Join Us

We are 217,583 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Surgery scheduled

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Nov 15, 2007 08:07AM - edited Nov 15, 2007 08:07AM by LCISgirl

LCISgirl wrote:

Just wanted to say how relieved I am that finally surgery is scheduled for Dec 1.  I've been to 4 surgeons and finally feel confident in the 2 docs who will coordinate bilateral mastectomy w/immediate reconstruction with expanders.  I had issues with finding drs on my plan who had privileges at the same hospital etc.  Now my concern is that even though the surgical oncologist (doing the mastectomy part of surgery) says "All of this tissue needs to come out in order to determine if there is any invasive portion" also says "this is considered preventative since it's not cancer yet" ....I know with LCIS it is rather controversial and not studied as much as the more common DCIS, but why does every doctor say it has to come out, yet the dx is not cancer?  I guess I'm a bit concerned that the insurance won't cover it as medically necessary.  All docs have said that it's extensive and they were unable to remove all of the LCIS in lumpectomy, so best thing is to take it all away.  Ok...just more venting here.  Thanks for listening and all of your prayers and good wishes are so appreciated.  Smile

"I have set before you life & death, blessings & curses, positive & negative; therefore God says choose life" Deuteronomy 30:19 Dx 12/2007, ILC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Nov 15, 2007 12:45PM ophelia wrote:

Hi LCIS girl, congrats on your surgery date. It is my understanding that ins. companies will pay for mast. w/ LCIS is involved . I would think you're bs surgeon's office should know whether or not ins. will cover.  I'll pray that all goes well with your surgery.  God Bless!!! 

Maria Dx LCIS, Stage 0, 0/2 nodes

Nov 15, 2007 08:49PM LCISgirl wrote:

Thanks Maria, that is reassuring to hear you say that.  I am very relieved to get going on this.  I am getting a bit nervous, but I know that lots of prayers are sent on my behalf. I'm sure I'll be back here with many questions etc. Thank you Smile

"I have set before you life & death, blessings & curses, positive & negative; therefore God says choose life" Deuteronomy 30:19 Dx 12/2007, ILC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 16, 2007 08:54PM LCISgirl wrote:

I heard from the case mgr today (from my insurance plan) and she said that LCIS is considered medically necessary and mastectomy (bilateral) would be covered.  That was a relief to hear!  I thought I'd share it with you all in the event you are considering PBM and concerned about insurance.  You would want to check out your individual plan, but hopefully others are the same.

Take care

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)