Join Us

We are 217,480 members in 84 forums discussing 160,584 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, issues, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests —

Request new or improved features, report bugs, & view upcoming changes. Directly share constructive feedback at comments@breastcancer.org.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 10:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 12:22PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is intended for members to post all technical glitches, errors, and problems with the site or forums. To directly share constructive feedback, you can email our team at comments@breastcancer.org.

When posting your issue, It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. If you can also post a screenshot, that would be helpful. Contact a Moderator if you need help taking or posting a screenshot. This will really help our staff and tech team!

Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft's Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they're using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E" as some people refer to it. Those using Apple's OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren't the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple's OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 83 of 84 (2,514 results)

Posts 2461 - 2490 (2,514 total)

Jul 2, 2020 10:42PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

I use my iPad or smartphone, so this site has been annoying to visit. Since the mods are unable or unwilling to undo these changes, my workaround is to visit less and post even less often.

Mods, do you not use version control? Think of it as the best undo button. As a developer, I would never approve these changes go live or even be tested.

Please put back the links after the last post on the page. On my phone I end up using the back arrow to return to the Active Topics instead of expanding the drop-down menu.

Also, is the alternating row color change new? The dominant color is brighter than before which leads to more eyestrain for me. Alternating row colors is useful in wide spreadsheets with many columns, but not helpful here. I use enterprise software that makes this feature optional at the user level. Why? Because not everyone wants it.

Thanks for listening?

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Jul 2, 2020 11:14PM wrenn wrote:

I like the new look. Seems less cluttered. I find it easier to read now than when it was first changed.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 2, 2020 11:21PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

wrenn - What type of device do you use?

"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Jul 2, 2020 11:48PM wrenn wrote:

I use a macbook air or ipad mini. Both seem fine.

What has always bothered me is that I have to login too often. I like staying logged in to sites.

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 2, 2020 11:54PM kathindc wrote:

I'm on a MacBook pro and an iPad 3 mini. BCO has been slow on both since the changes.

Jul 2, 2020 11:55PM SerenitySTAT wrote:

I mainly use my phone. When I get to the end of the thread page, I used to just click the Topics link. Now it takes 3:clicks rather than 1 to get back to the list of topics.

Jul 3, 2020 12:00AM wrenn wrote:

I have never liked it on a phone and usually won't bother opening it if I am out.

I will pay attention to the speed. I hadn't noticed it being slower.

Jul 3, 2020 01:59AM MinusTwo wrote:

I use a desktop, and I have notice a number of "my favorites" are quite a bit slower to open.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 6, 2020 01:04PM ceanna wrote:

Site continues to be slow this morning. And, the logout icon is still not working!!! When can we expect repairs to what previously had worked until you made the dysfunctional changes. The bolding and blue of the navigational panel fonts did little to make it more readable or professional looking!

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jul 6, 2020 03:20PM Moderators wrote:

Dear members,

We are aware of these problems, especially the slow to load pages. We have alerted our tech team.

Thanks,

The Mods

Jul 8, 2020 05:45PM ceanna wrote:

Mods, things seem to load faster today, but still, after 3 more days, you can't fix the logout? Your "Sign In" link works, but not the icon/dropdown menu you want to use for logging out. How about a quick change back to a simple logout link? I've looked at your programming language for that element and see way too many scripts!! Just do a simple fix back to what you had before. I reported this problem weeks ago. This is terrible member service!!!!!!

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Multi-catheter Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jul 9, 2020 11:04AM kathindc wrote:

Silly question here, but shouldn’t someone on the tech team be monitoring this thread instead of the Mods who then forward the problems? Logic tells me that would be more efficient.

Jul 9, 2020 11:29AM Moderators wrote:

Ceanna,

As we stated in our PM to you, we are working on a fix. However, we need to know which browser version you're using. We can not replicate the issue in any updated browser versions.

Thank you!

Jul 9, 2020 11:39AM ceanna wrote:

Mods, you seem to have missed my private reply to you on July 2 in which I gave you all the details.

Jul 9, 2020 11:45AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Well despite the forum being shut down for hours in the middle of the day a day or so ago, the only fix appears to be page response time and nothing whatsoever to do with the killed functionality of tablet/phone pages. What percentage of users do you figure use tablets or phones for access, as opposed to desktops? I’m guessing a lot.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jul 9, 2020 11:54AM Moderators wrote:

Ceanna we did receive your reply, but you did not tell us which version of the browser you're using.

Jul 9, 2020 06:41PM ceanna wrote:

The latest version of each, which, of course, is old for Explorer, but as updated as Firefox sends out updates. Why did you wait a week to ask me and then do so publicly instead of in response to my private email when you first received it? Really???!!!

Jul 9, 2020 09:39PM MinusTwo wrote:

Interesting because I too am using the latest version of Firefox. However I am using it on a desk top so don't have the same problems.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 10, 2020 01:40PM JACK5IE wrote:

I don't understand all the anger in this thread. I can understand maybe being a little frustrated over certain glitches, but basically this is a free forum (unless you donate) to get some valuable information and share your thoughts with people that are going through the same thing as you. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or maybe being Stage 4 certain things don't anger me anymore.

Dx 7/2009, IDC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 7/31/2009 TAC Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2009 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/31/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/30/2010 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 6/30/2010 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2015 Femara (letrozole) Dx 12/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy External: Bone Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Jul 10, 2020 05:10PM Beesie wrote:

JACK5IE, there is a lot of history behind the reactions you are seeing. These are frustrations that have accumulated over many years due to concerns raised (and often not addressed) and changes to the board that have sometimes made the board more difficult to use/navigate or have infringed on our privacy (recognizing that this is a public board) or have just been tone-deaf in terms of what might upset breast cancer patients. There is also a long history of "make changes first, deal with the repercussions and walk back changes later".

