We are 204,676 members in 81 forums discussing 148,319 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: LCIS at 32

Topic: LCIS at 32

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Jan 11, 2018 11:51AM - edited Jan 11, 2018 02:49PM by SSWNC

SSWNC wrote:

I was diagnosed with LCIS after a breast reduction in August. I've seen 4 doctors, all of which have varied in treatment recommendations. I've personally decided I won't take the meds, so I'm deciding between monitoring an Double mastectomy. I understand the mastectomy is a big step but considering my age and having to monitor every 6 months for the rest of my life seems like a lot of stress. Right now I could have skin and nipple sparing mastectomy and be done withit. Am I crazy for leaning toward this option?

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)

Posts 1 - 16 (16 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jan 11, 2018 12:42PM buttonsmachine wrote:

No, I don't think you are crazy for leaning toward that option. I was also diagnosed at 32, but with IDC. I think there is a case for us younger ladies to do a BMX: assuming we live to a ripe old age, we have a long natural life span in which to develop more breast cancer. I initially chose a lumpectomy, and then a UMX, but now I wish I had just done the BMX in the beginning. It is a very personal choice, and you have to do what you think you can live with. Best wishes on your decision!

Initial diagnosis at 32 years old. Chest wall resection 18 months later due to skin metastasis, probably from needle track seeding during initial biopsy. Skin graft from right thigh! Dx 8/2016, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/1/2017 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 9/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/27/2017 AC Dx 1/2018, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/13/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 11, 2018 04:35PM LL99LL wrote:

I think considering mastectomy is totally reasonable. I'm considering it due to finding out at 48 that I have LCIS and I don't have as many years ahead of me as you do. Prophylactic mastectomy is not what most people with LCIS choose to do, but some do and it's a valid option. I'm still working on deciding what I'm going to do. Good luck with your decision.

LCIS diagnosed 10/24/17
Log in to post a reply

Jan 11, 2018 09:13PM Georgia1 wrote:

Hi there SSWNC. I know how stressful this must be for you. Please remember, however, that LCIS is not cancer. It does increase your chance of having cancer in your lifetime, but there is no immediate risk to your health. Here is some info. about how it is different than IDC:


If you have other risk factors that would be an important consideration. But to state the obvious, a double masectomy cannot be undone. You might try just monitoring for a bit and see how you feel.

Currently taking a break from Tamoxifen due to tinnitus. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 13, 2018 11:09PM HeatherJeanne wrote:

I am asking the same thing. I am 42 and was diagnosed in 2016 with LCIS. My screening month was October and I got to go for additional mammogram views and ultrasound in November. I got the all clear this year, but I was worried for 2 months before October and I was panicking for the month of October when I knew that something was found in my imaging but the doctor’s office did not call me back to tell me what the radiologist found. I was so pissed at myself that I didn’t get the PBMX last year like I planned.

I told myself that I would give myself the holidays not to worry about it and that I would make the decision in the new year. Here it is the new year and I don’t really know who to talk to. Plastic surgeon said yes, oncologist was on board, breast surgeon said he would do it, but felt it was overkill.

I would love to know what you decide. At least you have the option for nipple sparing. The PS didn’t recommend it for me

Log in to post a reply

Jan 15, 2018 12:48PM - edited Jan 15, 2018 12:48PM by BayAreaGirl

I was diagnosed PLCIS, a more nasty of variant of LCIS. My surgeon recommends close surveillance if my excisional biopsy comes back non-invasive. I remember she said if this was LCIS, she wouldn't even recommend excisional biopsy. She mentioned LCIS patients has 4-5 times higher risk of developing BC

Dx 1/3/2018, LCIS, Right, 2cm Surgery Lumpectomy: Right
Log in to post a reply

Jan 15, 2018 03:47PM - edited Jan 15, 2018 03:47PM by SSWNC

This Post was deleted by SSWNC.
Log in to post a reply

Jan 15, 2018 03:53PM SSWNC wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses. The IBIS scale for someone with my same risk factors came back 68%. Because of this I had my plastic surgeon and two oncologists recommendation double mastectomy. And I had two doctors recommend monitoring. This is why I’m so torn. I have my first MRI next week so I will see how that goes.

Log in to post a reply

Feb 12, 2018 01:41PM Jt3 wrote:

SSWNC, how did it go? I am awaiting surgery on 2/21

Dx 1/2/2018, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/20/2018 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement
Log in to post a reply

Feb 12, 2018 01:59PM farmerlucy wrote:

To me it sounds quite reasonable. I had a PBM for ALH and ADH, one step below LCIS and DCIS, and invasive was found. At 32 I would have to imagine that your breasts are extremely dense. Mammos are not that reliable with extremely dense breasts. I did the high risk screening from 33 to 51 yrs. I did the PBM mainly because I was going broke with the screening, biopsies, you know the drill.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/20/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/10/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/21/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/13/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal
Log in to post a reply

Apr 12, 2018 01:18PM Michi wrote:

Hi All-

Just diagnosed with LCIS and ALH and I am totally freaked out. I'm 34, went in for a mamo since I noticed some ever so slight swelling in my right breast. Mamo was normal, but I insisted on MRI since I am younger and with denser breast. MRI showed 2 areas of enhancement, both of which they assured me was "nothing at all to worry about" and only the larger of the two was ordered for further testing. When I went back for the MRI biopsy, only one of the areas showed again, which happened to be the smaller of the two they didn't even advise taking a sample of...They grabbed a sample because I was already there and on the table and it came back with these atypical cells. I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow who will perform the excisional biop to check for anything further. They claim none of what they found could be responsible for the slight swelling and that is likely caused from a recent, intentional 10lb weight drop. (Baby weight from youngest).

