Topic: Removing the “ good breast “ pros va cons

Forum: IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for IDC.

Posted on: Feb 10, 2022 04:51PM

Posted on: Feb 10, 2022 04:51PM

kumphort wrote:

hi.

So newly diagnosed with a party of tumors in my left breast. So that bad guy is coming off. Being offered to do the second one as well but on one hand seems sort of drastic.

Any advice on making this decision

Dx 2/1/2022, IDC, Left, 1cm, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Feb 23, 2022 12:00PM beesie.is.out-of-office wrote:

LW422, you sign on the dotted line before the surgery. If it says nothing about doing a SNB, then the surgeon will not be removing nodes. He can't just change his mind mid-surgery unless you give him permission. The only situation in which nodes should be removed is if there is a strong belief prior to surgery, perhaps based on an MRI, that you may have cancer in the prophylactic breast. In that case, you would have to agree in advance to the node removal. And if you do have cancer in the contralateral breast, you would need to have nodes removed on that side whether you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy (says the person who has had breast cancer in both breasts and has had nodes removed on both sides).

That said, as you point out, it is possible to develop lymphedema just from the surgery alone, although that is quite rare.

Not trying to convince you to have the PMX, but just offering up my thoughts on the points that you raised.

Feb 23, 2022 05:05PM Angelica74 wrote:

I had both breasts removed and went flat at the age of 44 for IDC in my right breast. I was so glad I had the "good" left breast removed, as atypical ductal hyperplasia was found, the dr said it would of been a second breast cancer eventually had I not removed both. No mammograms ever again is a huge benefit also! I have no regrets at all!

Feb 24, 2022 01:58PM lw422 wrote:

Hey Beesie and thanks for your comments. The surgeon says he'll not take nodes, but I don't know how he can be so certain. I don't know a lot about anatomy, but let's consider that surgeons seldom know for certain how many nodes they removed during a mastectomy until the pathology report is done. Plus, some people may have 7 nodes in the "first and second levels", but I had 32! From diagrams of the lymph system, I don't see how they can avoid all of the nodes in the Tail of Spence and under the breast tissue, but of course I'm no surgeon.

Like everything else to do with breast cancer and treatment, it's always a crap shoot and we just have to make the best decision we can with what we know. (Which in my case isn't much.) I have to factor in that I am one who is almost as afraid of lymphedema as I am of cancer.

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Scroll to top button