Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I’m Having Iron Infusion——Share your experience please!!!!!

Options
jons_girl
jons_girl Member Posts: 444

Hi Friends:

I know lots of you have had iron infusions. I'm having one this week. I'm a little nervous because there are side effects. What have you all experienced? Was iron infusion a great thing for you? Did it improve your energy levels post infusion? I'm low in iron and pulls weren't really working well enough. So this is the option my MO and I have chosen to try. Getting dextran. Anyone else had this??

thank you in advance for sharing your experience with this.

Comments

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2022
    Options

Jons-girl,

The major side effect of an iron dextran infusion is the risk of anaphylaxis. All forms of intravenous iron have the same warning. You might expect to have a test dose infused at the beginning. Once that is finished, you might need to wait for awhile so the nurses can evaluate if you develop an allergic reaction. If not, the remainder of the dose will be infused. You won't have an increase in energy immediately. However, over a few days post infusion, you will see a therapeutic response as your reticulocyte count increases.

I hope this helps.

Jane

• jons_girl
    edited March 2022
    Options

hi Jane, thank you for sharing this info. Have you had a dextran iron infusion? How'd it go for you

• jons_girl
    edited March 2022
    Options

I had my iron infusion today. So far all is well. No side effects really. I think it’s supposed to take a week or two to feel the effects of the iron infusion tho. Will see. I was very tired post infusion. Still tired. Going to get good sleep tonight.

• innakap
    innakap Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2022
    Options

Can you please share what's the benefit of having an iron infusion..? Thanks so much!

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2022
    Options

It's to get more iron into your body and reverse any symptoms of low iron you're experiencing.

• innakap
    innakap Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2022
    Options

thank you!