Topic: Lumpectomy

Forum: IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IDC.

Posted on: Aug 30, 2021 04:34AM

Posted on: Aug 30, 2021 04:34AM

macdebbie wrote:

I was diagnosed with IDC - ER/PR+, HER2-, low K1-67 score (3%), tumor on the right side. Grade 2, on 7/29. Size of the tumor is still in question. Estimated at @6mm. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on 9/14 and have my pre-op visit today.

Is it normal to second guess your decision? I am most worried about recurrence. It seems that a lot of the people I know who have had a recurrence initially had a lumpectomy and then ended up having to have a mastectomy anyway, and the people I know who have had a mastectomy 20 years ago did fine and have never had a recurrence.

I know statistics say otherwise, that there's about a 2% difference. How many of you on here who have had either a lumpectomy or mastectomy have had a recurrence? What kind of treatment did you have - radiation (what type), chemo, endocrine therapy (Tamoxifen or AI)? Did you have Oncotype done?

At this point I care more about my health (and a recurrence) that what I look like, although if I had a mastectomy I would get reconstruction. I initially thought having a lumpectomy would be less hard on my body (shorter, less involved surgery, less to go wrong, shorter recovery period), but is that wrong since lumpectomy requires radiation which comes with its own collateral damage - heart disease, lung disease, possibly angiosarcoma, weakening of the ribs? I work for myself from home and have a pretty light schedule so recovery time is not really an issue.

I will speak to my BCS of course about this, I just wanted some real world experience and thoughts from people with my kind of cancer who have been through this.

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Sep 19, 2021 08:45AM Cancersux2021 wrote:

They said 2.4% recurrence from that 84 panel and yes it’s that invitae one I did. So basically I have to wait to see what the medical oncologist says on first appointment this Thursday. I hope they will give me all the info on the tumor removed. Thank you for reaching out and sharing. It’s definitely helping me. Thank you

Sep 19, 2021 10:22PM roo73 wrote:

Cancersux, you're in a really tough place and I hope it gets better for you soon. You're getting good questions and good advice from the women here. I second oldladyblue's comments.

I am curious about the apricot seeds. What are they for? I am only asking because I only know that stone fruit seeds contain prussic acid (AKA cyanide, very dangerous, used to manufacture poison gas in WW1). Are you taking them for medicinal purposes?

Hugs to you, and I know you will find your way through this.

Sep 20, 2021 09:32PM Cancersux2021 wrote:

Bitter Raw apricot seeds have B17(amygdalin) They help lower blood pressure, inflammation, help with pain, can kill bad cells in your body- but not fda approved for that. When you eat them and they digest it turns to cyanide and suppose to kill cancer cells. I know for a fact it has lowered my blood pressure my BP with meds was 160/110 no meds just seeds and potassium and calcium and magnesium my BP is 114/78! I brought them in to my family doctor and showed him and he knew exactly why I was eating them for the cancer and he said “you have nothing to lose”. Oh and I have bowel movements every morning no matter what and never feel bloated feel completely emptied out and it’s a soft stool no diarrhea. thank you for your support means so much to me

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Scroll to top button