Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2010 Sisters

huntreiter3
huntreiter3 Member Posts: 12
edited November 2021 in IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma)

Do you think they will post a new sisters group for those of us diagnosed in 2010? I was just diagnosed in June and although I love this entire site it would be nice to see how others are doing that are going through it at the same time. 

Comments

• Jaim1123
    Jaim1123 Member Posts: 8

Maybe we're supposed to start the thread ourselves....  My mom was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and I love this site too.

• huntreiter3

Well Jamie, I'm so sorry we had to meet this way but since you are here, welcome to the site. I'm finding the support on here makes it so much easier to get through every day.

• mammons
    mammons Member Posts: 3

I was diagnosed in April 2010.  I had a lumpectomy with removal of 8 lymph nodes all of which were positive.  I had my first chemo July 1.  Days 3-11 were a little rough but I am feeling much better now.  This site has been so informative for me, I am so thankful for it.  When I have a question, I come here to research.  Good luck with your treatment.

• Hi there - I was diagnosed in May, and just had a re-excision lumpectomy to get clear margins last Thursday.  Post-op appt with my surgeon on Monday the 19th.  The waiting game is tough, but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook.  SLNB was negative, so that was the best news so far.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to balance out the lopsided lumpy breast so I can go out in public!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

HI all, I was diagnosed in May. Had a lumpectomy 5/10 and re-excision 5/20. My stats are below. Had Oncotype score of 17 so chose not to do chemo. I requested the Canadian Rad protocol from my radonc and just finished 16 tx last Friday. YAY!!!

Next up for me is Arimidex or not. I am being evaluated genomically by the Institute for Individualized Medicine (Dr Joe Veltmann) to see if we can control my ER/PR naturally rather than via an AI drug.

BCO has been a Godsend for me. Sorrry we are meeting this way but thankful we have this place to meet.

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

Hi all.

I was diagnosed last month.  Still trying to figure out what type of surgery to have, getting 2nd and 3rd opinions, and when it can all be done.  Still overwhelmed with all the information out there, so I'm taking the time I need to make the best decision for me regarding everything.

I am amazed at the women on this board who give so freely and openly to everyone, especially when another woman starts on this dreadful path.  It really shows that there are good people out in the world willing to do what they can to make others feel comforted during a very stressful time.

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies during this journey we must endure and will overcome...

Tori

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239

I was diagnosed in early June, and had lumpectomy and SNB last week (July 7).  I will start chemo in early August, rads in January (I think) and finish Herceptin by next August.

Everyone has said my prognosis is really great, but it will be a year from hell.  I'm trying to learn any lessons from this experience I can.  Lesson 1)  Take care of myself.  Remember to take care of myself when other people are asking me to do stuff for them.

• reposting to see if this will add to  my favorites . . .Undecided
  • huntreiter3

Tomorrow I meet my new cancer team for the first time. 9am with the Mind & Body Counselor, 10:00am with my Oncologist, 11:00am with a Naturopathic Physician and 1:00pm with a dietitian. What a day. I took Friday off as a vacation day just so I could absorb it all. (Ok, and of course spend the day on this site armed with all the new information I hope to have) I have been having anxiety issues not knowing what treatment I'm going to be looking at. I hope I can sleep easier tomorrow night. Thinking of you all! 

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599

Journey started for me March 2 w/surgery. Went back end of March because I didn't have clear margins - lymph done then too. Rad finished last week, Yeah! Will start some type of protocal in a couple of weeks, probably Arimidex.

huntreiter3 - I am impressed by the what has been offered to you. It was really difficult and sometimes impossible to get someone to suggest what I should eat, if I could exercise, etc. I went to an accupunturist on my own - afraid to say much at first, but it was really helping with the SE of the rad. I finally said something to him and he was glad I tried it.

• Huntreiter3 - how did you get all that coordinated on the same day??!!  That's awesome.  It will be a big day, for sure, but having everything consolidated is also convenient, and you'll all the info "fresh".  I'm curious to know if your insurance is covering some or all, and did you have to have referrals, etc.?  Can't wait to hear how it all goes for you!

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499

Hi, I'm a March dx, so I'll join the thread. I'm impressed, too, by the variety of treatments and options, and hope I've made the right decisions so far, it's all a little overwhelming. Wish I had found this board sooner, but I really couldn't face the reality for awhile, it sent me into panic mode. I'm glad to be here now and be able to give and get support from such awesome women!

