Log in to post a reply
Jul 24, 2010 04:10AM
I can see that I'm not the only one with conflicting emotions about this topic. There's certainly a plethora of different feelings about this topic, and it is extremely (and probably surprisingly) comforting to receive such passionate responses. It just shows how much you have all thought about your decisions. Congratulations.
Thanks Beesie for the amazing list - it will be very helpful as I rake through my own (conflicting) emotions.
Thanks to all of you for providing a forum in which I can feel completely supported and informed.
What I know about LCIS is this: it can be profuse, it is often bilateral, it forms ‘sheets' rather than lumps, it almost always often goes undetected other than from a biopsy for another issue. The factor that is most worrying to me is that if a woman has LCIS, she has a 1 in 5 chance of developing BC over 15 years.
Because I've ALREADY developed BC (albeit 1mm of it!) that means I'm the 1 in 5.
I've been offered 6 weeks of radiation, but have not yet made the decision to do it. Having the lumpectomy means that my 1mm LCIS is gone, but without radiation there is a 30% chance of it coming back. WITH radiation, that drops to 5-6%. But that's only for a recurrence of THAT particular tumour. What about the other LCIS... they didn't get clear margins on the LCIS during the lumpectomy, nor can I be sure if it exists in other locations in the same breast or in the other breast. The radiation doesn't affect the percentages of another tumour being ‘seeded' from the remaining LCIS - so it's still 1 in 5 (and I already know I'm one of the 1 in 5). See my thought process?
I am still weighing up my feelings about whether I can stand the 6monthly terrors, or whether I'm willing to give up my breasts. I know that without the possibility of reconstruction I am not sure whether the decision would be so easy, but that's more thinking for me to do.
I've just turned 41, I have two little boys (3 and 5) and a gorgeous supportive husband. So I want to be around to enjoy AT LEAST another 41 years. It's a tough decision and I thank you all for your (varied) input and offers of encouragement and support.
6/29/2010, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, HER2-
Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast; Mastectomy of one or both breasts: Mastectomy of my left breast, Mastectomy of my right breast; Reconstruction of my left breast: Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction of my right breast: Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement