Join Us

We are 217,583 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Genetic testing after LCIS diagnosis

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Jul 26, 2017 06:26AM

NicolaSue wrote:

Hi All,

I'm having BRCA1 and 2 genetic testing after a LCIS diagnosis earlier this year. It's taken a while to get to this point. I have 2 cousins within same branch of family who had breast cancer so I was borderline in terms of eligibility for testing. I haven't come across anyone yet who has had genetic testing after only LCIS. Anyone here done so?

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 26, 2017 06:44AM MelissaDallas wrote:

I did. I was tested for BRCA, CHEK2, PTEN and another I don't remember. I was negative for everything. I was tested mainly because I had ovarian cancer & my dad's mom & sister both had colon cancer

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jul 26, 2017 04:53PM leaf wrote:

I did too, and got tested for about 10 or 15 genes. This was about 10 years after my initial LCIS diagnosis. I did test positive for a gene I had never heard of; it is a 'moderate risk' mutation of which there is not much info. At least 3 cousins had the same mutation in the same gene. This was unexpected because the affected side of the family only had a grandmother with breast cancer; the unaffected side of my family had about 3 aunts and a cousin with breast cancer. My genetics counselor said she checked the guidelines and my cousins could count toward my risk.

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 26, 2017 11:10PM - edited Jul 28, 2017 11:03PM by LoveT

This Post was deleted by LoveT.

Jul 28, 2017 10:21PM pegasus68 wrote:

After my LCIS diagnosis I was told I wouldn't qualify for genetic testing with only a cousin and aunt with breast cancer. After my sister was diagnosed with DCIS, I was approved for testing. It came back negative for all genes tested.

Jul 31, 2017 07:04AM NicolaSue wrote:

I'm guessing there are differences in approach here between one country and another. Here in the UK I've been offered testing solely because I've had LCIS and two cousins with breast cancer. The testing is only for BRCA1 and 2 however. It is fascinating - some of my friends have reacted in horror that I'm being tested as in 'you haven't got anything so wait until you have.' ! And yet I have 6 children so I consider it a responsible thing to do.

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)