Topic: Parathyroid disease and breast cancer

Forum: IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IDC.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2012 07:10AM - edited Mar 18, 2012 07:12AM by sam52

Posted on: Mar 18, 2012 07:10AM - edited Mar 18, 2012 07:12AM by sam52

sam52 wrote:

I keep on seeing posts that people have had these dual diagnoses; sometimes the parathyroid disease pre-dated the bc and sometimes the other way round.

I am becoming convinced that the two are causally related, so am interested to see just how many of you have been affected. Many of us are getting osteoporotic and blaming it on chemo and/or AI therapy; hyperparathyroidism causes osteoporosis too, and many people are unaware of this and undiagnosed. This is seriously an issue that needs to be researched.

I was diagnosed with a parathyroid tumor (benign, as 99% of them are) in 2009, eight years after my bc dx - only because I eventually presented at the endocrinologist after ever-worsening osteoporosis, despite taking bisphosphonates.I had the adenoma removed, along with the gland, exactly two years ago, and as far as I know, the disease has now been halted.

Please add your coments to this thread, as I believe there are very many of us with these two diagnoses.

dx Oct 2001 IDC 1.6cm, stage II, grade 3, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 32 of 32 (318 results)

Apr 6, 2021 08:56PM lillyishere wrote:

AutismMom, yes, I had a similar situation. 6 months after I started letrozole, my thyroid levels start moving towards hypothyroid levels. Then a lump was developed within few days. Ultrasound verified the lump, and the biopsy showed it as benign. Now I need to check the it every year. On another note, thyroid levels went back to normal. Other than letrozole, I can't think of anything else causing this weird fluctuation.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 7, 2021 01:06AM ceanna wrote:

Autismmom, there may be more people with both than you think. I had both thyroid and parathyroid surgeries, but I never took AIs so don't have that in common with you. To start a new thread, go to the "All Topics" section, find the forum you want to post under and click on that forum. Then look for the button to "Start a new topic."

Dx 2014, IDC, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Internal catheter Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right)

May 3, 2021 02:17PM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Bump

Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food - Hippocrates B.C. 390 Preadjuvant chemo 3 months epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, 3 months docetaxel. Mastectomy RB Sentinel node pos Radiotherapy 3 weeks + boosters Dx 6/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/31/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2006 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 6/14/2006 Breast

May 20, 2021 09:37PM AutismMom1 wrote:

Lillyishere thank you for posting. I switched to the Letrozole because the Arimadex was messing up my joints so bad, but I am not better off joint wise with the Letrozole. And if there is even the chance it is messing up my thyroid then I want off of it. I have an MO appointment next week, going to discuss the possibility with them. Take care!

ILC Jan. 2019 Dx @ 46 Dx ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery Mastectomy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

May 25, 2021 06:58PM BEEPOSITIVE18 wrote:

Howdy albc70,

I was dx with IDC in OCt 2017 and had my BMX Jan 2018. I had been seeing an Endo at MDANDERSON for years for thyroid nodules and hypothyroidism. In 2019 I started experiencing hyperthyroidism with all the symptoms. They diagnosed me with Graves’ disease and told me I didn’t have thyroid nodules just a lumpy thyroid. They decided I needed a total thyroidectomy to get my symptoms in check. Pathology came back as a 3 cm PTC on my left lobe. Ugh. I agree that there must be some relation but the oncologists swear they are not related but both my IDC and PTC were both on my left side.

Dx 12/14/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery

Sep 30, 2021 10:33PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

Howdy albc70,

Same here Breast cancer then PTC, Had the same thing happen graves disease hit me like a hammer . While my thryroid did suddenly enlarge it was not until my numbers went crazy and I lost 60 # in about 5 mts. They told me from all the test my thyroid did not have any cancer then ended up finding a 2.2mm spot in same side as breast cancer

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 31, 2022 11:11AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello everyone,

For some reason today I was thinking about the hyperparathyroidism that I had way back in 2009 and how there was Swedish research at the time to suggest a connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer. This HPT problem gives you high calcium blood levels which are dangerous. You can read my story at the beginning of this thread and the story of the person who started it, Sam52. We got to know each other really well, but I do not know what happened to her.

I would also love to know what has happened to Ceanna who was a very strong poster on this thread.

I have been interested to read the posts where thyroid problems and breast cancer have been added to the discussions.

I know that when all this was happening to me the breast cancer surgeon, who also operated on me for the parathyroidectomy, told me that the non-cancerous adenoma tumour on my lower right parathyroid had preceded the breast cancer. She was sure of this by the size of the adenoma. She removed that affected parathyroid gland.

I think it is important to keep this thread going.

Best wishes to all of you.

Sylvia

Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food - Hippocrates B.C. 390 Preadjuvant chemo 3 months epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, 3 months docetaxel. Mastectomy RB Sentinel node pos Radiotherapy 3 weeks + boosters Dx 6/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/31/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2006 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 6/14/2006 Breast

Aug 4, 2022 05:04AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello everyone,

It would be nice if we could keep this thread active.

I remain convinced that my breast cancer was caused by an over-active parathyroid gland that was undiagnosed and not showing any symptoms of which I was aware.

My breast cancer surgeon/endocrinologist told me that the parathyroid problem had preceeded the breast cancer.

Best wishes.

Sylvia

Page 32 of 32 (318 results)

Scroll to top button