Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

had a second biopsy done few months after the first...

Options
jenna2500
jenna2500 Member Posts: 6

hello everyone. I just got a 2nd biopsy done and it showed scattered atypical ductal hyperplasia...in the anterior portion of the breast. i have an 9mm tumor in the same breast too...which they found in the first biopsy. So now they have to take more tissue out, if doing a lumpectomy. Is a lumpectomy still ok to do? I'm about a 32C. i dont know how it will look and all......and plus the 4 weeks of radiation.

Did anyone regret doing a lumpectomy? or mastectomy? thoughts and any experiences greatly appreciated!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi jenna2500, and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You'll be sure to find our community is a safe space full of amazing members always willing to offer advice, information, encouragement and support -- we're all here for you!

While you wait for some responses from our helpful members (weekends tend to be a little quieter around here), you may be interested in this information from the main Breastcancer.org site:

Mastectomy vs. Lumpectomy, including info on deciding factors, advantages and disadvantages of each, and how to make a decision.

And also this helpful post/thread: Considerations: Lumpectomy w/Rads vs. UMX vs. BMX

We hope this gives you some info and we hope others will be by shortly to weigh in. Please let us know if we can do anything else to help, and welcome again!

--The Mods

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Whether it's okay to do is up to you and your doctor. If they haven't told you, ask them about your risk of recurrence with each type of treatment. If you are still on the fence or the recurrence risk is the same either way, I would opt for the choice that leaves you with the most future options. In this case, that would be a lumpectomy because if you don't like the results you can always have recon or do a mastectomy later. You don't want to choose mastectomy and then regret not doing a lumpectomy because you can't undo it!