Topic: Post your tech glitches, errors, issues, etc. here.

Forum: Comments, Suggestions, Feature Requests — Request new or improved features, report bugs, and view upcoming changes. Directly share constructive feedback at comments@breastcancer.org.

Posted on: May 9, 2012 10:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 12:22PM by moderators

Posted on: May 9, 2012 10:07PM - edited May 8, 2020 12:22PM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Hello all,

This thread is intended for members to post all technical glitches, errors, and problems with the site or forums. To directly share constructive feedback, you can email our team at comments@breastcancer.org.

When posting your issue, It would be helpful if you would state your browser/operating system, and when you share the error, please be as specific and concise as possible. If you can also post a screenshot, that would be helpful. Contact a Moderator if you need help taking or posting a screenshot. This will really help our staff and tech team!

Please read below to ensure your browser and system is compatible with Breastcancer.org:

Breastcancer.org is supported by the following browsers and systems:

Minimum Requirements:

- Chrome 26.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Firefox 20.0* (OS X, Windows),

- Safari 5 (OS X, Windows),

- Safari (iOS 5.0 version),

- Internet Explorer 8 and up,

- Android 4.0.1 and up.

*self-updating

To keep up with advancing software, support for older browsers is removed as new versions are released. Breastcancer.org suggests updating your system and / or browser as needed for the best online experience.

Resources for updates can be found at the following URLs:

Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Safari: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

Internet Explorer: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer.aspx

Additional help:

What is a web browser?

A web browser is a piece of software used to access the internet. The web browser goes out to grab data, brings it back to you and displays it on your monitor to let you interact with the website.

For users who are using the Microsoft's Windows operating system, the most likely web browser they're using is Internet Explorer, or “the blue E" as some people refer to it. Those using Apple's OS X, their default web browser is Safari.

Internet Explorer and Safari aren't the only web browser options you have. There is also Chrome and Firefox, both of which are free downloads.

What is an operating system?

Operating systems run your computer, laptop, tablet and phone. The operating system is the brain of your computer and is responsible for telling all the other pieces of your computer what to do. When you click on an icon to open up a program it tells your computer what has to happen to wake that application up so that you can use it.

The most common desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7, etc.), followed by Apple's OS X.

Yours, The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 86 of 440 (4,393 results)

Oct 7, 2013 10:15PM ruthbru wrote:

I am totally non-techie, so probably can't explain what is happening to me right (and won't understand any advice you give me unless it is in plain, simple English), but I have been trying to copy some information over from the web. When it is in 'preview' it looks fine, but when I submit it, I get all sorts of symbols (such as <font>), when I go to 'edit', it looks right again (so I can't even fix all the glop), and when I re-submit all the symbols show up again. I have tried copying from the webpage to here, I've copied the information to a word document and then here, and have also e-mailed my word document to myself, copied it over here. Any way I do it, the results are the same......CRYING AND MAD FACES..........

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 7, 2013 10:40PM moderators wrote:

ruthbru, it looks as though all that hidden formatting from the web document was transferred when you copied it into Word, and then shows up when it's published in the forums. All those symbols are instructions to the website to change the font, set a size and so on. Can you paste the original into TextEdit or WordPad - something that's just plain text?

Oct 7, 2013 11:19PM Musical wrote:

Ruthbru, when theres a site upgrade and theres teething issues, typically you would start with comparing apples with apples, but thats not always possible cuz theres M$ (Microsoft) too. (lol) OK just being facetious here. (that was supposed to be a joke) ... seriously...

So you start with comparing the glitches with the usual variables. Platform: PC or Mac and their particular OS (Operating System) Windoze XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion or Linux etc..., Then Browser (& Version) IE / FireFox /Chrome (Ugh {google}) / Safari etc.... Another biggie is Javascript, which most websites use and which you need to have enabled if you want to utilize the sites' full features. Some won't function at all.

If the techies can see a pattern for a particular configuration, then it helps them nail down the issue/s. Call it a process of elimination.

Where I'm concerned at least, the tech team is going to have to do the upgrading thing first. In other words, my situation is like a wingnut and is exacerbated because I tweak tweak tweak and use utilities like noscript to lock the browser down as much as possible against sites like the Google monster who tracks your every move. They also have a nasty habit of buying out sites like doubleclick, which still gets to keep it's name but is owned by Google. Just to realize how much google actually owns would give you nightmares. You can tell I have issues with google but I digress....

OK, for me, when I post, the formatting symbols show with whatever Ive used (paragraphs and bolding etc,) but only IF I disable scripts AFTER I've typed stuff in. They go away when I enable scripts, so ruth from what Im understanding your situation is almost opposite to mine.

Mods Im wondering about the toolbar. Its prettty slim on features or maybe its just me? Theres no font size on mine and of course the venerable emoticons are missing.

Psa 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (KJV)

Oct 7, 2013 11:28PM moderators wrote:

Congratulations, ruthbru - you got it to post! When you're finished your celebration, can you let everyone know how you solved the formatting problem?

Oct 7, 2013 11:56PM ruthbru wrote:

I pasted all the information into a word document, I then clicked on the clipboard, then 'paste', and then 'paste special', and then 'unformatted text'. I notice some <fonts> still sneaked through. A lot of work just to bring over some information!!!!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 8, 2013 06:51AM moderators wrote:

Musical, you bring up many good, and helpful points. Thank you.

As fr the toolbar, yes, working on that for sure! We'll also take your issues to our tech team re. Scripts.

Again, our apologies!

Oct 8, 2013 07:33AM chevyboy wrote:

I think I will just give up ever posting pictures again. I use AOL, on a desk-top. I have copied and pasted pictures on here for maybe 3 years now, with no problems.

Can't be done with this computer, and with all the suggestions and everything I've tried so far...Same with spell check... wheen I tipe ths ther s nooooo wavi red line
ANYwhere. So no way to correct.

So I will just muddle on, typing, adding no pictures, and crossing my fingers with the spelling.

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 8, 2013 08:10AM moderators wrote:

Don't give up Chevyboy! As you all know, there is a learning curve when implementing a new feature -- we truly are attempting to make the boards a better place -- just a few growing pains! Hang in there and before you know it, it'll be like nothing ever happened...

Oct 8, 2013 07:38PM melissadallas wrote:

here's a small one. The capitalization of the first character of the first sentence you type has been turned off. I'm on an Ipad.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor. Dx 5/20/2012, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Oct 8, 2013 07:44PM Musical wrote:

Mods you are doing a great job, and so far as I'm aware, NONE of us are required to pay for coming on here. Someone has to pay for bandwidth and servers etc. You have provided a place for us all to come without charge. So I for one say THANKYOU and I appreciate these boards even with glitches or things that may be a little inconvenient or even if theres features Id like to see that don't eventuate. Yes theres always gonna be upgrade issues and teething problems from time to time.

Thankyou again Mods.
Psa 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (KJV)

Page 86 of 440 (4,393 results)

Scroll to top button