We are 182,880 members in 80 forums discussing 139,002 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: LCIS response to CHEMO

Topic: LCIS response to CHEMO

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Feb 16, 2017 09:31PM

hopeandfuture72 wrote:

I was diagnosed with 1.2 cm ILC with LCIS originally. The day before schedueled lumpectomy I had an MRI. BS called me that night and said I had a large (5 cm) non-mass close to the muscle. She recommended neoad. chemo to shrink back the non-mass. This was before it was biopsied. I had the biopsy the next day and it was originally diagnosed as DCIS. My BS and the oncologist read the MRI report in a way that did not seem correct to me. I asked for a second opinion and I was correct. The Dr. wrote an addendum to the MRI to clarify that the non-mass was NOT in the muscle. They still wanted to do chemo even though I questioned them since I knew DCIS was not treated with chemo. I had 3 rounds of dose-dense AC. I was still not feeling great about this treatment plan. I went to another cancer treatment center to get a second opinion. They re-read the MRI and confirmed again that it was NOT in the muscle. They also re-diagnosed the DCIS as LCIS! They said no more chemo (I was still supposed to do 4 rounds of T based on first oncologist's treatment plan)

So after months of questions and uncertainty, this is what I was confirmed to have...

1.2 cm ILC with LCIS ER/PR +, HER2 -, Magee score 11, intermediate grade/2

5 cm LCIS

HERE IS MY QUESTION? I had 4 rounds of AC. I had an MRI 9 days after the last chemo treatment. My BS called me and said it is ALL gone. No signs of either area. I was happy beyond belief. She said she was not expecting that and was very surprised to see LCIS respond so quickly and completely to chemo. Because LCIS is not treated with chemo, she can't check studies etc. Has anyone ever heard of LCIS respond completely to chemo if for some reason a patient was given chemo for another reason?

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Feb 16, 2017 10:04PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Hope, why don't you "copy & paste" your question to the ILC or IDC forums? Since none of us with "LCIS only" have had chemo for breast cancer I'm not sure anyone here can answer your question, but it isn't unusual for there to be an "alphabet soup" of atypical or in situ findings along with invasive cancer. It is a really interesting question & I'd be curious to see what answers you get. I didn't need chemo for my ovarian cancer, so I'm no help

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)