To the last point, I'm glad to see the thread posted by the Mods about the suggested forum name changes, although I don't know that the feedback will help them reach any consensus decisions (except maybe leaving things as they are, in most cases).

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jul 11, 2020 12:02AM ceanna wrote:

Jack5ie, I apologize if what I've been posting comes across as angry. I'm not angry, but I agree with Beesie's post that our frustration level usually just rises when each change that has too often come along doesn't work and was not needed in the first place. For those of us who stick around to try to respond to newbies to pay it forward, we've seen this happen way too often over the years. I should have kept my last response to the mods less snarky even though I had provided them all the information they said they needed in an earlier PM without a response from them for a week until I said again here that it didn't work again and they responded they hadn't gotten that very information. I have since repeated that information to them in another private message.

When I first started coming to these BCO threads going on 6 years ago, there were about double the number of daily posts that you see now. There used to be about 6-7 pages of thread posting lists in the last 24 hours and now when I log in I seldom see more than 3-4 pages. Either fewer new people are finding BCO or fewer people keep coming back. I do believe BCO thinks it makes changes to attract more visits. but the opposite seems to be the result. As often as we have tried to say that to them and offer to help, they make unwanted or unneeded changes and the results have brought more frustration and more people not returning. To me that is not good--who are not served who come here looking for help and answers to their very personal questions? Perhaps that helps explain some of our frustration.

Jul 11, 2020 10:27PM Beesie wrote:

Ceanna, to your point, I remember a few years back when we were in another discussion about board changes, the point came up that BCO consistently had about 500 new posts a day. I just checked and these days it is more like 300 posts a day.

Unfortunately I think the discussion board has become unwieldy and unfocused. It's not easy for a newbie to find their way around. Recently I've suggested forums and threads to a several newly diagnosed members, to get them in touch with people with similar diagnoses. I often do that just in case they haven't yet found these forums or threads for themselves, and these days, it's almost inevitable that they haven't.

Another issue is that when you click on the discussion board and it first comes onto the screen, you no longer actually see any forums - instead you see messages from BCO. These messages at the top of the page started small a few years ago but now take up the entire screen, whether I'm on my PC or my iPad. I find that annoying, and I'm an old-timer who knows how to navigate the site and knows what's here. I'm sure not everyone who newly arrives scrolls down to find the forums listed; some people probably close the page and look elsewhere.

It's a shame to see the usefulness of the board decline, with fewer active members and substantially fewer posts.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jul 12, 2020 12:35PM - edited Jul 12, 2020 12:36PM by ruthbru

It would probably be smart for the tech team to recruit some volunteers who are totally unfamiliar with BCO (of all ages and technology skills...including those who are not tech savvy) to take a look at the site and give input. That way you could get an unbiased look at how easy or hard it is for newcomers to navigate and get a better sense of what is needed to make it more user friendly for them.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 20, 2020 03:32PM NinaCA wrote:

No glitches but I can't figure out how to edit my profile of treatment! I keep looking for the right button but just can't find it. I found buttons for other editing but not treatment. I wanted to add on since my original profile of treatment was done.

Thanks, NINA

Dx 2/1998, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIIA, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2003, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2015, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, ER+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jul 20, 2020 03:38PM - edited Jul 20, 2020 03:41PM by exbrnxgrl

NinaCA,

I am using my iPad, but here is what I do:

- click on the little “person" icon in the upper right corner (the same icon for logging in/out).

-click on My Profile

- click on tab that says My Diagnosis and then you can add or edit your particulars. Do the same with My Treatments

Exbrnxgrl(Your neighbor in San Jose!)

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 20, 2020 05:16PM ceanna wrote:

Icon for logging out still not working for me!!! Please put back a simple logout link and forego the multiple purpose "person" icon people can't identify. Weeks have gone by without repair.

Jul 23, 2020 10:08PM Mominator wrote:

I was working on a post yesterday and didn't finish. I finished the post today and hit submit. The site thought for a moment, and then took me to the log in page. I logged on, but my post was gone! I tried the back arrow, but that page was completely blank. I tried pasting, but there were only a few words in my last edit.

I worked 30-40 minutes on that post and I wanted to submit before I went to bed. All gone. An entire, helpful, thoughtful post just vanished.

Could a page request log in before we edit? Or at least save where we are when it randomly decides to log in?

Mominator, BRCA2+, STK-11 VUS. My Mom dx DCIS age 62, ILC stage IIIA age 79; Mom passed 2/28/18. My Grandmother died of ovarian cancer age 48. Friend to Lori M, passed 5/25/16. Surgery 11/11/2015 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/18/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 6/30/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant

Jul 24, 2020 03:51PM Moderators wrote:

Hi mominator,

We certainly understand your frustration with taking that amount of time and thought to put in to a post. Unfortunately, the system is designed to log out you out after a certain amount of time of being idle for your security -- essentially your log-in authentication fails, and it logs you out. When doing so, there is currently no automatic "save" of the work you may be in the midst of.

We will discuss however adding a similar function to help save drafts so that your invested thoughts don't just vanish.

--The Mods

Jul 25, 2020 11:33AM Beesie wrote:

Is it just me or have other people been having problems connecting to the site over the past 24 hours? I can sometimes get in (as now) but more often I've been getting an "insecure connection" message and the connection is not allowed through.

I did check one of those "Is this website down?" sites a couple of times yesterday and it came back saying that the site was down. But this morning it said that the site was up, yet I was still getting the "insecure connection" message.

Jul 25, 2020 12:20PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

beesie,

I had those problems yesterday, for a good chunk of the day. Even when I tried to override the security warning I kept getting a message that the server was not responding. I was able to access the site by evening and it’s fine this morning, so far!

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Page 83 of 84 (2,514 results)