Log in to post a reply
Jan 5, 2011 07:45PM
, edited Jan 5, 2011 07:53PM
Mamaoftwo, Nikola, Lago,
The ONC convinced me to have the third mass biopsied. So, I did, and they said it looked like a swollen lymph node in my breast at the 3:00 edge. (The tumor is at 4:00.)
Well, I just received a call from the BS today saying the lymph node tested positive for BC. He said the fact that it tested positive means the cancer is in two different parts of my breast. Also, he pointed out, there's the other smaller mass next to the first one. He said that indicates the cancer is "more aggressive than we orginally thought." He's recommending mastectomy (instead of lumpectomy) because he thinks we need to take a more aggressive approach. But, he said he'll confer with the other oncologists.
Here's what's upsetting me: At first, the BS said mid-January for surgery. I called and pleaded for a surgery date before the second biopsy, but his office assured me I wouldn't have to wait long, that they just need the results first. Now the BS is saying late January / early February. When I told him I'm worried it will spread, he said BC is slow-growing.
So, the BS said what I have is "more aggressive", but then he said BC is slow-growing. I'm thinking what I have is fast-growing: It's negative for HER2, but it's a grade 3 tumor. The ultrasound measured the tumor as 1.5 cm, and then the Breast MRI measured it as 1.8 cm. two weeks later. Is that really due to the differences in types of measurement? I'm not so sure. The lymph nodes on the mammogram in late Nov. were not swollen, and now one of them is swollen and tested positive. (I also don't think it's coincidental the BC spread to the lymph node that happens to be right at the spot to which internal bleeding from the first biopsy traveled.)
Earlier today, my family doctor called and said the bloodwork she took was normal - including the blood count - except the globulin was a tiny bit low. So, I was happy, but now I'm worried all the delay in appointments and surgery is just going to let it spread. If he doesn't operate until early Feb., that will be 10 weeks after the mammogram showed it was cancer. Even though I was on top of the situation from the beginning, pushing for early appointments, etc. This is SO frustrating.
Mamaoftwo, I'm glad to see you're faring better than I am. Lago and Nikola, I hope you're doing well, too.
Jan. 2011: Left MX w/ TE (Ki67: 60%) 2011: AC x 4, Taxol x 12, Radiation, Tamoxifen, BRCA2+ Dec. 2012: Right prophylactic MX w/ TE, oophorectomy; June 2013: Final exchange; November 2013: Fat grafting; 2014: Arimidex; 2015: Femara
11/23/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-