We are 193,347 members in 81 forums discussing 143,423 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: Staple placed after LCIS removal?

Topic: Staple placed after LCIS removal?

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2017 07:17AM

NicolaSue wrote:

Has anyone else had a staple placed after LCIS removal. I had my LCIS removed via a vacuum assisted excision biopsy and they placed a metal staple at the same time. If there was no DCIS or invasive cancer and LCIS itself isn't cancer, what's the purpose of placing the clip.....? The clip hurts some 6 months after being placed. They didn't warn me of that!

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Finding my way slowly.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 31, 2017 09:21AM MelissaDallas wrote:

It is to identify the area as having been previously biopsied, or if your excisional biopsy had been positive for cancer, to identify the area for re-excision. I had periodic pain for a long time after my excision, but I understand that it is from the nerves that have been disrupted. I think this is more likely than the tiny marker placed.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jul 31, 2017 12:19PM NicolaSue wrote:

thanks Melissa, very helpful.

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Finding my way slowly.

Sep 10, 2017 10:18PM Corah wrote:

I have a marker in my site after my lumpectomy last year.

I have just been and had another mammogram & biopsy done last month for another lump that I found & the marker they said was useful as they could really look at that area to check. My new Lump was benign 👍 & I think it's good that they can pin point were they were.

It does take a long time for twinges to stop, I gently massage the spot & this is how I found the new lump this time. I think of it this way " having LCIS is doing me a favour, because I am always monitored, always scanned & always tested and if/when it's something else it will be in early stages & treatable"

Every night after my shower I massage body cream into my breasts & this helps my scar fade, twinge& as my lumpectomy boob feels really different than before, it helps to get to know what the new normal feels like.

Dx 10/12/2016, LCIS, Right, <1cm, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2017 Lumpectomy: Right

Sep 14, 2017 02:54AM - edited Sep 14, 2017 10:50AM by leaf

The excision almost always will cause some scarring. So the marker will alert the radiologist that the area may have some scarring. This helps in interpreting future mammograms. I assume the clip will show up in ultrasounds and MRIs, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Most clips are titanium which would interfere less with MRIs. After my MRI biopsy, they did an additional mammogram to look for the clip and area excised.

I had strange twinges for a long time both after clip placement and after excision (which removed the clip). Nerves were either disturbed or cut in either process.

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)