Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pain and sensations months after lumpectomy

Options
luvmy4sons
luvmy4sons Member Posts: 18

I had a lumpectomy of my 1 cm lump and 5 lymph nodes. There’s been some new pain and all kinds of sensations recently. It’s disconcerting. Could it be nerve endings healing? Anyone else had this

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2022
    Options

Yes, yes yes yes yes. Oh my goodness, yes. The pains and twitches and twinges come and go for a long time. It's really normal. When is your next follow-up appointment? Looks like you're just 6 months out from radiation. Check in with your breast surgeon or the RO, whoever you're meeting with next. But yes, the weird sensations do show up at weird times.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2022
    Options

Do check in with your doctor to be on the safe side, but those nerve regeneration areas from surgery can last for years. I've had several surgeries in different places over many years, and some days my body feels like a pinball machine with zaps and pings going off in every direction.

• luvmy4sons
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you. Made an appo

• luvmy4sons
    edited February 2022
    Options

Itodd as light touch to area cause nerve pain. Made an appointment. Thank you. It puts me at ease some.

• luvmy4sons
    edited April 2022
    Options

I am still having lots of strange sensations. More disconcerting now that I am off the hormonal therapy

• alleycat5
    alleycat5 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi luv! I'm just weeks out - first lumpectomy March 22 and re-excision for clean margins and sentinel node biopsy on April 1. Surgeon said basically the nerve there gets really pissed off that he messed around too close to it, so it is going to act up for awhile. He said it should improve over time. I told my oncologist this week that the skin from my underarm to nearly my elbow feels like a really really bad sunburn to the touch. And my nipple is still really tender. She said unfortunately some of that may never go away. That likely for the rest of my life I'll get zingers and shooting pains there randomly. Hoping that tender skin eases up some. It does seem better over the last week or so, but like you, it just randomly zaps me.

• sarahlaverty
    sarahlaverty Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022
    Options

im 3 years on now from DCIS lumpectomy and 6 weeks radiation….my breast has started to get weird pains over last few months im really scared the cancer has returned. Ive a mammogram and go back on 7th June for results but im beside myself with worry. Surely these pains arent normal 3 years later??

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 160
    edited May 2022
    Options

I am 2y&7m out of lumpectomy, 4 w radx & 10 lymph nodes removed. I still have numbness in my under arm area and various, at times really strong, soreness and tenderness in the treated breast. My MO & RO said it was normal & that my breast and all that area might never get back to the way it felt before tx. Best of luck! ♥️

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi sarahlaverty,

I don't know about those pains in particular and it's good you're getting things checked out. But for what it's worth, I had to have a biopsy about 2 years after my surgery for what turned out to be new scar tissue. The doctor said that the breast can keep changing/healing/recovering for 5 years after surgery.

Also to my knowledge, it is very rare/unlikely for cancer to cause pain like you describe.