you are not doing a great job or minimizing the job you do. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how things or users work.

Best regards,

Madelyn / Mominator 

Mominator, BRCA2+, STK-11 VUS, wife, mom to 3 children of various special needs, musician, volunteer. My Mom dx DCIS age 62, ILC stage IIIA age 79; Mom just passed 2/28/18. My Grandmother died of ovarian cancer age 48. Friend to Lori M, died 5/25/16. Surgery 11/11/2015 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/18/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 6/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant

Aug 25, 2018 05:13PM ceanna wrote:

I agree with mominator for suggestion/option #3. No one should be allowed to delete other people's postings on a thread and if they feel they must delete their own posts, the thread needs to remain, even with the blank posts. I would be very disappointed to learn some of my posts suddenly disappeared permanently because someone deleted a thread I had posted to. I have long felt that no one "owns" any particular thread. Yes, they are many times facilitated by one of more people, but the threads are part of the BCO community and should not be deleted in total from a choice by one. Perhaps instead of someone taking over ownership, BCO could put in a generic statement at the opening post saying the original poster has left the community, but the topic continues to be of interest to all. Active members can take it from there in the discussion thread.

Glad to hear most do not want threads locked even after not being active recently. There are issues that pop up that still concern us even if the thread has not been active in some time. Perhaps there can be some sort of "flag" at the opening of an inactive thread that could suggest people start a new thread or still allow them to post to an old thread if that is their informed choice.

As to the Last Seen date: I was the one who brought this up a few days ago. Not sure, as several have pointed out, that it would make any difference for a new person posting to a topic of interest to them. The date of the last post is there and they don't see that! I can see the points a couple of people have made about its usefulness, so I guess I could live with it if BCO chooses to leave it or modify it.

To open up another old topic--somewhat related. Why doesn't BCO delete the 1000s of people/user names who signed up, were only on the boards that one day, and never, ever, posted anything, and never logged in again? In looking at only the first page of "Member List" many of the "members" have never had any activity other than signing up years ago--zero posts, zero activity. Time to clean up the lists!!!!

Aug 27, 2018 11:25AM - edited Aug 28, 2018 05:14AM by Moderators

These are all great suggestions, and inputs.

Mominator, yes, this is actually the route we begin with (#1). Some people leave because of privacy issues, and things that they have expressed, and want it all gone. But you bring up a number of ideas that we could try to implement!

ceanna, as for deleting member who haven't posted, this is a constant battle. We see that some people post after years of being a member. Or they leave, and then return year. And some sign up and end up just reading. Indeed though, agree that there are MANY members who have never posted!

We really appreciate your thoughtful suggestions and bringing them back to our tech team!

Aug 30, 2018 10:06AM Cowgirl13 wrote:

I am very much against locking older threads. The wisdom, knowledge and encouragement from members would be totally lost. Case in point, Beesie's threads in the DCIS threads. They are invaluable and no one on this board has the clarity and expertise on this sugbect. Or Special K. Or Melissa. The newcomers would lose the treasure trove that many of us have benefitted from for many years.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/16/2009 Chemotherapy 8/3/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 6, 2018 11:57PM - edited Sep 6, 2018 11:58PM by NancyHB

This Post was deleted by NancyHB.
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/5/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/12/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/15/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 3/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

Sep 7, 2018 05:06AM borogirl wrote:

I have posted pictures a couple of times but they show up HUGE and I tried everything I could think of to make them smaller so they are not so "in your face". Any tips?

Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 11/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement

Sep 7, 2018 07:14AM Moderators wrote:

Dear borogirl,

We are going to check with our tech team to figure out your question. The MOds

Page 76 of 77 (2,293 results)