Reading all these stories now I am totally freaked out. I had no idea they would likely advise me to take anti cancer drugs, for years to come, or even consider a BMX. I have no family history of BC, nor does my age put me at elevated risk, but I just don't know what to think. I keep worrying they will find something more invasive now, I just don't get it because I have had two MRI's at this point and I can't imagine they would have missed something else, but I know these lobular cancers can hide. This is all so scary, and I appreciate at least reading these forums and knowing I am not alone.

Log in to post a reply

Apr 14, 2018 09:42AM light1candle wrote:

Hi Michi, so sorry you find yourself here, especially at such a young age. LCIS is rather uncommon, so this is a pretty exclusive “club” that no one wants to join.

Have you heard back from the breast surgeon yet and scheduled your excisional biopsy? That would be a standard next step to be sure that the atypia is the worst thing you have in the enhancing area of your MRI. If that is the case, you’re correct that the three recommended possibilities are active surveillance, taking tamoxifen (or AI’s), or a bilateral mastectomy. These are very personal and difficult choices to make.

I am much older than you but received my LCIS diagnosis in 2017 and I, too, am struggling with how to handle this information. I am not a good candidate for the anti-estrogen drugs due to other health considerations, so I am currently on a 6 mos imaging schedule, while I decide about the mastectomy option. In one way it is a “gift” to get some advanced notice of our increased risk for bc, giving us the chance to be proactive. On the other hand, there is also a heavy burden having this knowledge.

Please check in and let us know about your excisional biopsy. I will be thinking good thoughts for you and hoping for your quick recovery and that you get only good news from here.

Surgery 7/27/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS, Right
Log in to post a reply

Apr 14, 2018 03:32PM Michi wrote:

Thank you so much for responding and I’m happy I’m not alone. I met with the surgeon and asked about a BMX.. because I am young and don’t want to deal with the anxiety of having test every 6 months and drugs for 5 years with loads of potential side affects. I already have implants and am not attached in anyway, especially now when I find out I have all these abnormal cells! My LCIS had a subset of cells showing slightly pleomorphic characteristics, so that was all I needed to hear to send my anxiety through the roof! Although I’ve had two MRI’s with nothing showing up, aside from the small area they excised, I’m still worried once they get in there something else will be lurking. After all, I had a slight swelling in my right breast which started on this, so I’m very nervous about what could come back on the final path. I know the stuff can hide well, even on MRIs. My surgeon does not want to operate twice ( meaning do the excisional biopsy, then right after the bmx) , so I need to follow up for a second opinion to be sure, as he says this is not what people typically do given my situation. He actually told me to meet with second opinion, as well as his clinical oncologist and PS, as he is a surgical oncologist. My stepmother is battling stage four metastasized cancer and my father is at the end of his rope right now. I played this situation way down to my family so they wouldn’t worry, and of course my mother thinks I am overreacting and it is too drastic of a decision. Reading through some of the experiences on here is really helpful, and I’m trying to look at this as the universe giving me the gift of foresight which many did not receive. I have two very small children 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 so my main concern is living to see them grow up. How have you been coping with the anxiety of enhanced testing? Are they even able to see anything on a mammogram or you are doing MRIs as well? What a tough decision we all have. Let me know what you end up deciding, and thank you for the support

Log in to post a reply

Apr 14, 2018 04:23PM SSWNC wrote:

hey Jt3- my tests all came back fine (mammo, ultarasound, MRI) but I just can’t imagine going through all this testing each year. It’s so stressful and expensive. My Gynocologist also recommended a BMX, so at this point I have 3 doctors saying that’s the direction they would go and 1 who says that’s very extreme. I’m even more confident now in the decision to do a PBMX, and all the responses here helped me feel more secure in this choice.I will likely do it next January.

Log in to post a reply

Apr 14, 2018 04:24PM SSWNC wrote:

hi Michi, I would love to hear what you decide. We seem to be in the same boat especially with young kids to think about. I am leaning toward the PBMX and will likely do it in January.

Log in to post a reply

Apr 18, 2018 02:55PM Michi wrote:

I'm going for the BMX, May 21st. I found an amazing Dr. here in Boston at MGH, who is an expert with nipple sparing with immediate implant placement. I saw her as a second opinion and she was referred to me from a friend from school who is also a BC oncologist, so I feel good about the decision. I personally cannot handle the anxiety of going through test after test for years to come. The amount of stress it will put on my body and my family is not worth keeping my breast for. I already have implants, so I guess I mentally parted ways with my breast over 10 years ago anyways. Although it was time for an upgrade, I didn't intend for it to be this way. Oh well, I am trying to keep the attitude positive; a softball thrown from the universe, if you will. Keep me posted on your decision and I'll check back in after surgery.

Log in to post a reply

Apr 18, 2018 05:39PM Lea7777 wrote:

Best wishes in your surgery, SSWNC and Michi. The comments, background and thought process you lay out is helpful for all who read it.

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)