Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Reconstruction

Options
Roostertail2
Roostertail2 Member Posts: 5

I will have my left breast removed this month. Has anyone done the reconstruction the same time after the removal? and haw was it

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,928
    Options

Dear Roostertail2,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for you upcoming surgery. We are glad that you reached out for support. Here are a few tips that we recommend as you get started here. You may want to complete your diagnosis and treatment information in your profile and make it public. That way it will fall under your signature line and is an easy way to communicate that part of your story. You may also want to check out the topics in the Reconstruction Forum. You may find other stories from members who chose to do immediate reconstruction. Do let us know if you need help navigating your way around. We are here to help you to get connected to the support and information that you need.

The Mods

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

Roostertail2 - So sorry you have found yourself here, but you've come to the right place.

I had both breast removed with immediate reconstruction with expanders and then switched out to implants 10 months later.

I honestly thought the surgery was going to much worse. I didn't need to use any pain meds after leaving the hospital and was able to get away with just Tylenol. The most annoying part for me were the drains, I had five, three of which were removed four days later surgery and one removed a week after that. I had one I was stuck with for about five weeks.

I hope things go smoothly for you!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    Options

hi rooster, I also had expanders with implant exchange 6 months later. Others have done direct to implant. Not sure if that's what you meant but I'm sure you will get some replies on that specific surgery too. Sorry you need to be here but you will find much support. Take care

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 110
    Options

I had a bilateral mastectomy with direct to implant reconstruction. The recovery was fine - no need for heavy pain meds, and I had two drains. I had a leg injury at the time of surgery that caused me to be nonweightbearing for five weeks after surgery, and that was far more painful. The only challenge is that after surgery, pathology found cancer in one of my nodes, so now I'm looking at doing radiation with implants, which isn't really ideal. Also, I'll need at least one more surgery for fat grafting to make my chest look more normal, plus correct any issues from the radiation.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

NNS121317- same happened to me, it ws determined during BMX that a lymph node was positive. At the time radiation was not "recommended." Four days after my exchange to implant surgery I was diagnosed with a recurrence and had to have 25 sessions of radiation. Luckily there was no damage to the implant. The only thing I've noticed is that the skin on the radiated breast is tighter and the scar is pretty much gone.

Hope everything goes well for you during rads!

• Roostertail2
    Options

Thanks so much for all the good information. Hope things go well for you

• Roostertail2
    Options

Thanks for taking the time out to help me

• Roostertail2
    Options

Thanks so much. Hope all is well for you

• Roostertail2
    Options

Thanks so much for all your help. I wish nothing but the best for you.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    Options

As someone else has mentioned, the drains are the nuisance. Once the drains were out, I felt like healing went pretty fast. I ha direct implant reconstruction immediately after my bilateral mastectomy and was on pain meds for the first 24-48 hours, but after that, only Tylenol was needed.

Make sure to rest! Your body needs the time to heal.

I wish nothing but the best for you.