We are 199,591 members in 81 forums discussing 146,151 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: LCIS at 32

Topic: LCIS at 32

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Jan 11, 2018 08:51AM - edited Jan 11, 2018 11:49AM by SSWNC

SSWNC wrote:

I was diagnosed with LCIS after a breast reduction in August. I've seen 4 doctors, all of which have varied in treatment recommendations. I've personally decided I won't take the meds, so I'm deciding between monitoring an Double mastectomy. I understand the mastectomy is a big step but considering my age and having to monitor every 6 months for the rest of my life seems like a lot of stress. Right now I could have skin and nipple sparing mastectomy and be done withit. Am I crazy for leaning toward this option?

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jan 11, 2018 09:42AM buttonsmachine wrote:

No, I don't think you are crazy for leaning toward that option. I was also diagnosed at 32, but with IDC. I think there is a case for us younger ladies to do a BMX: assuming we live to a ripe old age, we have a long natural life span in which to develop more breast cancer. I initially chose a lumpectomy, and then a UMX, but now I wish I had just done the BMX in the beginning. It is a very personal choice, and you have to do what you think you can live with. Best wishes on your decision!

Dx 8/2016, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/1/2017 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 9/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/27/2017 AC

Jan 11, 2018 01:35PM LL99LL wrote:

I think considering mastectomy is totally reasonable. I'm considering it due to finding out at 48 that I have LCIS and I don't have as many years ahead of me as you do. Prophylactic mastectomy is not what most people with LCIS choose to do, but some do and it's a valid option. I'm still working on deciding what I'm going to do. Good luck with your decision.

LCIS diagnosed 10/24/17

Jan 11, 2018 06:13PM Georgia1 wrote:

Hi there SSWNC. I know how stressful this must be for you. Please remember, however, that LCIS is not cancer. It does increase your chance of having cancer in your lifetime, but there is no immediate risk to your health. Here is some info. about how it is different than IDC:

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/lcis/ca...

If you have other risk factors that would be an important consideration. But to state the obvious, a double masectomy cannot be undone. You might try just monitoring for a bit and see how you feel.

Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 13, 2018 08:09PM HeatherJeanne wrote:

I am asking the same thing. I am 42 and was diagnosed in 2016 with LCIS. My screening month was October and I got to go for additional mammogram views and ultrasound in November. I got the all clear this year, but I was worried for 2 months before October and I was panicking for the month of October when I knew that something was found in my imaging but the doctor’s office did not call me back to tell me what the radiologist found. I was so pissed at myself that I didn’t get the PBMX last year like I planned.

I told myself that I would give myself the holidays not to worry about it and that I would make the decision in the new year. Here it is the new year and I don’t really know who to talk to. Plastic surgeon said yes, oncologist was on board, breast surgeon said he would do it, but felt it was overkill.

I would love to know what you decide. At least you have the option for nipple sparing. The PS didn’t recommend it for me

Jan 15, 2018 09:48AM - edited Jan 15, 2018 09:48AM by BayAreaGirl

I was diagnosed PLCIS, a more nasty of variant of LCIS. My surgeon recommends close surveillance if my excisional biopsy comes back non-invasive. I remember she said if this was LCIS, she wouldn't even recommend excisional biopsy. She mentioned LCIS patients has 4-5 times higher risk of developing BC

Dx 1/3/2018, LCIS, Right, 2cm Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Jan 15, 2018 12:47PM - edited Jan 15, 2018 12:47PM by SSWNC

This Post was deleted by SSWNC.

Jan 15, 2018 12:53PM SSWNC wrote:

Thanks everyone for your responses. The IBIS scale for someone with my same risk factors came back 68%. Because of this I had my plastic surgeon and two oncologists recommendation double mastectomy. And I had two doctors recommend monitoring. This is why I’m so torn. I have my first MRI next week so I will see how that goes.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)