Topic: Single life after a mastectomy

Forum: Singles With Breast Cancer — Singles with breast cancer who want to connect.

Posted on: Apr 29, 2011 10:32PM

Posted on: Apr 29, 2011 10:32PM

txkari wrote:

Hello --

I'm a 47 year old single, who was diagnosed with DCIS grade 3 in early March. The affected area is quite large ... 15 cm in one direction. I have had two partial mastectomies and they still don't have clear margins, so I will be getting a full mastectomy on the left side in a few weeks.

I guess I took the Dr's assurances that I would be OK, a little too much to heart. I was ready for a little surgery and radiation. I wasn't ready to be told I needed a full mastectomy. The reality of it hit me a couple of nights ago.

I haven't met with the plastic surgeon yet, so I'm not sure what my reconstruction plan is yet. My questions are ... how did you prepare yourself to see your body after the surgery? I'm rather large breasted (DD) so the difference is going to be pretty dramatic. Have you found that men can look past the changes in your body? Do they understand? I just want to know if I need to resign myself to being alone. Is there love after a mastectomy/reconstruction?

Thanks

Dx 3/4/2011, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes

Page 248 of 756 (7,558 results)

Oct 14, 2014 09:52PM Enerva wrote:

hi, well my sister is taking it well, I mean she is calm everyone else is eating their nails and we are all very worry also cuz she has a lot of pain and that scares us. But she is still positive and fighting like a good gal so let hope. 

Tmw I go back to the bad job and we'll I am staring at my ceiling now trying to meditate and hoping it ll go fast tmw.

I get this feeling in my stomach every night before going back there. 

On the other hand I gave lots of my business cards to my mechanic and a computer store today lol

They offer to given them out for me ;) 

I really hope I get some buyer client soon so I do a deal and start making back the over 5 k I spent on this new career so far :( I am so broke now. That's the main reason why I can leave the other job. I really need to get a regular pay. When been on long term I was only getting 60% of my salary I have no clue how I survived. It's going to take a wile to pay my debt now. I am trying not to even think about it.

Good night ladies I a glad every body is well

Oh Ya the date is with a new man I was introduced to. I was not going to see him cuz i understood he may want kids. And I had the conversation and told him I can't. Now he invited me out again so I guess he is ether not caring about the kids thing or he may just want to get to know me I have no idea. I decided to go out one more time justice find out what is he looking for. 

I ll let you all know on the weekend.

Surgery 3/24/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/26/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 12/13/2017, LCIS, 6cm+, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2017 Zoladex (goserelin)

Oct 15, 2014 08:05AM jazzygirl wrote:

Enerva- sorry the job you are doing gives you angst. I can relate based on some of the things I have to deal with going back to my client site. Just keep telling yourself that you are doing this to make money while you build your dream of doing what you really want to do. You will dig out of the debt stuff too once you get making income again. And that first real estate sale is coming. Can you take a break and do a short walk at work during the day? I did that yesterday and will continue to do so just to be able to shift gears.....

I hope your sister can get through the next round of treatments. I am sorry she is having pain.

Well, good to know up front what the guy is looking for so you can decide if you want to spend your time to meet him or not.

Must get my day going. Not at the client site but many other things to do. Wishing everyone a good hump day....

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 1/6/2013 Breast Radiation Therapy 2/24/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 15, 2014 06:58PM Enerva wrote:

ok have any of you heard about chemo pills? Called xeloda 500 mg. Apparently since they know the real chemo does not work on my sis the onco ll give her those pills for 14 days. I never heard that chemo is also in pills. Wth?

I ll now investigate this in the Internet I do not believe it

Surgery 3/24/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/26/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 12/13/2017, LCIS, 6cm+, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2017 Zoladex (goserelin)

Oct 15, 2014 07:02PM Enerva wrote:

How does Xeloda work? What will it do for me?

Capecitabine belongs to the group of cancer-fighting medications known as antineoplastics, and specifically to the group of antineoplastics known as antimetabolites.Capecitabine fights cancer by killing cancer cells and preventing their growth. Capecitabine is usually used alone or in combination with other medications to treat certain types of breast cancer and colorectal cancer.

This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.

Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.

Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.

How should I use Xeloda?

The recommended dose of capecitabine varies according to body size. You may need to take a combination of 150 mg and 500 mg tablets. Capecitabine is normally given in 2 equal doses twice a day for 2 weeks followed by a rest period of one week. This cycle is repeated until treatment is complete, as assessed by your doctor.

Capecitabine tablets should be swallowed with water within 30 minutes after the end of a meal.

Many things can affect the dose of a medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here,do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.

It is important that you take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you vomit shortly after taking capecitabine, contact your doctor for instruction on whether to take more medication or not. If you miss a dose of this medication, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.

As well as interfering with the growth of cancer cells, capecitabine can interfere with some of your normal cells. This can cause a number of side effects such as mouth sores. Keep track of any side effects and report them to your doctor as suggested in the section, "What side effects are possible with this medication?"

Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from excessive heat and direct light, and keep it out of the reach of children.

Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.

Ok so this is completely news to me.

Oct 16, 2014 03:12AM Enerva wrote:

well who knows hope it works :(

Oct 16, 2014 07:15AM jazzygirl wrote:

Enerva- I have heard of chemo via pills before and think there are people who do it that way as some are unable to do the infusion type, which I think is always what they prefer. Maybe they are going to try this to see if your sister can better tolerate it. Have you thought about creating a new thread to ask other women on bco if they have done it and the pros and cons?

BB- sorry about you having to go down the Medicaid path. Hugs sister.

Back to the client site today and lots to do as I will be away next week for a conference and won't be back there until Thursday again. My tuesday there was difficult, but planning to have a better day today. I need to not let certain people get under my skin who are just unprofessional on every level.

Dx 9/14/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/14/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2012 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 1/6/2013 Breast Radiation Therapy 2/24/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/21/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 16, 2014 04:49PM juneping wrote:

I think the goal for the Obama care was the preventative measure....like annual checkup.  Once you need it for the tx it's another story. That's just my understanding. 

juneping.wordpress.com/ Dx 11/15/2013, DCIS Dx 11/15/2013, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 16, 2014 11:28PM - edited Oct 22, 2014 07:58PM by grayeyes

Enerva - I've heard of Xeloda because there is colon cancer in my family, too.  As a matter of fact, I remember pleading with the doctors to let my father try Xeloda.  (They refused.)  It's a pill that converts to a chemo known as "5-FU" when you take it.

I see that BC.org has more information on its use for breast cancer at this link:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/druglist/xeloda

Maybe the Xeloda will do the job for your sister. 

BB - I used to know and talk with a divorced woman here in our state, and she told me that, in her divorce case, the court ordered that the state had to provide her with medical insurance. 

BTW, I feel the same way about it - I hate the idea of ever relying on the government for anything.  But if the time ever comes...  well... 

E - Hugs for your sister. 

All - Have a good weekend.

2011: Left MX w/TE (Ki67: 60%) AC x 4, Taxol x 12, Radiation, Tamoxifen, BRCA2+ Dec. 2012: Right prophylactic MX w/TE, ooph; June 2013: Final exchange; Nov. 2013: Fat grafting; 2014: Arimidex; 2015: Femara REST IN PEACE, MELANIE Dx 11/23/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 18, 2014 10:03AM - edited Nov 2, 2014 07:55AM by sandpiper1

This Post was deleted by sandpiper1.
'They laugh at me because I am different; I laugh at them because they're all the same' DCIS > than 7cm with extensive comedonecrosis. Dx 4/26/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Oct 18, 2014 10:22AM juneping wrote:

piper - wow, the date seemed so nice and relaxing....Nerdy

juneping.wordpress.com/ Dx 11/15/2013, DCIS Dx 11/15/2013, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/35 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 248 of 756 (7,558 results)

Scroll to top button