We are 216,357 members in 81 forums discussing 153,643 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone out there reducing Tamoxifen dosage?

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: Jan 14, 2019 04:42AM

greenie wrote:

They found LCIS and ADH in my left breast this spring. Since summer, I've been on 20mg Tamoxifen, and it's already been a crazy ride:

* a fibroid that ballooned up from 2cm to 12 cm.
* hot flashes
* hair thinning
* surprise crying.

So I was happy to read recently about the new study coming out of SABCS, suggesting that a 5mg dose of Tamoxifen is as effective for those of us with LCIS or atypical hyperplasia as a 20mg dose. My next doctor appointment isn't for a few months but I already have in a question asking if we can lower my dose.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has already switched to a lower dose and if side effects have improved?

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jan 15, 2019 01:29AM Marconi wrote:

I have stage 3 grade 2 IDC. Tried Anastrazole and exemestane, could not tolerate either. Oncologist prescribed tamoxifenin lastOctober. Within a few weeks I couldn’t tolerate that either. I tried reducing to 10 mgs without success. Am now on 5 mgs for the last several weeks. Aside from some fatigue and mood issues, I’m doing fairly well. I think I’m just one of those who doesn’t do well with hormone inhibitors!

Jan 18, 2019 12:44PM pegasus68 wrote:

I'm sorry I don't have information regarding side effects at 20mg, but I just wanted to chime in about the 5mg dose. Due to LCIS and strong family history, I've been offered tamoxifen for years but always rejected the idea due to potential side effects (but also always wondered if I was making a mistake by not taking it...). After discussing it with my doctor, I agreed to try the 5mg dose supported by the the TAM-01 results presented at SABCS. I got the prescription just a few weeks ago and so far no problems. I'll keep you posted.

Jan 19, 2019 03:12AM greenie wrote:

Thank you @marconi and @pegasus68. It's good to hear that the side effects are minimal at 5mg and also good to hear that other doctors are wiling to give it a try.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)