• in_cognito
    in_cognito Member Posts: 87

I'd love to join!  I was diagnosed on 4/30, 8 weeks after giving birth to my second daughter.  I've had a lumpectomy and re-excision.  Will start TCx4 on 7/26 and will do a BMX in November with possible ooph.  Although I've learned a lot through this website, I hate being a member of this club.  I plan on returning back to my job at the end of treatment.  I am a cardiac nurse.  

I never had a sister growing up - so the best thing to come about this experience is that I now have many sisters through this site!  Thank you all for sharing your stories so freely!

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

Was diagnosed in July with IDC, Surgery on Monday July 19th for Partial Mastectomy, Sentinel Node Biopsy. Will have to wait for pathology to see what happens next. This thread is great to follow others in same position. Thanks for sharing.

• Jaim1123
    Jaim1123 Member Posts: 8

It's so very sad that there are so many people in this forum already :(  Before my mom was diagnosed I had no idea how common BC was.  It will be nice to touch base here to support each other, ask/anwser questions and hear about everyone's treatment plan.  I'm sending positive energy into the universe for all of you!!!

• the4valentines
    the4valentines Member Posts: 1

I was diagnosed April with 2 areas of IDC in my left breast.  I had BMX with SNB on May 27...I opted to have prophylactic removal of my right side.  The SNB tested positive, so I underwent an AND on June 21.  After both surgeries, a total of 12 nodes had been removed, and 4 of them tested positive.  I start chemo (TC) and Herceptin on July 20...followed by radiation and tomoxifin.

• barbaraa

Wow! already 16 of us on this thread and all of us were diagnosed in Apr-Jul. BC is a freaking epidemic!

• KAZmTAZ
    KAZmTAZ Member Posts: 33

Hi All, I am Jamie's Mom, I am so fortunate to have her in my life, and now all of you too.  Keeping you all in my heart as we travel this path together. Love and Light,  Kaz

• Maggie02
    Maggie02 Member Posts: 1

Hi Ladies,

I have been diagnosed late April, had a biopsy then a lumpectomy and it just seems to keep going. Had a second opnion and another biopsy in another area of the same breast to find it too is cancer. Both surgeons are recomending a mastectomy of the right breast. I have surgery scheduled for Aug. 3rd. this waiting has my emotions up and down and questioning my decission of should I have a double mastectomy or should I do reconstruction all because I hate the thought of how long it takes to heal! How crazy am I???? I still don't know about the lymph nodes I will find out when I wake up if I am at a stage II. That will also be a rude awakening to how many drains I will have. This is scarry and furstrating. I am not sleeping worried about the pain and everyting that goes with the recovery process. I am not in a good place today. Not good. Any words of advise please send them my way!

• barbaraa

Oh maggie. The waiting is just plain torture. Did your surgeon do a bi lateral breast MRI? That is the usual (at least in my breast center). Having one of those should help you make the decision about one or both breasts. Take a deep breath and know we are here to listen, hold your hand and rant or rave along side you.

• huntreiter3
    My appointment with my breast cancer team on Thursday went wonderfully. I really liked everyone I met with. I was told that because the Goshen Cancer Center offered innovative care that there would be no charges to me or my insurance company for the Mind & Body Counselor, the Dietitian or the Naturopathic Dr. & I have access to them any time I need them. They will even come visit me while I'm having my Chemo treatments if I request it so I don't have to loose any more time off work. My oncologist told me my treatment would consist of TCHx6 every 21 days, Tamoxifen, Radiation & Herceptin. They called me later that afternoon and scheduled me to get my port placement yesterday. I was anxious to get started so yesterday I got my port. I was not nervous and I only requested enough "happy juice" so I wouldn't feel pain. I was awake & talking & remember everything although I couldn't see because my face was draped. I was able to go home 45minutes after I was taken back to my room. I had no pain & felt fine. I even went to the mall with my cousin afterwords. By time I got home the numbness started wearing off and I took vicodin for pain but it didn't seem to help much. It wasn't really pain but it was sore from my port all the way around to my shoulder blade. When I tried to go to sleep I started having an anxiety issue about having a hunk of metal in my chest for a year. I couldn't sleep, I just wanted it out. I tried a Zanex and that didn't help, the only thing that helped was getting my ice pack and sleeping with it on my chest. It worked perfect. I did wake up very sore though and looking at this yucky lump on my chest I started my own pitty party back up. I told my husband that my chances of surviving 10 years out with no more treatment are 75%. (I'm 38) The way I felt when I woke up I was good with that. I told him I feel ready to have this out and just quit and take my chances. It wasn't worth it anymore. I feel like a walking medical case & I'm loosing myself. I know there are good days and bad and that it's ok to feel down but I sure do not like it. Hugs to everyone else that might be having a "down" day today.
  • rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658

