May 18, 2020 03:59PM Moderators wrote:
Thank you for the feedback you're sharing on the new recommended content feature. We're listening and working hard to make sure this feature works well for all who want to use it. Working with you and taking in your feedback is helping us to address system-wide challenges as well as quick-fix bugs.
Here are a few items we are looking into right now and answers to some specific questions asked on this thread:
- Regarding the concern that our active topics have been fewer in number, we want to clarify that this is not related to the recommendation algorithm. 'Active Topics' have always been the topics that have been responded to or created within the last 24 hours. The number of pages in 'Active Topics' will always correspond with how many topics are currently 'Active'. On busier days in the community, it could be many pages, and on slower days it could be just a few. In the event that there is a thread that you would like to follow, we recommend that you "favorite" that topic to find it more easily in case it doesn't appear under the 'Active Topics'.
- Our goal in pulling this topic from 'Active Topics' was to avoid it from being recommended, however that didn't work. So, we've made this topic active again and we have found another solution to keep it out of the recommendations.
- We agree that a gender selection option in the Profile would be helpful in removing female-specific threads from recommendations, and vice versa. We're working on finding a solution as quickly as possible.
- No changes to the 'Favorites' feature have been made. The word "monitored" has always been included in the URL. "Monitored" refers to your monitoring not ours.
- Trouble-shooting is a necessary part of product progression. We are continually evaluating how to best make improvements and will continue to communicate with complete transparency.
Our request is that you please continue to work with us. For those who would prefer to wait until the system is working more smoothly, we encourage you to change your setting to "Off" in My Profile.
As many of you know from machine learning experiences on the internet, personalized features work better and better by having actual people use them in everyday life. The more you use the site - just as you would to find information and connect with other community members on our site - the more accurate and relevant recommendations will become for you and others who need the information and support that we provide.
Thanks again for your constructive feedback. To share more of your thoughts, please email the BCO team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Breastcancer.org Team