Join Us

We are 224,380 members in 83 forums discussing 163,517 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: LCIS on margin after lumpectomy

Forum: LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for LCIS.

Posted on: May 29, 2021 10:15AM

ltrinidad wrote:

I had a lumpectomy last week for ILC on the right breast and was reviewing my pathology report. Under "superior margin right breast", I read: Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS). The remaining margins are marked as "benign". And yet the surgeon said it was not necessary to remove the LCIS. Should I be concerned or do something about it? Am I being paranoid?

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

May 29, 2021 05:56PM Lea7777 wrote:

Hi Itrinidad, I hope all goes well for you after your lumpectomy. That's good your margins are benign. LCIS is not cancer, despite having the word carcinoma in it and the most current practice is often to not remove it. Therefore I don't think you should be concerned. Do ask your doctor about your particular situation, of course. Asking questions and getting info is never paranoid, just reasonable when you've had a diagnosis of ILC. Good luck to you.

May 30, 2021 01:28AM leaf wrote:

Best wishes to you! I could only find this one study, but I couldn't find any others to the contrary: that (ILC + LCIS) at diagnosis may have better outcomes than pure ILC at diagnosis.

This is just one study, and its small, but it found that In conclusion, ILC coexisting with lobular carcinoma in situ (ILC+LCIS) is characterized by less nodal involvement, lower locoregional, and distant recurrence and better DFS than pure ILC.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26574630/

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 30, 2021 06:02AM ltrinidad wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing this, leaf, it does ease my mind a little.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)