Log in to post a reply
Jul 23, 2019 12:48PM
I was dx with IDC at the end of May. I had a lumpectomy at the end of June. Final pathology report showed stage 1b, grade 1, ER+, tumor was 2.8cm and 1 out of 4 lymph nodes came back positive with 4mm of cancer. My oncologist wants me to do 6 chemo treatments, 1 every 3 weeks, then radiation and then hormone therapy. When he told me this, I told him that I did not think I wanted to do chemo. He suggested the oncotype test. He said that the decision was mine, but he wanted to make sure that I have all of the info before I make a final decision. My results are in and I go in to get them Friday, but I can already tell you, I have already decided that I will not do chemo, regardless of what the score is. I just do not think that all of the possible side effects and the guaranteed side effects of chemo are worth the small percentage change in the chance of recurrence. That is my own personal decision after doing a lot of research, speaking with my husband and lots of prayer. I will continue on with my original plan of radiation and then hormone therapy. I am also going to do as much as I can on my own with weight management, exercise, diet and supplements. Now, like I said, this is my own decision for me. That is what everyone has to so. Make a decision that they feel is best for them.
Everyone is different and responds to all of these treatments differently. I saw a lady on here the other day that was diagnosed with almost the exact same BC as me. She had a lumpectomy, did chemo, did radiation and was doing the hormone therapy when 3 years after her original diagnosis she was diagnosed with a new IDC. So once again, she did lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation and has just recently been diagnosed with stage iv metastatic BC. My point with this story is that she went through the agony of chemo twice just to have it come back and then worse. Not to sound like a downer, but my thoughts are, if it is going to come back, it is going to come back and I do not believe that chemo is a huge deciding factor in that. So, if I do not do chemo now and my cancer comes back, I will tackle it then and make new decisions then based on what I know at that time. As for now, my decision is no chemo.
I pray that everyone makes the best decisions for themselves and that there is no judgment from others for your decisions. They are our bodies and we have the right to make the decisions that we are comfortable with. My prayers are with you all!!!!
5/29/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-
6/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary
8/5/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes