We are 196,342 members in 81 forums discussing 144,708 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: African Americans With Breast Cancer → Topic: Tackling A Racial Gap In Breast Cancer Survival - New York Times

Topic: Tackling A Racial Gap In Breast Cancer Survival - New York Times

Forum: African Americans With Breast Cancer —

African Americans with breast cancer who want to connect.

Posted on: Dec 20, 2013 11:52PM

Alli_FLA wrote:

Found this great article on African-American women and breast cancer.  Thought you all might like. If anyone is still here...lol...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/health/tackling-a-racial-gap-in-breast-cancer-survival.html?hp&smid=tw-share&_r=0

What do you think?

I can certainly relate. I was diagnosed at stage IV. I  was recently laid off and didn't have health insurance when I started to feel signs of breast cancer. I didn't know it was breast cancer at the time but I had severe back pain and tried to heal myself because I didn't have health insurance. I was collecting unemployment and didn't think I would qualify for Medicaid so I spent all my days looking for another job with health insurance. Hoping that I would find one soon. 

Dx 4/19/2013, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2013

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Dec 21, 2013 12:14AM Moderators wrote:

Alli, thank you for posting the link!

We'd also like to point you to the Paying for Your Care section here at the main Breastcancer.org site, where you'll more information for those who are uninsured or underinsured, as well as the many financial and other resources available for women and men dealing with breast cancer. 

• The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 21, 2013 05:46AM Alli_FLA wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have Medicaid now. While in the hospital, someone from the business office helped me apply for Medicaid.  I was also able to get it when I moved to another state. 

Dx 4/19/2013, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2013

Oct 16, 2017 04:14PM careforcancer-001 wrote:

BRCA1 and BRCA2 are genes that can mutate and raise the risk of breast and/or ovarian cancer. Knowing the gene status in family allow people manage their life and probably take actions to reduce the risk of breast cancer. A recent study looked at how many African American women diagnosed with breast cancer actually took BRCA testing. It turns out only 27% of the study participants reported having BRCA testing. Any thoughts? What do you think are the major barriers for African American access to BRCA testing ? Jones, T., McCarthy, A.M., Kim, Y., &Armstrong, K. (2017). Predictors of BRCA1/2 genetic testing among Black women with breast cancer: a population-based study. Cancer medicine, 6(7):1787-1798.

Oct 17, 2017 12:59AM rogam wrote:

I think some of the black women don't have access to healthcare to cover the cost of this test.

Ro Gamble

Oct 19, 2017 02:42AM careforcancer-001 wrote:

Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies are required to pay for both genetic counseling and BRCA testing for women who meet certain criteria, such as a personal history of breast cancer.

Under Medicare's guidelines, BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic testing is covered for people with a personal history of breast cancer.

32 states Medicaid programs cover BRCA testing for qualifying individuals.

I hope all people concerned about BRCA genetic testing know that.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)