Log in to post a reply
Jun 11, 2008 12:47PM
I didn't want chemo either, I had stage 1 grade 2 (almost grade 3, just one more point would have pushed me to grade 3, (I was 7 on the grade (8-9 is a grade 3) my tumor was over 1 cm (1.5cm), and even without the oncotype results, usually chemo was recommended for that size. My oncologist was very matter of fact and just showed me the recurrence percentages with my BC, and that he would just do 4 rounds of chemo if I decided to do the chemo...but he left it up to me...
as i was waiting for my oncotype results, I did a lot of thinking and researching, I found a lot of BC comes back even with chemo and other treatment...the med onc. wanted me to be in a trial...and the study was using the oncotype...the real truth is that it is not known if chemo is beneficial for those who fall in the mid range (that is you) and the trial would throw some women in the mid range to do chemo and tamoxifen, and then some of these women to just do the tamoxifen..I opted out of the study because I didn't want anyone making the chemo decision for me.
but I struggled with the decision and told myself if the oncotype came in the mid range middle 24-25 I would do the Chemo...but the more I thought about it, I decided I would only get the chemo if I was in the high range over 30.
Mind you I really thought my oncotype score would fall at the end of the mid range (25-29) or over 30. ultimately I prayed and felt that I would only get chemo if I fell in the high range....over 30. this is the only group that they are sure of that chemo is beneficial to.
the mid range 19-29 they aren't sure the best way to treat. that is why the trial study is being done.
Years from now, we will have the results from this study.
In the end the medical oncologist called me personally and told me chemo would not benefit me at all, I had scored a 7....and that he didn't think he had seen any score that low...
It is a hard decision, especially if your breast care team recommends strongly one way or the other...
Talk to others, pray a lot and look for answers...I will pray for you as well.
I have just finished radiation therapy and the next recommendation is tamoxifen, that is a decision I'm working on and I'm leaning more to at least give a try.
Good Luck and
2/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-