Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple Reconstruction or 3D Tattoo only?

Options
ava55
ava55 Member Posts: 42
edited September 2022 in IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma)

Looking for advice following a successful bilateral mx implant. Very happy with results. Next I have to decide if I want to get a nipple reconstruction or should I just go with a 3D tattoo instead.

My surgeon said that a reconstruction means that the nipple is always erect and while it will flatten over time I should consider this. Not sure I like the sound of this so am thinking I might get a tattoo only?

So anyone who has got either done Iwould love to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks

Comments

• ava55
    ava55 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2022
    Options

Anyon want to respond?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2022
    Options

Sorry no one’s responded. I can’t help, but have you looked at the Breast Reconstruction forum? Hopefully someone can answer there or you can find a thread with the info you need.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44

• smc123
    smc123 Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi Ava55, I didn’t do anything for nipples. Before my dbl Mx my nipples were hard quite often and it was really annoying so I don’t miss that aspect. My PS said I could always change my mind. I’m 5 years out from my last surgery and I haven’t cared enough to do anything. Good luck:

• annaspar
    annaspar Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2023
    Options

My post-operative period went just fine, I also underwent cosmetic plastic surgery and now I feel great!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2022
    Options

annaspar, welcome to BCO and thanks for reaching out and sharing your story here with our members. The boards are a great resource for information and great advice, and we hope that you will benefit from it. Please keep us all posted as to how things go for you, and let us know if we can be of help.

The Mods

• Luckynumber47
    Luckynumber47 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2022
    Options

I didn’t have reconstruction but I did get 3D tattoos 6 years ago. Love them!

• Fleurdavril
    Fleurdavril Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2022
    Options

I have a surgery plan for November regarding nipples reconstruction but I'm thinking seriously about getting 3D tattoos.How much did it cost and where did you have it done? Thanks!

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    edited September 2022
    Options

I had nipple reconstruction done in 2021...you do have to create little "pillows" to ensure the nipple does not flatten down during recovery but it was not a hard process (and everything is explained very well). Yes, my nipples do stay erect but they are small and soft so not at all noticeable when I am wearing shirts. After I was done with recovery I did have the areola and nipple tattooing done, no pain. I would say the nipples look very real, job well done! GOD bless you!