Hi Jen--Keep strong, keep smiling----we will get through this. Take care of yourself.

• Beanius
    Beanius Member Posts: 1,494

I found out March 29, 2010. It's been a trip. I started CMF a couple weeks ago and I'm finding it doable. I had IDC (stats are below) in my right breast and had a lumpectomy with clear margins. They found calcifications in my left breast which lead to two more lumpectomies on the left, but all was B9. I had a really low oncotype score but I'm doing a milder chemo since I had 2 nodes positive. The plan is chemo through Nov. then on the rads and tamoxifen. I only wish the best for all of you beautiful ladies going through this. It seems like we have to be strong in a way we never have had to before. The medicine has come a long way and even though it's tough, we'll get through. Peace, love, happieness and health to all!! Beans

• Beanius
    Beanius Member Posts: 1,494
    P.S. I have a case of chemo brain going and my typing is not as good as it usually is and I'm definitely a little spacey...Smile
  • worldwatcher
    worldwatcher Member Posts: 46

I was diagnosed on June 8. I had a lumpectomy on July 16. One node removed, tested negative. Three days out and I have been feeling quite well with minimal pain and little soreness. I'm hoping for no complications from the surgery, such as infection.

I have an appointment with a radiological oncologist Friday, July 23rd and with an oncologist July 28th.

Since I am in my seventies, I have been struggling with the decision about further treatment ever since my diagnosis. My HER+ status seems to be a factor in my survival chances, otherwise I most likely would have opted for either radiation or no treatment. Quality of life is very important at this stage when I am in fairly good shape for my age.

I have received much appreciated support from ladies on this forum, and send my best wishes out to all you 2010 sisters.

• barbaraa

Gina, for HER+ ladies they usually treat with herceptin. BCO has a section on what to expect with it (under chemo). Because of your tumor size and no nodes, your onc may take you straight to Arimidex.

Prayers coming at you.

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499

Hi Jen,

Hang in there, take some pain meds. My port placement, too, was very painful. I had them place it sort of low so I could still play my violin. It felt like I was hit by a mack truck for about a week. I also felt like I had something jabbing me in my throat. Turns out i was feeling the line that went up into my carotid artery. It all goes away after a couple of weeks and you get used to it. I had a huge bruise thought on my good breast for about a month, so don't be surprised if this happens. Ice does help a lot. Having said all this, using the port is great, the nurses can access it any time they need to to take blood draws or give the chemo. They should give you some topical ointment (I get LMX cream) you can put on about an hour before and you won't feel a thing. Be sure to use a lot and cover it with a bandaid so it doesn't rub off on your clothes. It's much better than getting stuck all the time, especially if you have bad veins like I do. After awhile you'll forget that it's there.

Sorry you are having to go through all this. It sucks, I know.

Shelley

• Kitwe
    Kitwe Member Posts: 15

I had my BMX on June 23rd.  I had LCIS in left breast and DCIS in right.  I had a LMA put down my throat durning surgery.  It will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and I still do not have my voice completely back.  Has this happenend to anyone?

• barbaraa

Wow Kit, that's terrible. Have you asked the surgeon about it? I was fine and I had two surgeries.

• I had my post-op today and the news was mixed.  After the re-excision, the tumor was officially 3 cm, so I'm now a Stage IIb.  Margins were all clear.  However, on further examination, they did find 1.5 mm micrometastases in one of the nodes.  This means the decision for or against chemo is still iffy.  So I'm going back this Thursday for Level 1 & 2 axillary node removal to see if there are more positive nodes, get the Oncotype test taken care of, and go from there.

I was disappointed in this news, since I thought the SLNB results were final.  But I didn't know to ask any further, so there's another lesson for those awaiting results.

Riding the CancerCoaster is not an E-ticket ride!!