We are 191,706 members in 81 forums discussing 142,762 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: I won a breast MRI biopsy!

Topic: I won a breast MRI biopsy!

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Aug 13, 2017 04:26AM - edited Aug 13, 2017 04:43AM by leaf

leaf wrote:

About 7 years after ending my 5 year tamoxifen course, and a routine (now) annual breast MRI, I won a breast MRI biopsy for a

"BI-RADS Category 4: Suspicious. There is a 0.8 cm mass in the central to 6: 00 position of the right breast 4 cm from the nipple. This lesion demonstrates plateau kinetics....for which MRI guided biopsy is recommended. "

This is my first breast biopsy since 2007. Curiously, this is the opposite breast from all my other breast issues. I am curious why they call it a 'mass' since I can't feel any lumps, and nobody has given me a breast exam except me in the last year. A little surprising since more contralateral breast cancers in LCIS women are lobular, and this is described as a mass, which would be more characteristic of IDC ( or DCIS?) . Well, I'm glad its not a BIRADS 5. I sure hope this doesn't take 3 months to diagnose like my LCIS.

I'm definitely calmer than I was in 2005 when I was diagnosed with classic LCIS.

I sure don't like how Dr. Halls says "The tissue sampling or biopsy itself does not hurt, most are performed with local anesthesia so the biopsy shouldn't be at all painful."http://breast-cancer.ca/2d-biopsy/

I had a pain score of 9/10 (for bracketing, immediate pre-excision), and on my next breast biopsy, I pulled out of the clamped mammo machine due to fear and cried the whole way through it. I know this is NOT common; when I did a survey here, the average pain score (in 2006) was 5/10. I will be SURE to lather up with lidocaine jelly; if I can't get anything else, it will be Orajel.

Knowledge is power. I'll post how this turns out.

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 13, 2017 06:54AM Moderators wrote:

HI Leaf,

We're sorry to hear you're going through this scare. Please keep us posted on how everything goes!

Thinking of you,

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 13, 2017 07:21AM MelissaDallas wrote:

I'm sorry. I know how anxious you must be. Will they be able to get you in soon to get the biopsy over with

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 14, 2017 01:37AM - edited Aug 14, 2017 01:37AM by leaf

I don't know. It has to get an insurance OK first. I had my breast MRI last Fri am, the radiologist's report was written at about 3:30pm, and my provider's order was written before the end of the day, when they notified me, by logging into the secure site. I thought that was really fast. (Its sort of strange because my regular OB is on maternity leave, so she has a fill-in MD or NP who I haven't seen before writing the orders. I have my regular yearly appt with her (the fill-in MD) on Aug 23. So its rather strange to have all this stuff written by someone or multiple people (MD/NP) I haven't met.

Thank you for your kind wishes. I will keep people posted.

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 14, 2017 01:56AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Anne, one of the things I've learned from being here is that a diagnosis of cancer (or whatever) does not preclude future benign crappy BS findings. Maybe the antihormonal damped down the proliferative changes before. I hope that is the case for you. No experience of an MRI biopsy, so I'm no help there.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 14, 2017 02:07AM leaf wrote:

Thank you for your kind wishes and thoughts, Melissa. I, too, am glad tamoxifen held it back for some 10+ years. (Anne is awb, and I'm glad she's not going through this.) While I have my employer's health insurance, I don't like going through this with all the national health insurance uncertainty currently. Glad I have decent health insurance right now.

Aug 14, 2017 08:41AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Sorry about mixing you up with AWB! My insurance is so bad right now I might as well not have any, and I am paying a fortune for it

Aug 14, 2017 01:01PM - edited Aug 14, 2017 01:03PM by farmerlucy

leaf - Crossing my fingers and toes that it is benign. I hope you're doing ok. Ugh. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 14, 2017 10:13PM leaf wrote:

Thanks so much, Melissa and Lucy! No worries, Melissa about the mixup. I hope none of you has to use their health insurance, and feel so awful for the entire current health insurance situation. I think health insurance is a very complex situation that needs a lot of thought and planning, and affects all of us. Its so sad that so many people want benefits, but don't want to pay for it. The whole idea of insurance is to even out the financial risk, and if you group the sicker (higher risk) people together without the balance of the healthier, the sicker people will have to pay more, either through higher premiums or reduced benefits. I will keep you posted.

Aug 15, 2017 04:00PM cyclegal wrote:

I don't know you, leaf, but I have appreciated the great information you have posted on the LCIS boards. I'm sending positive thoughts your way that this is just a blip. Best wishes :

Dx 2/2017, LCIS, Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)